Gibson Brands Forums

New Goldtop....

Memphs1978

well my day started out by calling both Guitarceters that are with in 20 mins of me asking for the goldtop.. both was sold out..... so i called MF they had 12 in stock.. so i took me a 35 min road trip... and this is what i came home with... As far as i can tell this thing is perfect... well other then the crappy strings lol but that will be changed in about 30 mins

EE070801462

Picture003.jpg

Picture002.jpg

Picture001.jpg

Yeah, love them P90 Goldtops. One thing always confused me about them though. When they did away with the trapeze tailpiece on the original LPs, didn't they go with a wrap-around bridge/tailpiece (like on the Juniors) on the P90 equiped LPs? I didn't think the stop tailpiece appeared until they started using the PAFs. Beautiful guitar in any case. Congrats!

Yeah' date=' love them P90 Goldtops. One thing always confused me about them though. When they did away with the trapeze tailpiece on the original LPs, didn't they go with a wrap-around bridge/tailpiece (like on the Juniors) on the P90 equiped LPs? I didn't think the stop tailpiece appeared until they started using the PAFs. Beautiful guitar in any case. Congrats![/quote']

Yeah, the "56" is a little bit of a cheat. I think they call it that since it was the last year for P90s in the Les Paul Standard, but you're right. The 56s had wraparound tailpieces.

I haven't been to the Musician's Friend showroom since they moved a while back. Do they let you pick up new gear now? Used to be you could only buy what they had in the showroom (returns and accessories mainly).

Yeah' date=' the "56" is a little bit of a cheat. I think they call it that since it was the last year for P90s in the Les Paul Standard, but you're right. The 56s had wraparound tailpieces.

I haven't been to the Musician's Friend showroom since they moved a while back. Do they let you pick up new gear now? Used to be you could only buy what they had in the showroom (returns and accessories mainly).[/quote']

yea just walk in tell them what your looking for and the go get it out of the back.. took em about 20 mins to get the guitar and the case but its all good

Yeah' date=' the "56" is a little bit of a cheat. I think they call it that since it was the last year for P90s in the Les Paul Standard, but you're right. The 56s had wraparound tailpieces.

I haven't been to the Musician's Friend showroom since they moved a while back. Do they let you pick up new gear now? Used to be you could only buy what they had in the showroom (returns and accessories mainly).[/quote']

No, the TOM is period correct: Gibson changed from Wraparound to TOM in late '55.

Here are some info about the specifications changes:

Goldtop Specifications

Chris

Edit: Congratulations for your Gold Top, Memphs, this model is the one i'm gassing for [-o<

Archived