Gibson Brands Forums

Tips on solo-ing

Silenced Fred

I am writing songs, have a couple almost done, just some finishing touches such as solos, and some intros/riffs. I have about 5 almost done, most of the lyrics written. Most are like a blues/alternative kind of sound. Think Black Keys and White Stripes, with some softer stuff. I don't want to keep in the pentatonic for all of the songs, any suggestions on styles or different scales?

I will try and record some of the stuff, at least just a sample soon.

Thanks for the help

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Usually I just play whatever I'm thinking of at the time. I don't really have a system.

Maybe just try and pick a few choice notes out of the chords you're playing over and try to work something out with them. A pretty safe way to go is to just play the vocal melody on guitar. I usually like a somewhat abstracted version of the vocal melody. I also really like to think of something in my head and then figure out how to play it on guitar. That usually gets my playing pretty "outside the box" as far as straying away from scales that I know.

Also remember that sometimes not playing anything is better than playing. I find this to be hard for me to do. I usually prefer simplified things. Try and be tasteful. IMO a really tasteful player is George Harrison.

The best solos ever writen werent on scales man.

/chuckle

Blues scale works for me. I tend to play horizontally more than vertically. I've been told that a good lead is one you can sing... so make it talk... notes are letters, licks are words...

Remember... sometimes it isn't the notes you play that speak the loudest.... it's the ones you don't.

Does that help any at all?

/chuckle

Blues scale works for me. I tend to play horizontally more than vertically.

I'm a very horizontal player as well for the most part.... Which is why when I try and play blues' date=' I sound like a metal player trying to play the blues[blush']

The best solos ever writen werent on scales man.

[drool] um... Yeah I'm just going to.. umm..... use a screwdriver to... umm fret the notes... randomly... and yeah it'll sound great,

I solo over scales and chord forms. Simple stuff, good stuff, it's all I really need.

Leave space, use the space. Sometimes silence is the most beautiful music (IMO).

I'm a very horizontal player as well for the most part.... Which is why when I try and play blues' date=' I sound like a metal player trying to play the blues[blush']

I'm still a neophyte lead guitarist... I'm just happy when my solos sound like solos.....

Yeah I'm an old rhythm guy that always got forced to play lead because every lead guitarist we had quit or got kicked out.

I really had to work at it and though I was never a "master shredder"(LOL) I could make it howl in whatever key we were playing.

I did learn to be proficient in just about any style which served me well for a couple decades.

I agree with the others that sometimes its more what you don't play that enhances the solo.

:-s

WTF?

[blink]

#-o

Wtf are you doing here. :-s

#-o[lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol]

Yeah I'm an old rhythm guy that always got forced to play lead because every lead guitarist we had quit or got kicked out.

I really had to work at it and though I was never a "master shredder"(LOL) I could make it howl in whatever key we were playing.

I did learn to be proficient in just about any style which served me well for a couple decades.

I agree with the others that sometimes its more what you don't play that enhances the solo.

Same here. I play rhythm' date=' and am kind of being forced by myself to lend myself to lead because I tend to be a perfectionist on some things, and especially for song writing. I know how I want it to sound, but the problem is that I don't know how to get that sound.

I will just have to work with it.

I want to hear one of dem00n's solos... just sayin' [blink

Same here. I play rhythm' date=' and am kind of being forced by myself to lend myself to lead because I tend to be a perfectionist on some things, and especially for song writing. I know how I want it to sound, but the problem is that I don't know how to get that sound.

I will just have to work with it.

I want to hear one of dem00n's solos... just sayin' [blink

And i wana hear your frames!

Yeah!

Archived