Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Junior with humbucker; can you put a P90 in it?

1992mustang

Well, as you've already surmised, the easy way would be to get a P-94 or else a Phat Cat or even one of the GFS units; otherwise, if you insist on a genuine P-90, you'll have to do a bit of routing to get it to fit, and then you'll have some cavities left over from the humbucker rout but it's not really a big deal. You could always whip up some fancy new pickguard that would extend over the hole or something.

I have Kent Armstrong p90s in two epis a lp studio and a sheraton..

they come in two models..both humbuck size, one with hotter output, one with vintage output.

they have chrome black gold or cream covers..

they fit just fine.. and come with screws springs and mounting rings.

You don't have to do any routing at all.

they pop right in.

same pups as their regular size dogear or plain p90s.

And I have discounts if you want to buy from me.

I've got an extra chrome cover bridge p90 in stock in fact. ordered it by mistake.

I had gibson pups in the sheri for years.. and am very happy to have tried these KAs.

If you're willing to spend more, I can get you a Lindy Fralin P92. which is a noiseless P90 and killer primo american made tone all the way.

a little costly compared to some.

I went for the KA.. and I've never seen one that wont blow away the epi offerings.

Hey. I've got a four conductor KA humbuck too.. you could have single coil and dual coil.

But I vote against it, since I'm a P90 believer now!

*S*

I will probably stick with a humbucker unless I can get a real P90 in it. I have a Lindy Fralin P 90 in my Gibson Les Paul Junior and it is excellent.(this leaves me with a Gibson P 90 laying around looking for a home). This Junior is a fun project, and I am not gonna spend more for the pickup than the guitar. Just because I want to see how good of a sound I can get for a modest investment. I appreciate all the input from everyone and am open to more, so lemme have it. By the way, I am eye balling a GFS Bigmouth humbucker if I decide to stay with a HB.

http://store.guitarfetish.com/bibrpiwivito.html

I By the way' date=' I am eye balling a GFS Bigmouth humbucker if I decide to stay with a HB. [/size']

http://store.guitarfetish.com/bibrpiwivito.html

I just installed a set of these in my Korean Les Paul. I've read where someone described these as sounding like P90s with some humbucking "umph". That's my impression. To me they sound like they have the clarity and ring of a P90 but the fullness of a humbucker, if that makes sense. If not, try it and listen for yourself; at this price it's hard to go wrong.

If you dont mind the noise, regular p90 will work.

humbuck size has no effect on sound.

p92 is from Lindy Fralin and it will sound like a p90 without the noise.

Kent Armstrongs are my babys and I like 'em fine. Not so pricey as the Fralins either.

• 2 years later...

I just picked up a Junior that has a humbucker in it. I wanted one with a P 90 but they didn't have one. Does anyone know if the cavity for the humbucker is (or can be made to) able to accept a P90? Has anyone used a Phat Cat or p-94 in one of these?

Believe it or not, I was going to post today on how I installed a dogear P90 on an Epiphone LP jr which came with a humbucker. I had to do very little routing away of some of the cavity wood before I could get the P90 to fit. There's a slight amount of opening at the front of the pickup but, since the cavity is dark and the pickup cover is black, you don't even notice it.

By the way - this guitar is now a beast.

• 1 year later...

I just picked up a Junior that has a humbucker in it. I wanted one with a P 90 but they didn't have one. Does anyone know if the cavity for the humbucker is (or can be made to) able to accept a P90? Has anyone used a Phat Cat or p-94 in one of these?

Let me ask this question first, have you played it "as is" for any given amount of time? I have this same model, I also have an '86 LP jr, replacing the pick up with a P90 is not going to give you the same tone. Les Paul Jr.s have a "Dog Eared" P90 pick up, it is bolted to the top of the guitar not routed and inset, this gives a distinctive tone, you won't be able to replicate this with a "Soap Bar" P90 that is mounted in a cavity. I also have a '96 double cut away Les Paul Special with with Soap Bar P 90's, it sounds great but it does not sound like my Les Paul Jr. (for the reasons stated above). The reason I ask if you have played for any given time is because I have had mine for a little over a year and I love the tone I get from it as is, it is a split coil humbucker (if you pull on the volume knob it switches from a humbucker to a single coil) that has a very unique tone that you will have a hard time duplicating. The other thing to mention is modifying a Gibson is the easiest way to devalue it. We all love Gibsons because of their quality and because they hold their value better than any other guitar on the market (I have an '89 Les Paul studio that is worth more used today than what I paid for it in '89). If you want a real Les Paul Jr with a P90 go out and get one, moding this one won't give you the same tone.

Let me ask this question first, have you played it "as is" for any given amount of time? I have this same model, I also have an '86 LP jr, replacing the pick up with a P90 is not going to give you the same tone. Les Paul Jr.s have a "Dog Eared" P90 pick up, it is bolted to the top of the guitar not routed and inset, this gives a distinctive tone, you won't be able to replicate this with a "Soap Bar" P90 that is mounted in a cavity. I also have a '96 double cut away Les Paul Special with with Soap Bar P 90's, it sounds great but it does not sound like my Les Paul Jr. (for the reasons stated above). The reason I ask if you have played for any given time is because I have had mine for a little over a year and I love the tone I get from it as is, it is a split coil humbucker (if you pull on the volume knob it switches from a humbucker to a single coil) that has a very unique tone that you will have a hard time duplicating. The other thing to mention is modifying a Gibson is the easiest way to devalue it. We all love Gibsons because of their quality and because they hold their value better than any other guitar on the market (I have an '89 Les Paul studio that is worth more used today than what I paid for it in '89). If you want a real Les Paul Jr with a P90 go out and get one, moding this one won't give you the same tone.

I wouldn't hold my breath for an answer.

That post is about 4 years old.

Archived