Gibson Brands Forums

What are the best books to help with guitar?

morty

Without knowing your skill level, it's tough to make a recommendation. But, as L5Larry suggested, the Mel Bay Method books are great for learning to play properly (wish I had stuck with it so I wouldn't be the slob of a player I am today).

Personally, I think the best way to improve is to play with other musicians; the best practice I ever had was back in college when I jammed on Sunday afternoons with a few dudes. We didn't have any goals other than to have a good time playing so it left plenty of room to experiment without the worry of messing up or making mistakes or having to work on songs. It was playing just for the sake of enjoyment.

Without knowing your skill level' date=' it's tough to make a recommendation. But, as L5Larry suggested, the Mel Bay Method books are great for learning to play properly (wish I had stuck with it so I wouldn't be the slob of a player I am today).

Personally, I think the best way to improve is to play with other musicians; the best practice I ever had was back in college when I jammed on Sunday afternoons with a few dudes. We didn't have any goals other than to have a good time playing so it left plenty of room to experiment without the worry of messing up or making mistakes or having to work on songs. It was playing just for the sake of enjoyment.[/quote']

That sounds fun, but I also think attempting to cover something decently can force you to become cohesive as a band and pushes each member to meet that level of skill. You know what it SHOULD sound like, after all.

I don't know about books, but I like posters with chords and posters with scales. Pertty much just read tabs if I can't figure things out by ear. Books seem too...dry.

What are is/are the best books or dvds to help with learning guitar' date=' such as scales and techniques.

thanks[/quote']

As others have said, there is a wealth of material out there.

It could help narrow things down a bit if you describe what kind of music you play - and maybe the style of playing to which you aspire. Electric, steel string acoustic or classical? Plectrum or fingerpicking? Do you want to play like Segovia? Joe Pass? Tony McManus? Tony Rice? Slash? Rory Gallagher? B.B. King? Or none of the above?

RN

I love Arlen Roths lessons, but the best books I have found is the Fretboard Logic books (Bill Edwards), and anything that Jody Fisher writes....even if you have played for decades the Fretboard Logic books will open up new ideas..

Jody Fisher is a great teacher and player. Look him up on Youtube..

That sounds fun' date=' but I also think attempting to cover something decently can force you to become cohesive as a band and pushes each member to meet that level of skill. You know what it SHOULD sound like, after all.[/quote']

Absolutely, I was just relating my own experience. But, a nice part about doing your own material is that it's totally open to experimentation where covers are mostly open to only interpretation.

Archived