Gibson Brands Forums

New tune up on SoundClick: "Blue Evening Solo"

Shnate McDuanus

Hey all,

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=1047880&songID=9449958

First new track in a very long time, and luckily I think it's my strongest attempt yet. It pretty much just started as me messing around with chord extensions and substitutions. Eventually I had a progression that was a variation on a twelve-bar blues, with a variation of the "Your Cheatin' Heart"/"You Win Again" bridge. Then I played a lead over it--I feel like I overplayed it a little, and botched some of the more ambitious licks, but overall I'm proud of it, or rather I'm not ashamed of it. Overall I'm fairly pleased with the results. It's probably my most ambitious piece yet, and I think my abilities are really starting to develop beyond where I was a few months ago, when I put up my last recording. I'm not really trying to promote myself or my act (the song streams for free on SoundClick--i.e., I make no money off of it,) I'm just looking for collective criticism, advice, and so on, and also I'm putting it out in the hopes that someone will enjoy it, at least a little. [cool][thumbup]

Best regards,

Jon.

I like it!

Since im not a pro' date=' i have one word of advice.

Bend those strings with more power![/quote']

Thanks, man.

I still have some trouble every now and then with nailing down bends and with hitting the strings precisely. It seems as if I have more trouble with it when I'm recording--I'm yet another sufferer of the infamous "red light syndrome." It had also been about two weeks since I played on strings that heavy, as I was on vacation for two weeks and played my classical guitar (with very light nylon strings) during that time, so I suppose I agree with you that my bends could use a little more power. Then again I was sort of trying for a certain degree of finesse. I'll stop making lame excuses now.

Edit: Also...is it just me, or does anyone else get to where it sounds and feels great while you're playing the tune, but then you hear it played back and wonder what it was you even liked about it in the first place?

Thanks Rocket.

I recorded into Audacity through the line out on my amp (a Marshall MG10KK--10 watt practice combo.) Gibson SG Special Faded. Dunlop Gator Grip 2.0mm picks. Whirlwind Leader (right-angle connector) from SG to amp, Monster Standard cable running from line out to computer's sound card, patched through with the aid of a no-name 1/8"-to-1/4" TRS adapter. I probably should have stopped two sentences ago.

The clean and OD sounds were both produced from the same channel on the amp. The OD was attained through cranking the clean channel [unsure], from which I managed to get a usable OD, even though it's a solid state amp. The OD channel on the amp is pretty good for high-gain stuff, but I can't really get the same sound from it as the one I used in this particular recording. We hear everywhere that a cranked-to-full solid-state amp sounds sh*tty--it's true to a degree, but in this circumstance I felt like it was the good kind of sh*tty, if you know what I mean. I also can't seem to eliminate scratchiness and feedback--I'll figure it out some day.

Hey all' date='

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=1047880&songID=9449958

First new track in a very long time, and luckily I think it's my strongest attempt yet. It pretty much just started as me messing around with chord extensions and substitutions. Eventually I had a progression that was a variation on a twelve-bar blues, with a variation of the "Your Cheatin' Heart"/"You Win Again" bridge. Then I played a lead over it--I feel like I overplayed it a little, and botched some of the more ambitious licks, but overall I'm proud of it, or rather I'm not ashamed of it. Overall I'm fairly pleased with the results. It's probably my most ambitious piece yet, and I think my abilities are really starting to develop beyond where I was a few months ago, when I put up my last recording. I'm not really trying to promote myself or my act (the song streams for free on SoundClick--i.e., I make no money off of it,) I'm just looking for collective criticism, advice, and so on, and also I'm putting it out in the hopes that someone will enjoy it, at least a little. :) :-k

Best regards,

Jon.[/quote']

jon...i loved it man! i sat hear closed my eyes and slowly rocked my head back n forth [cool], as said above...real old school vibe like willie dixon style [cool]

Thanks all.

Oh' date=' and Steve, the Willie Dixon comparison is huge to me! You have no idea how much that honestly means to me, man. [i']I Am The Blues[/i] is one of my favorite albums ever. He's a huge inspiration to me.

i heard it in your playing man, you see...looking up to your fave players/bands can only have a possitive effect imo [thumbup]

Archived