Gibson Brands Forums

These boys can play!

cookieman15061

Who would want to deny that!

Albert Lee is a legend. I first saw him (literally) when he played backing guitar for EC on his 'Just One Night' tour in 1979.

Clapton was very much in his laid-back J.J. Cale-inspired phase and Lee's country playing-style was a revelation for me; I'd never listened much to C&W before, thinking it would be full of 'Country-Hick' type music but I soon changed my mind!

Great vid and three unbelievable pickers.

Does anybody remember when Vince Gill was the guitar player/lead singer for the rock & roll band Pure Prairie League. They had a bunch of FM rock hits in the seventies.

AND, Albert Lee first came to prominence with a band in the late 60's/early 70's called Head, Hands and Feet. Their song "Country Boy" was a big hit.

...Albert Lee first came to prominence with a band in the late 60's/early 70's called Head' date=' Hands and Feet. Their song "Country Boy" was a big hit.[/quote']

Funny you should mention that, L5Larry;

After hearing him play with Clapton I went out to a record shop in Edinburgh (where I was a student at the time) called, I seem to remember, 'Vintage Vinyl' and got them to track me down a copy - which I still have!

Oh, hell yeah!

Honestly, when I first heard country back in my early teens, being a city kitty, I didn't have much taste for it.

Then I discovered the less commercial stuff, things not on the radio. As it turns out what I don't like is twangy pop music, which is what most country stations play here.

Old school country and blue grass though...now that's seriously good stuff.

Them boys CAN play!

It seems to me that we're in an era where "tags" on music decreasingly describe what's there - as if it ever did. "Country" since recording started has always had tinges of everything else; ditto everything else except the "classical" book. Even "classical" has tinges of other stuff and has for ages.

You could make a case that some of the old "mountain music" stuff was more "pure," but I think we make a major error in considering that even before recording there was no crossover in terms of listening, and therefore in playing music.

m

Does anybody remember when Vince Gill was the guitar player/lead singer for the rock & roll band Pure Prairie League. They had a bunch of FM rock hits in the seventies.

Actually yes. Saw Vince and the band open up for Charlie Daniels sometime in the 70s. Its all a bit foggy now.

Well truth be told it was all a bit foggy then too.[biggrin]

that is some serious musicianship right there..... And I don't see how that could not be someones cup of tea... especially for a guitar player that has a certain level of playing ability[confused] .... Myself being a metal player, would love to be in that room listening to those guys live.

It might not be in the style you like but ya can't deny it

Y'all need to use that link to check out Danny Gatton lessons on picking. He's got some advice on picking Scotty Moore and Merle Travis rockabilly styles that will blow you away.

And L5, I remember Pure Prairie League well. Got into them and the Flying Burrito Brothers about the same time. A lot of talent in those two groups.

Great stuff guys... by no means am I trying to hijack this thread but I thought I'd offer up one of my favorite performances by a band called Carney.

Been following these guys for about 7 years locally... out on a small US tour now.

Unbelievable musicians... Zane Carney on lead. Brother Reeve on vocals.

Keep the great performance finds coming!

Archived