Gibson Brands Forums

The latest addition to the line up

Riffster

I bought this Dobro recently, I had to order online since I could not find the import version locally. I regret not buying a USA made version I saw used for $500 4 years ago, since then their prices have sky rocketed.

The Gibson Showcase, had the import version so I had tried a couple previously.

First Dobro I ordered came in, it had a big glue run where stain in turn won't penetrate, the nut was off center by 1/16" and when I saw the tail piece was off center in the opposite direction by 1/4" I knew that'd be trouble, so I inspected the straightness of the cone and it was also rotated wrong, it looked like whoever put this together was trying to make 3 lefts to make make a right.

It did not happen I knew that thing was not going to intonate...ever... and it didn't. Sent it back, the folks at Music123 are nothing but nice. 2 weeks later I get a replacement and I cannot believe my eyes!! they sent me the very same Dobro I had returned!! somehow I felt like Kramer when he sat in mud with the very pants he was going to return (I know, not similar but just as funny)

I called Music 123, the lady on the phone was nice and surprised that I was cool about it, she apologized and upgraded the shipping.

Got my 3rd shipping and this thing is a freaking beauty, just stunning!! well put together, beautiful sound and amazing quality for the price (I also used a 15% off coupon). The stock strings have to go, asap.

I would say this compares to about 70% of a USA made version, the USA has a pickup, better cone, better frets, and a better fretboard. The fretboard on this Dobro is definitely dyed. For the money it is worth every penny.

DSCF0752.jpg

DSCF0754.jpg

DSCF0753.jpg

Forgot to mention this thing is a chick magnet, to begin with my wife asked me to buy it then every one of her female friends that has seen it has gazed at it and commented how cool it looks.

Those of you who are single and trying to score, nevermind those unreliable wingmen that end up hitting on the girl you are after, get one of these Dobros as a wingman!! [biggrin]

Cool deal StiffHand.

I'm looking at them too, although I'm looking at Gruhns. The Adams is about $1350.00, and I'm also looking at the "you know who" sig.

I can't tell if yours is square or round neck?

How are you holding it?

Round neck Murph,

I would like to add a strap button on the upper bout. It already has one on the back.

The thick plywood and a small wood block inside should hold a screw and the weight. I'll seek pro advice before I do that though.

• 3 weeks later...

And to complete the puzzle a tweed case. (classical guitar size fits the dobro)

$70, on sale for $62 and I had a 20% off coupon, $50 shipped free. Real good case for the money.

Eventually I will cover the tweed with orange-ish shellac.

1007230001.jpg

1007230002.jpg

I am working on that, this Dobro does not have a pickup and using the cheap condenser mics that I have to get a good tone on acoustics has proven elusive.

Lowdown warned me this would be the case, I'll work on it see how good it can get and I'll post it.

It does sound real good, and I am definitely interested in recording clips with it.

I showed it to a neighbours friend that plays acoustic and with the first few notes I played he was impressed with the tone.

Archived