Gibson Brands Forums

Burning Question: What...

Californiaman

On my Strats I use Ernie Ball 10's. On my Gibson I use Cleartone 11's, but I keep packs of Ernie Ball 11's handy as well, just in case I break a string and I dont want to change all of the strings and open a new pack. Cleartone ios EXPENSIVE AS HELL. On my acoustics I always use Martin Lights (I think those are 12's, but Im not sure), however Im leaning towards using Elixir 12's just because they are coated.

ive used d'addario for as long as ive been playing but i recently started with ernie ball. switched out my daddario 9s for ernie ball 10s on my strat. they sound good. playability wise its a bit more awkward, but i think i just need to adjust to them. with my les paul i typically go with 11s but i switched down to 10s currently, which are gibson humbucker i believe. i never used to think too much into strings, now im just experimenting.

• 2 weeks later...

Mostly D'Addario's 10s, I like the purty colored thingies on the ends....:-k

hahaha [biggrin] actually though, those colored things make changing broken strings so easy because you don't even have to think.... lol

on my strat, i went from fender super-bullets (which sucked) to ernie ball 9's, which were a little better. about a year ago, i switched to d'addario's (it was actually because of the colored things lol) and they sound pretty great. about a week ago i just picked up a set of dean markley blue steel's and i love them so far.... they have great tone... so im most likely gonna stick with the blue steels but i'll probably also keep d'addario's too just because you can buy them in bulk for pretty cheap, and they sound really good [biggrin]

as for my new acoustic, i have the standard d'addario phosphor bronzes.... i want to switch to cleartone's but im not particularly fond of paying $17 for one set of strings.... [thumbdn]

hahaha [biggrin] actually though, those colored things make changing broken strings so easy because you don't even have to think.... lol

on my strat, i went from fender super-bullets (which sucked) to ernie ball 9's, which were a little better. about a year ago, i switched to d'addario's (it was actually because of the colored things lol) and they sound pretty great. about a week ago i just picked up a set of dean markley blue steel's and i love them so far.... they have great tone... so im most likely gonna stick with the blue steels but i'll probably also keep d'addario's too just because you can buy them in bulk for pretty cheap, and they sound really good [biggrin]

as for my new acoustic, i have the standard d'addario phosphor bronzes.... i want to switch to cleartone's but im not particularly fond of paying $17 for one set of strings.... [thumbdn]

Try the Dunlop acoustic, its like 6 bucks a set, sound good, stay in tune, and they hold up to me beating on the strings

At around the one minute mark in the clip the old grey-haired bloke says "...the transition came of using a banjo string..." for the high E string.

For anyone who might not yet know...

This fashion seems to have been started by Eric Clapton who used a pair of 008's (I'm pretty sure, although they might have been 009's) gauge banjo strings; not only for the high E but also for the B. It was the frequent breakage of these that, famously, led him to be nicknamed "Slowhand" - a reference to the slow hand-clap (and word-play on his name) that would ensue every time he had to re-string during a gig.

Just out of curiosity;

Does anyone know the model of Gibson JP is brandishing in the clip?

I've had a skim through my (hardly encyclopaedic) Gibson books and can't find any reference to a Florentine-cut thinline with bound headstock and f-holes, split-parallelogram block inlays, that particular headstock inlay, what appears to be figured maple top, back and sides, the unusual tailpiece and a pair of P-90's.

It's very, very pretty!

On all my Les Pauls (mostly Custom Shop and Historic) I use D'Addario 150XL sets which are gauged .009 to .042, they sound the best and last the longest. My only exception is my SG Supreme, which came new with Gibson Brite Wires gauged .010 to .046 and I liked them and they sounded so different I stayed with them, even the heavier gauge. On my Gibson and Epiphone acoustics Martin Bronze Wound or the coated strings I can't remember the brand of but their called nanoweb coated.

Try the Dunlop acoustic, its like 6 bucks a set, sound good, stay in tune, and they hold up to me beating on the strings

hmmm i never really thought about trying dunlop strings but i guess its worth a try. all their other stuff is pretty high quality (im particularly fond of their tortex picks - best picks on the market). thanks for the suggestion [biggrin]

Archived