Gibson Brands Forums

Wives/Girlfriends jealous of your guitars?

tulsaslim

I'm sure many of you can tell the same tale: During my playing days I met many of my girlfriends at gigs. At the time they all seemed thrilled to be dating a musician and seemed to enjoy the lifestyle a whole lot.

Well, after a time, when they got to experience the 'underbelly' of the working musician's life and realized it wasn't as glamourous as they first thought, they got to the point where they came to dispise it. Sooner or later they'd quit coming to gigs and before long they started to resent your bandmates, etc., and eventually got to the point to where they'd believe the 'lifestyle' was the cause of all problems. Eventually they'd get to the point to where they considered your guitars to be 'rivals' for your affection and then there'd be the 'showdown: your guitars or me'.

And they would find out where they stood, would leave and I'd be out looking for another girlfriend.

I've known many guys whose wives/girlfriends 'figured it out' and came to terms with it & were happy forever after but those women seemed to be exceptions to the rule.

Has this happened to you?

Not at all, in fact, she encourages me to get something going, but I can't seem to keep a drummer, the one I had is doing 90 days for back-child-support, got rid of his kit to pay off some of it, wasn't enough, judge gave him a little vacation, my singer wussed out, only one left is my bass guy (we were a 3 piece), so now I just do the computer thing myself.

Sounds familiar. Eventually you find one who understands that it's in your blood, and that every man needs a hobby (and there are worse hobbies out there). Then it's important to divide your time and money sensibly between your music and your family/relationship. I do occasionally get reminded about that bit.....

My other main hobbies were playing football and working on old sports cars. I got too old to play football, and spent too much money on cars (MG, Lotus) so music is the last one standing. It's split into 2 hobbies in the last 18 months (1) playing in a band, and jam sessions, and (2) buying and modding secondhand guitars. It's much cheaper than buying and modding cars, and I keep pointing that out. There's also a (small) income from the gigs.

My first wife was jealous of my music - I divorced her (although that wasn't the only reason - I chose her for all the wrong reasons in the first place)

Second wife (see picture to the left) isn't jealous at all. I made sure to pick one that was in "the business".

At times I'm a bit jealous of her Parker PM-10 guitar ;-) what a great neck it has and it sounds good, too. It has coil taps so it can be a single coil or humbucker guitar. But IMHO the single coil sound is not as clear as the P90s in my Epiphone.

Actually, we are quite happy together, we live, sing and play together, have similar interests and besides for being lovers, we are best friends.

And that is the way it should be.

Notes

Well I'm not even close to being a working musician, but my wife is very supportive and encouraging of my musical interest. She's supported every purchase I've made, and constantly encourages me. She's my biggest fan. Ok, my only fan, but still!!

;-)

Well, I dunno, her eyes bugged out of her head when I said,"I only paid 1799.00" when I grabbed the Goldtop, but she also knows I've been pining for a Gibson Les Paul of any configuration, and she know that beside her and the kids, I love my guitars, and everything that goes with them, I couldn't be happier.

My first wife was jealous of my music - I divorced her (although that wasn't the only reason - I chose her for all the wrong reasons in the first place)

Second wife (see picture to the left) isn't jealous at all. I made sure to pick one that was in "the business".

At times I'm a bit jealous of her Parker PM-10 guitar ;-) what a great neck it has and it sounds good' date=' too. It has coil taps so it can be a single coil or humbucker guitar. But IMHO the single coil sound is not as clear as the P90s in my Epiphone.

Actually, we are quite happy together, we live, sing and play together, have similar interests and besides for being lovers, we are best friends.

And that is the way it should be. Notes [/quote']

Hey Notes, that's so cool.

I'm glad she understands. Your axe(s), horns are an extension of your soul. Making music together

is the "key thing". Play your axe or your horn cuz life is short. Now my "girls" including the big blonde

are never jealous of each other, they just wail the blues if they aren't played enough.

Well' date=' I dunno, her eyes bugged out of her head when I said,"I only paid 1799.00" when I grabbed the Goldtop, but she also knows I've been pining for a Gibson Les Paul of any configuration, and she know that beside her and the kids, I love my guitars, and everything that goes with them, I couldn't be happier.[/quote']

That's probably one of the best investments a guitar player can make. Better than money in the bank .

You can enjoy that tone while it appreciates over the years. It's part of your soul now..NOW MAKE IT ..WAIL!!!

LOL!

Well' date=' I have a friend, who says "music" cost him two marriages, but his brother and I

say "He just married the wrong girls!" So...hang in there...you'll find one, that loves

the whole package, "as is," and then...hang on to her!!!

Charlie B.[/quote']

Tell him the truth is that he successfully fought off two succubus's attacks and got to keep his soul as a reward!

My ex and the Mother of my 2 teenage girls was horribly jealous of guitars,amps playing in a band(she met me this way)

and my friends. When we met I had A 1986 Gibson LPC Black Beauty, 1966 Fender Jaguar, 1988 Guild Detonator Super Strat and a USA Kramer Pacer Deluxe as well as a JCM 800 and a Silver Jubilee 50/100 half stack. I was in a band that played locally 1 to 3 nights a week and got paid around $100-150 each a night.

Well as we started our family she insisted on less time with my friends and bands then eventually playing or practicing was always an argument. then the stuff's just in the way arguments. Finally between *****ing and her absurd spending I was forced too sell all but the Fender Jag which I was able too hide at my parents for many years.

In todays $$$ my stuff would be worth a small fortune compared too the peanuts I ended up selling them for.

Never again will I get rid of my things first unless a medical emergency or equal problem surfaces.

I have to say I have a gem. She is 100% supportive, although she doesn't have a musical bone in her body she is always there for me. There have been a few times I bought some guitars, back in the early '80s that we really didn't have a lot of money, and the money that we did have could have been put to other uses, but she still let me buy a Gibson Custom Les Paul, a Martin D-19, and an Alvarez Yari classical guitar. I still have all three, as well as several others, serveral amps and two pedalborads that are loaded. I have to say that my wife is a major blessing to me and I wouldn't let her go for anything.

Wives/Girlfriends jealous of my guitars? No, they're jealous of each other! As long as they hear me playing (music), they know I'm staying out of trouble! :) But seriously, my wife supports my musical interest 100%. I bought myself an extravagent guitar for Christmas because I felt I deserved one ....and her words were "don't you need a new amp to go with it? By the way, we need a new living room set....." #-o

Mine has been supportive. I don't gig anymore except my Sunday morning contemporary service at church and band practice on Monday nights. We play a few gigs a year such as the local county fair and a wedding reception here and there. I get to play rock and blues music both places.

She bought my first Gibson Les Paul and my Alvarez acoustic for Christmas presents. She's taken piano lessons for about a year and a half now and is doing well enough that we can jam a little together. Once or twice a year we will go hear some friends play at a local club and I get to sit in. I found a good one.

Now, if I were to start the every Friday and Saturday night thing again there could be some issues, but I'm too old to stay out till 3 am anymore. Grin.

....she insisted on less time with my friends and bands then eventually playing or practicing was always an argument. then the stuff's just in the way arguments. Finally between *****ing and her absurd spending I was forced too sell all but the Fender Jag which I was able too hide at my parents for many years.

In todays $$$ my stuff would be worth a small fortune compared too the peanuts I ended up selling them for.

Never again will I get rid of my things first unless a medical emergency or equal problem surfaces.

"stuffs in the way" That's too bad. Playing music is not the same as playing poker or other situations.

On the old forum, someone posted "50 reasons why guitars are better than women"...

With apologies to the guys with happy relationships, (and Paul Simon),

....to the tune of "50 (guitar) ways to leave your lover"

"Tryout a new Gretsch, Mitch

Buy a new Les Paul, Sir Paul

Finance a new Gibson, Mel

Check out a new "Sherry", Jerry

Get that new Strat, Matt

Just sneak it out the back, Jack,

And set yourself free....

[-( :-

My wife has been pretty supportive. In fact it was at her suggestion (if you can call telling me to "put up or shut up" a suggestion) that I took it up again after a 20 year hiatus.

She has raised an eyebrow or two at the fact that almost every week I've come home with some new accessory. This week was the Vox amplug AC30 and a new strap... last week was a digital tuner... the week before that was the pro set-up and a hard case, I think... (I'm now looking at some good headphones to go with that Amplug.) I think she thought all it was going to be was the outlay for the guitar, and maybe a lesson or two a month. I don't think she was expecting all the other stuff. (Right now I'm having to explain why my iPod earphones just aren't good enough.)

Last night she did mention that for all the cash I've spent on extra accessories over the last month I could've already bought a second guitar. I told her she made an excellent point and promptly started looking for a potential second guitar.

She did just spend $300 on art supplies herself though, so the knife cuts both ways.

My wife does'nt like music very much. She don't really care about my gigs and practices. She's a person who love her solitude sometimes, so I think I'm helping her this way. She's not jealous at all...not only for my axes...not at all..Lolll

My wife does'nt like music very much. She don't really care about my gigs and practices. She's a person who love her solitude sometimes' date=' so I think I'm helping her this way. She's not jealous at all...not only for my axes...not at all..Lolll

[/quote']

She doesn't like music?? Do you mean she's just not into music, or does she have an actual dis-like of it?

My girlfriend isn't really into music.. She likes it, but I don't think she's ever owned an album or been to a concert in her life.. She's content to listen to the (ugh) radio... And she likes to hear me play and sing... But she doesn't know a damn thing about bands or musicians or music in general... One time I played "Dear Prudence" for her and she thought I wrote it!

Hey Notes' date=' that's so cool.

I'm glad she understands. Your axe(s), horns are an extension of your soul. Making music together

is the "key thing". Play your axe or your horn cuz life is short. <...>

[/quote']

And the older I get, the more I realize that life is indeed short.

And although we all would like to believe in some kind of afterlife, their is no actual proof of that; so it this life is the proverbial "bird in the hand".

So my philosophy is to live a good life so that if there is that great gig in the sky, I'll get there, but have as much fun in this life as I can within the limits of living that good life.

And playing music is my bliss.

I did have training and a 5 year job as an Electronics Engineer (with big bucks, company car etc.) as I tried to get out of the music business and become a "normal" member of society (still playing music on the weekends). After 5 years the company laid off workers up to 15 years and I went back to music full-time and never looked for another straight job again.

I had my fling with the day-gig routine, and I can say that a bad day at playing music is better than a good day at any day-gig I've ever had or can ever imagine having.

So I'm in a duo with my wife, lover, best friend, and musical collaborator. It doesn't get much better than that.

I am a self-employed musician, I have no sick leave, no paid vacations, no company medical plan, no time card to punch, nobody to take orders from, and no job security. However, I am one of the happiest people I know.

As carverman said, "Play your axe or your horn cuz life is short." and as Joseph Campbell said, "Follow your bliss".

Good advice from both!!!

Insights and incites by Notes

Your explanation is more realistic Lerxst. She's really not into music... She cannot name one of the Beatles or anybody else except Celine Dion...Lolll

Because I'm a french speaking person, sometimes I have a hard time to put the good words in English to explain what I really ment. Sorry about that, but since I love that forum, I don't want to feel shy to participate..

:-)

Archived