Gibson Brands Forums

Dangerous dogs

LarryUK

P.S. I love pits!

I don't think there are bad dogs either per se, but I do know that there are dogs with issues they can't easily let go of....

One of my dogs (Snoop - Australian Kelpie) was a rescue and he is somewhat territorial

and protective of myself and my wife. He has a scary *** bark (he's also 75 lbs) but has never bitten anyone.

We've been training and working with him non-stop for 2 years....He's a LOT better

than he was but he still has some outbursts occasionally. He's been a tough one for me....

but I won't give up on him and I will NOT tolerate a badly behaved dog. He gets corrected anytime he is doing something he shouldn't. (Verbal, and a quick, light collar jerk)

On the other hand, I get told every day how good my dogs are (they come to work with me) and how obedient they are etc. It's about challenging yourself and challenging your dog.

If I didn't challenge Snoop on a daily basis, he'd be a madman and he would have bitten someone by now. That said, I love him to pieces because 95% of the time, he's a big suck

and so damn cute!

P.S. I love pits!

I don't think there are bad dogs either per se' date=' but I do know that there are dogs with issues they can't easily let go of....

One of my dogs (Snoop - Australian Kelpie) was a rescue and he is somewhat territorial and protective of myself and my wife. He has a scary *** bark (he's also 75 lbs) but has never bitten anyone.

We've been training and working with him non-stop for 2 years....He's a LOT better than he was but he still has some outbursts occasionally. He's been a tough one for me.....but I won't give up and

I will NOT tolerate a badly behaved dog. He gets corrected anytime he is doing something he shouldn't. (Verbal, and a quick, light collar jerk)

On the other hand, I get told every day how good my dogs are (they come to work with me) and how obedient they are etc. It's about challenging yourself and challenging your dog.

If I didn't challenge Snoop on a daily basis, he'd be a madman and he would have bitten someone by now. That said, I love him to pieces because 95% of the time, he's a big suck

and so damn cute!

[/quote']

I'm with you - I think dogs are what you make of them.

Unfortunately, when folks won't/can't/don't know how to make a dog into a great friend, the results can be disastrous. In those cases, I believe that some breeds can turn out to be more of a disaster than do others.

Here's the little bastage doing some agility. This is one of the things we do with him to lower his energy levels' date=' increase his focus and raise his confidence. He's really good at it too!

[/quote']

I love watching the agility trials at the shows. Do you compete?

Thank you...I love him to death and I don't want him to do something to someone that would have him removed from my home etc. Plus I enjoy having two well behaved dogs...its way less stressful for us. We took both our dogs down to "The Largest Festival For Dogs in North America" called Woofstock here in Toronto over the weekend. http://www.woofstock.ca/

SOOOOO MANY DOGS and most of them quite well behaved. I was impressed....i guess the people who go to that sort of thing are the sort who really have a passion for dogs and don't just have one cuz the kids wanted one. I think that's a problem a lot of the time too with angry dogs.

If you were out-weighed by 40 or 50 times' date=' you'd yap, too. For a while, anyway.[/quote']

Haha. That's exactly right. A guy that I work with has a chihuahua, and a great dane (I dunno, he's weird). The chihuahua is absolutely the top dog there.

Haha. That's exactly right. A guy that I work with has a chihuahua' date=' and a great dane (I dunno, he's weird). The chihuahua is absolutely the top dog there. [/quote']

That sounds about right.

At one point, the stable here was a 2 1/4lb male Chihuahua and a 55lb female Dalmation. The Chihuahua owned that Dalmation outright.

The meanest dog I ever encountered belonged to my uncle. Near as I can tell he did nothing to make him mean. I think he bought him mean. He kept him tied up with fairly heavy chain staked into the ground with a final drive axle from a 56 Chevy. Or maybe it was out of a Massey-Harris combine... anyways he lived in the boonies at the end of a lonely road. His wife, my aunt was wheel chair bound and he kept the dog around for her protection. She got awful lonely and scared when Unc was away working. Every time anyone drove up, that dog was jerking at the end of that log chain. Needless to say we didn't spend much time getting from the house to the car.

I looked into the eyes of that dog once. I think I saw the face of Lucifer himself. They were coal black bottomless pits. Unc and auntie were the only ones who could get close to him.

I believe he was a mutt, mostly a Border collie mix, I guess.

The meanest dog I ever encountered belonged to my uncle. Near as I can tell he did nothing to make him mean. I think he bought him mean. He kept him tied up with fairly heavy chain staked into the ground with a final drive axle from a 56 Chevy. Or maybe it was out of a Massey-Harris combine... anyways he lived in the boonies at the end of a lonely road. His wife' date=' my aunt was wheel chair bound and he kept the dog around for her protection. She got awful lonely and scared when Unc was away working. Every time anyone drove up, that dog was jerking at the end of that log chain. Needless to say we didn't spend much time getting from the house to the car.

I looked into the eyes of that dog once. I think I saw the face of Lucifer himself. They were coal black bottomless pits. Unc and auntie were the only ones who could get close to him.

I believe he was a mutt, mostly a Border collie mix, I guess.

[/quote']

Actually, what you describe is the best way to make them mean. Tied out on the end of a chain, with no real chance to interact with people makes them mean and psychotic. They're pack animals and when you keep them from their pack (human owners) they get mean.

A pack of feral dogs has long been considered by many folks as the most dangerous "animal" in North America, at least.

Frankly my experience indicates that no other animal or human is safe once a pack decision is made to attack.

Funny thing is that I once did a survey on a "history and philosophy" list to see who were dog and who were cat owners. It came down to about 40 cat, 40 dog and 20 no inclination to own either.

m

Archived