Gibson Brands Forums

Got me a 1976 Explorer, pretty cool guitar

NeoConMan

Camera is on the fritz - battery compartment door refuses to stay latched due to age and mistreatment.

It's yer basic Korina with a white guard.

Tuners were swapped in the previous millenia, and the paint has been touched up.

It has a DiMarzios, a Super Distortion with a coil tap in the bridge.

It's definitely a metal guitar (not really my thing) but it's pretty versatile.

Not original, and not perfect, but I got into it for free by moving some other gear - a first for me.

It's a collector thing as much as anything - same as the 1976 Fender Quad Reverb I got in the deal.

Yeah, the SF III was super nice but I rarely played it.

Plenty of them out there on Ebay for a grand, I can always get another one at some point.

I tried to trade the SF III to a guy for an equally nice Guild X-180 and $300 - his idea but he changed his mind.

So I traded it to Mike Patruno for the Explorer and the guy comes back in and trades in his 180 anyway!

(WTF?)

Anyhow, the 180 still hanging there in Mike's shop but I doubt I'll spend the cash.

Many congrats on the deal, Neo.

I've loved the '76 since I first saw one in an ad. in '77!

A couple of things intrigued me;

...It's yer basic Korina with a white guard...

A '76 in Korina is actually quite a rare beast. After Gibson QC inspected the supply of Korina they had bought for the re-issues the vast majority was deemed too poor quality to use and reputedly fewer than 100 instruments were able to be made with it. The rest of the series was constructed using Mahogany. Much of the latter were painted whereas the Korina ones were left Natural finish.

...It has a DiMarzios' date=' a Super Distortion with a coil tap in the bridge...[/quote']

The bridge unit is very possibly a 'Dual-Sound' which was basically an S-D with additional coil-tap wiring - and the necessary wiring-diagram! - Otherwise they were identical to the S-D.

Looking forward to the pics, of course!

Hi Neo, welcome back!! I like Explorer's...that will probably be my next guitar....I should own one now but I bought a Tele instead pretty recently...back to the drawing board!!

On another note, did you get it at Guitar Center? hehehehe JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!!!! :-

Parole officer?

Heard nothing yet....

[blink]

:-k

Anyhows, here's the Explorer.

I'll have more pics when I get a camera going again.

4744096157_5e0e055f64.jpg

Pippy, I don't KNOW that it's Korina for sure.

Just using a generality in description, since that's the look.

Could be plain ol' Mahogany for all I know - the woods are very similar.

I'm likin' the sound of the one-of-a-hundred thing though....

[cool]

Wow that guitar has darkened in a very cool way.

It is mahogany by the way, not korina on the '76 models.

The first korina reissue was in 1980 as part of the historic series and there were only 100 made. Korina is noticeably lighter.

Thank ya TG!

[cool]

On another note' date=' did you get it at Guitar Center? hehehehe JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!!!! :) [/quote']

You can tell your friends you got it Murphy aged.

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!! - Not.

[cool][biggrin][tongue][lol]

Yeah' date=' it has some honest wear and tear on it - by far the roughest guitar I've ever owned.

Even worse than some of the new guitars at Guitar Center!!!

Already had some finish work done on it, so I may touch up the hanger rash at the headstock.

Ten feet away, it looks pretty damned good.

Gotta pick it up to see the warts and scars.

Archived