Gibson Brands Forums

How Obsessed with a Musician or Band Are You?

crazyhair

It never fails if I am talking to someone or at a party talking about music or a musician. Out of the woodwork comes the person who knows every little exact detail of every band member or musician. Everything from their underwear size to the kind of toothpaste they use. I worked for someone once who was this way always trying to impress people about his knowledge of every musician known to man, but could not play an instrument. Maybe because they can't play, they need to make up for it, who knows?

To me the music speaks for itself!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not obsessed with any band or musician. When I was younger, I was a little obsessed with Zeppelin. I'm the local rock trivia guru. For some reason, I just soak up certain facts. Not just music. Why do I know Pastorini, Johnson, and Burrough made up the backfield of the'79 Houston Oilers?

in the 70's it was Black Sabbath for me, I wanted to know everything about them and what equipment they used and so forth, as a youngster I can see the obsession but as we grow older that wears off,, now I have an interest but certainly NOT an obsession,,

n o disrespect to you Fred, but I DONT see anything that is good about Jack White,, I see people obsessing over him but WHY ??? he is a VERY mediocre guitar player in my eyes,, I just DONT get it ??? show me something good from the man,,, PLEASE so I can TRY to understand

^ If you haven't heard it by now, just move on....not everyone likes the same stuff. There are MANY who adore Jack White and others....and thats why we are all different. [smile]

I would say the only musical obsession i ever had was Buckethead....definitely has become more of a fascination than an obsession these days...part of it was that he was so damn mysterious and anything you heard about him was questionable.

^ If you haven't heard it by now' date=' just move on....not everyone likes the same stuff. There are MANY who adore Jack White and others....and thats why we are all different. [smile

I would say the only musical obsession i ever had was Buckethead....definitely has become more of a fascination than an obsession these days...part of it was that he was so damn mysterious and anything you heard about him was questionable.

+1 ....and yea whos Jack White? Never heard of him

+1 ....and yea whos Jack White? Never heard of him

Jack White has a or had a band called the White Stripes' date=' a stripped down band with him and just a drummer,, everything I try to find from him on youtube is just PAINFULL for me to watch though :-k:-k I DONT get it [smile

Yeah pretty painful needs a band behind him but chick drummers and chick guitar players RAWK!

Listen to The Raconteurs for the love of God! The White Stripes was interesting' date=' he had some good songs, but I don't love 'em. His guitar tone was sick, because he could just do whatever he wanted. But the Raconteurs are great.

[YOUTUBE']

[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

Don't get me started on Meg... she sucked at drums, but I have to agree with what people say, it wouldn't be the same without her [cool]

sorry Fred, but you havent proved your point, NO talent there, that 4 chord song could easily be played by a beginner guitar player,, Im not trying to disrespect you our your opinion but I just dont see it,, and the fact that he is even in guitar polls among great guitar players absolutely boggles my mind !!!

sorry Fred' date=' but you havent proved your point, NO talent there, that 4 chord song could easily be played by a beginner guitar player,, Im not trying to disrespect you our your opinion but I just dont see it,, and the fact that he is even in guitar polls among great guitar players absolutely boggles my mind !!![/quote']

It's not the notes you play, its how you play it. No disrespect on my end, he's very eclectic, and not for everybody. He knows his way around a fretboard though.

It's not the notes you play' date=' its how you play it. No disrespect on my end, he's very eclectic, and not for everybody. He knows his way around a fretboard though.[/quote']

I agree with the point about HOW its played,, look at Angus Young for example, he plays some of the easiest guitar songs ever, mostly open C, D, G, A and E chords,, but with attitude and I can see why he is highly regarded,, Jack White on the other hand :-k[cool][blink]

SGSpecialGuy' date=' we get it. You don't like Jack White...get over it. No need to bash on someone else for liking him. Lets not turn this into a sandbox scuffle here kids....the word is respect...time to learn what it means.

[/quote']

[confused]

I used to be obsessed with Gary Richrath of REO. I was so into his tone, his own style of shred, those 58, 59, and 60's LP's.... Great stage presence. I still appreciate him but now I'm not into idolizing or obsessing over anyone. God is #1 for me. [confused]

makes a change for fred to get hassled over HIS fave guitar player [crying]

What now fred? People only like Jack White because his songs are so easy and that gives them hope that they can play guitar.[blink]

Just kidding![confused]

My first musical obsession was Randy Rhoads. After I heard all his songs, I went around for hours, looking for unreleased Quiet Riot tracks.

My current musical obsession is Buckethead. Everytime he releases more music, I buy it ASAP without even knowing what it's going to be like. I bought his latest 5 CD set on release date.

LOL! Shred is always mediating conflicts on this forum.

What songs does God play? I've heard the Godz play in concert. They were so wasted that they could hardly stand up while playing. I have never been obsessed over anyone or anything . The closest thing I was ever obsessed over was snow in the 70's and 80's.

LOL! Shred is always mediating conflicts on this forum.

Oh buddy...i just get so torn up about people giving other people a hard time for liking something....over and over. its incredible...like a bunch of kids sometimes....

State your opinion and move on....no need to harp on it again and again.

sorry Fred' date=' but you havent proved your point, NO talent there, that 4 chord song could easily be played by a beginner guitar player,, Im not trying to disrespect you our your opinion but I just dont see it,, and the fact that he is even in guitar polls among great guitar players absolutely boggles my mind !!![/quote']

Okay, hold up. So first of all, you insult Jack White for no reason, just because I mentioned his name. I like him, he is a big influence on me, I replied to the post about knowing a lot about him. You jump in, say he sucks for no reason. Okay, I can get that #-o

Then, you say that Young is good because he only plays open chords but with attitude? So that makes him amazing [blink]

You want attitude? Watch White play, just watch him, when he tears his hands up on the strings, when he breaks strings. That's attitude boy. And just for beginners? Alright, I want you take his whole discography, record it and post it here since any beginner can do it. I'll wait right here for it, should be interesting to see you nail every song, note for note, feeling for feeling.

He's up on the lists because he has earned it. I don't see SGSpecialguy up on any best guitarists lists. And Angus Young is a hack. AC/DC would be nowhere without the song writing [-(

Until you can do better than White, don't diss him [angry]

And when did this turn into a pissing thread? Just because I said I like a guitar player's ability, everyone jumps all over me? Sh¡t Steve, this is rough [cool]

EDIT: I think this is my longest post here :-k

**** Steve' date=' this is rough [biggrin']

tell me about it [blink]

funny enough...i have a gary moore dvd with a bonus interview on it and he states jack white as one of his fave players at the moment [cool]

tell me about it [angry]

funny enough...i have a gary moore dvd with a bonus interview on it and he states jack white as one of his fave players at the moment [blink]

Honestly' date=' listen to a lot of rock guitarists, and they will tell you for newer (usually to the time period of a couple or so years ago) guitarists, a lot of them are huge fans of Jack White [cool

Archived