Gibson Brands Forums

Your first guitar, and do you still own it?

Guest Gibson Lifestyle

My first guitar was a Yamaha Acoustic. i don't remember the model or name. it as a $75.00 job in 1969-70. It was left at my mothers house when i left home at 18 ,in 1973. from there it was never seen again. my first Electric was a 1972-3 Gibson SG standard in walnut brown. Still miss that guitar. It was bought on 48th. St. NYC at Graysons', (I'm not sure the spelling is correct). for $215.00 . this one was sold for food and rent money.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I paid like $35 for my first. It was more than I had for money at the time but...

A no-name classical. That got upgraded with a Stella 12. Then a Harmony classical followed by a couple of Goya classicals followed by a something or another much nicer classical from Sherry Brener in Chicago.

A batch of other classicals... then the rock band and life changed a bit.

I have nothing prior to about 1975. All got swapped. #$%@$#%$#

m

Yes.

It's been up before but here it is again anyhow.

_MG_1321-1.jpg

A 1975 Grant copy of a ... well I think you can guess.

It cost £65 and I got it for my Xmas.

It (and, no doubt, me!) sounded awful so after a short while I bought a pair of DiMarzio Dual Sounds. I still sounded awful but I was louder!

It comes out of it's custom-built (what was I thinking?!) flight-case every now and then just for old-times sake.

It doesn't sound bad at all and the (bolt-on) neck is wonderful - even though the frets are a lot lower than I'm used to playing nowadays. The Dual-Sounds are the same as the Super-Distortions but with a mini-toggle for coil-tapping.

It is responsible for my 35-year-and-counting love affair with the Les Paul.

Crafter electro acoustic! Still have it!

First Electric:- Yamaha Pacifica natural wood... stolen in a burglary! A brilliant guitar for the money.

Bought the second one with insurance money from the first- Epiphone Sheraton natural wood finish.

Plays really well, but I'm going to put P94s in it!

I still have my Suzuki hummingbird acoustic copy that I got in the late 70's. Has survived a few headstock cracks and breaks.

I also still have my first electric, mid 80's Ibanez RG440, a great guitar. It still has one of the nicest necks that I have ever played, for that alone I will never sell it although it has been retired a bit now.

Lovely old thing' date=' DeVeeWee!

How does it sound?

[/quote']

It has a sharp gypsy jazz guitar sound, because the body is small ... and the strings are rusty [biggrin]

No seriously, it sounds still pretty well, but it had its life (look at the top) and the action should be improved. It's more a relic than it is a guitar really. But I'll never ever will lose that piece of wood...

It has a sharp gypsy jazz guitar sound' date=' because the body is small ... and the strings are rusty [biggrin

No seriously, it sounds still pretty well, but it had its life (look at the top) and the action should be improved. It's more a relic than it is a guitar really. But I'll never ever will lose that piece of wood...

You should first get a new set of strings! LOL!

Keep us posted if you get around to sorting her out. I really should get my f-hole arch-top sorted out too and we could play some Django as a duet...well, on second thoughts perhaps you could...I'd just watch!

You should first get a new set of strings! LOL!

Keep us posted if you get around to sorting her out. I really should get my f-hole arch-top sorted out too and we could play some Django as a duet...well' date=' on second thoughts perhaps [u']you[/u] could...I'd just watch!

That's a deal pippy and I kwow you're a fast learner, and 'fast' means a lot in gypsy jazz, lol! [biggrin]

It was a Westbury. I don't remember the model and can't find pictures of it anywhere. I wish I still had it. It was kind of a double cut Melody Maker looking guitar. Two humbuckers and a wrap around bridge.

My first guitar was a Gretsch Electromatic purchased from a music store around 1965 for $250-a sizeable chunk of cash when you are making 1.75 per hour traded it in for a SG (solid mahogany) both are long gone-but I still have a Fender twin amp from that era that sits in my house-its too heavy to take anywhere

I don't exactly still have it... I gave it to my sister when I moved out of my folk's house. It was a gift from a neighbor who found out I was teaching myself to play on a friend's guitar.

It's an "Audition", and I think it's from the UK's version of the old Woolworth's chain-

It looked a lot like this one:

audition-1.jpg

I still have the first guitars I bought with my own money... both acoustic and electric... a Hondo 12 string and an '83 Elite Strat ... does that count??

070608014.jpg

070608001.jpg

[angry]

I still have my first electric. It is a SG copy, probably something Japanese from the late 70s. I got it, second hand, when I was about 7 years old. I was about to burst when I saw it. Back then there was only one band in the world for me - AC/DC. I knew my mom and my older brother was going to look at a guitar that a relatives friend was selling that day while I was in school. So when I came home, opened the case and saw that the guitar looked exactly like Angus' (not really but close enough for me) I just freaked out.

I played it for many years, and I played a lot. It is now in pieces at my dad's house. It basically just started to fall apart. All the tuning machines are worn out, some of the frets are almost level with the board and I think I remember the electronics starting to crap out as well towards the end. The backside also shows the signs of an aborted re-finishing project. So basically it is just junk but I doubt I'll ever throw it away.

I played it for many years' date=' and I played a lot. It is now in pieces at my dad's house. It basically just started to fall apart. All the tuning machines are worn out, some of the frets are almost level with the board and I think I remember the electronics starting to crap out as well towards the end. The backside also shows the signs of an aborted re-finishing project. So basically it is just junk but I doubt I'll ever throw it away.[/quote']

I don't think to many people can make that claim. Man, playing a guitar till it dies and is beyond repair, that's dedication at it's finest. [biggrin]

Archived