Gibson Brands Forums

good idea?

Hthomas

what are your thoughts?

I would only have a s/s/s config in a Strat.

But then again I live in a cave' date=' wear animal skins and bang rocks together to make fire.

I think it's always a good idea to plan on changing pick ups before you ever hear the guitar. Makes a kind of sense' date=' you know?[/quote']

LOL! I couldn't possibly agree more!

Yes..no, Wait! No...yes!

I always get this way when I'm talking about S/S/H Strats. I love 'em, and the Bridge Pickup makes it way more versatile that a S/S/S, but a Strat without the Single Coil Bridge Pickup is lacking a couple important traditional Strat Tones. Mainly, the Bridge/Middle position doesn't "Cluck" properly.

If you won't miss that, I say, "Go For It!"

I would only have a s/s/s config in a Strat.

I was like that before I tried one of those Mahogany HSS Special Strats. Thing was amazing, the humbucker kinda mixed things up a bit. (Hint hint, new guitar coming on Saturday, the reason I got a job). If you havent already tried one, do it the next time you get the chance.

As for the original post. Go for it, it's your guitar and you can always put all the original parts back in if you don't like it. It might produce some interesting sounds. Tinkering is one way to great tone isnt it?

I was like that before I tried one of those Mahogany HSS Special Strats. Thing was amazing' date=' the humbucker kinda mixed things up a bit. (Hint hint, new guitar coming on Saturday, the reason I got a job). If you havent already tried one, do it the next time you get the chance.[/quote']

Hey! Congrats! Be sure to post snaps when it comes.

And, yes, I know I'd be narrowing my tone options with my s/s/s standpoint. I do understand that a h/s/s set-up would be a better bet for most gigging guitarists.

I just happen to like s/s/s. All my Strats have been that way and I'm used to it, I suppose.

I reckon I'm just set in my ways, that's all. Stubborn. Mule-headed. Just ask my wife!

I love HSS Strats, but I hate the way they look. I want it to look like a Strat. I am going to mod my Strat, with a preloaded pickguard and I might put a seymour duncan quarter pounder in the bridge, its supposed to be like a P90... not sure yet, but in about a month, I should have it ordered and decided.

Generally, if you have to ask whether or not its a good idea, it probably isn't. BUT, its your choice of pickups. Man up, say I'm going to put blah blah blah pickups in here, what do you think about them?

Im like that too. I have a super strat with H/H' date=' but I did grow up in the '80's so im allowed. lol[/quote']

LOL!

I just keep meaning to grow up...

Maybe one day?

Nah.

The versatility of an HSS is fantastic but I do miss the bridge single coil and the resultant in between tone with the middle pickup.

So Blackie's suggestion of a coil tap on the bridge humbucker is a great one. Even more versatility then of course.

Now I have the 335 I'm considering going the other way and replacing all 3 of mine with s/cs.

Those American Standard strats are killers.

Hey! Congrats! Be sure to post snaps when it comes.

And' date=' yes, I know I'd be narrowing my tone options with my s/s/s standpoint. I [i']do[/i] understand that a h/s/s set-up would be a better bet for most gigging guitarists.

I just happen to like s/s/s. All my Strats have been that way and I'm used to it, I suppose.

I reckon I'm just set in my ways, that's all. Stubborn. Mule-headed. Just ask my wife!

I must find my.... well... hmm... better word... crappy digital camera then!

HSS SSS, love em both.

I did find Robbie Robertsons HS set up rather interesting.

Seen here..

bad idea.

you can put a humbucker in a piece of driftwood' date=' but it is still a piece of driftwood.

anyway, fender makes a bunch of better guitars.[/quote']

Just out of curiosity, what is it that you don't like about Strats? Is it mechanical or is it one of those "Anti-Establishment" things, like the Ramones using Mosrites?

Just out of curiosity' date=' what is it that you don't like about Strats? Is it mechanical or is it one of those "Anti-Establishment" things, like the Ramones using Mosrites?[/quote']

Pretty much everything.

- I hate the way they feel. That gaping space between the bridge and the fretboard makes picking awkward. They also sit funny at the waist. I tend to play with the guitar more sideways, with it resting on my right hip. Strats are the only guitar I have played that is not conducive to that.

- Not a fan of the whammy bars they put in them.

- What I hate most is the sound that comes out of them. Always sounds like ***. Some of my favorite players (John Frusciante, David Gilmour, Jimi Hendrix, Pete Townsend, Johnny Marr) favor them and it is only their epic playing that eclipses the crappy Strat sound.

- It is the weapon of choice for one of my least favorite types of music: contemporary pop blues. Watching Clapton's Cross Roads festival on Palladium is like stabbing my ears with a rusty ice pick.

I do speak from experience. In college I had a blue CIJ Strat. After six months of fighting with it for good sound and to get comfortable playing it, I sold it. That is the only guitar I do not regret letting go. From time to time I will pick up our space mates' American Strat just to see if I still feel the same way. Every time it is that same feeling.

Pretty much everything.

- I hate the way they feel. That gaping space between the bridge and the fretboard makes picking awkward. They also sit funny at the waist. I tend to play with the guitar more sideways' date=' with it resting on my right hip. Strats are the only guitar I have played that is not conducive to that.

- What I hate most is the sound that comes out of them. Always sounds like ***. Some of my favorite players (John Frusciante, David Gilmour, Jimi Hendrix, Pete Townsend, Johnny Marr) favor them and it is only their epic playing that eclipses the crappy Strat sound.

- It is the weapon of choice for one of my least favorite types of music: contemporary pop blues. Watching Clapton's Cross Roads festival on Palladium is like stabbing my ears with a rusty ice pick.

I do speak from experience. In college I had a blue CIJ Strat. After six months of fighting with it for good sound and to get comfortable playing it, I sold it. That is the only guitar I do not regret letting go. From time to time I will pick up our space mates' American Strat just to see if I still feel the same way. Every time it is that same feeling.[/quote']

I feel the same way about Stienbergs.

I feel the same way about Stienbergs.

Steinbergers always remind me of the Blue Oyster Cult concert I went to in college. I cooked at a sports bar & grill and the kitchen manager was married to a local concert promoter so my roommate and I went for free. To my surprise Buck Dharma played a Steinberger the whole night. Funny seeing that cat tear it up on a such a silly looking guitar.

- I hate the way they feel. That gaping space between the bridge and the fretboard makes picking awkward. They also sit funny at the waist. I tend to play with the guitar more sideways' date=' with it resting on my right hip. Strats are the only guitar I have played that is not conducive to that.

- What I hate most is the sound that comes out of them...

...I do speak from experience. In college I had a blue CIJ Strat. After six months of fighting with it for good sound and to get comfortable playing it, I sold it. That is the only guitar I do not regret letting go. From time to time I will pick up our space mates' American Strat just to see if I still feel the same way. Every time it is that same feeling.[/quote']

Get a hardtail.

From the list of things evol mentions that's probably the least of his worries! LOL!

evol; Although my personal experience is pretty much the polar opposite from yours I understand where you are coming from nevertheless .

You've probably made the most convincing case I've ever read for one particular player never (again!) to own a Strat. They clearly really don't match your playing needs. The fact that you've actually had one for a reasonable period of time further strengthens your viewpoint.

Very interesting post, evol. Thanks for sharing some food for thought!

Archived