Gibson Brands Forums

Slash

Okay, don't get too ruffled by this question. I cannot pick up a guitar magazine from the USA or the UK without seeing "Slash" on the cover. And I have received email after email from Gibson, Epiphone, and the big music stores with nothing but Slash, Slash, Slash.

What happened in the past 3 months to put Slash on the tippy top of everything guitar-related? I haven't seen this much hype since the Beatles invaded the USA back in the early 60's.

He fired a crappy agent and hired a really really good one, I guess.

Chinese Democracy is supposed to be done now, maybe he is trying to milk as much attention as he can before people start saying "velvet revolver sucks, they should go back to old GnR."

Well, I don't think it's so much to do with Slash as it is with Gibson. They've invested a ton of hype in the three signature models and it's paid off well for them; from what I hear all three models are either sold out or close to it.

The most recent Epi review I have read of the Slash model made no sense to me. They liked the fat neck, but listed it among the cons. Then they said that the string tension was too high. I'm not a physicist, but that makes little sense. Either use lighter strings or.......use lighter strings. An "E" is an "E" on a 24.75" scale guitar. This comment has always perplexed me when I have read ratings of Yamaha guitars. The action seems too "stiff". Lower it, or use thinner strings. Is there another "fix" for that? I would welcome it, as I have weak fingers.

I have no idea' date=' I absolutely disagree with his supposed guitar god status. [/quote']

Well, Herman Li is younger and cuter and can play faster.

And there's your issue right there. Slash has been around for decades, and represents a well-established sound. He has a fairly unique playing style, amp, guitar, and effects combination; listen to Guns 'n Roses music and you'll hear that right off (wish I could duplicate Welcome to the Jungle... fancy stuff to a beginner).

In 20 more years there won't be anyone else. All today's music sucks *** and nobody is going to attribute greatness to today's garage bands, screw that.

Hi - I registered just to reply to this lol!

A huuuge part of Slash being everywhere is Guitar Hero 3 the video game. He is the 'star' of that too. As he said, if it inspires people to pick up a real guitar then great!

But whether he is faster/better/more talented or not than other guitarists doesnt mean he isnt a guitar god. He is in icon - instantly recognised by millions..

I'm a huge fan - I love his 'feel' and his instimctive skill. Saw him live last month with VR and he was great - as was the band.

OK - Slashy luvvin session done :)

Cool forums btw - I'm browsing through at the mo....

I'm sorry, and I'm probably in the minority here, but I don't get this at all. An autobiography ? You got to be kidding me ! I have even read Clapton's latest yet !

I won't go as far as to say he hasn't done anything redeemable but I'm close. To each his own. IMHO, it's all about marketing and $$$$ for him and Gibson/Epi = Gibson. They have to lure newer players somehow. No disrepect for his fans, but really, an autobiography ??????

i have to agree with Spud, Gibson is going with all guns blazing now that they have successfully coverted an ex-drug addict rock star and former guitar hero/icon into a full-time corporate handpuppet.

Okay' date=' don't get too ruffled by this question. I cannot pick up a guitar magazine from the USA or the UK without seeing "Slash" on the cover. And I have received email after email from Gibson, Epiphone, and the big music stores with nothing but Slash, Slash, Slash.

What happened in the past 3 months to put Slash on the tippy top of everything guitar-related? I haven't seen this much hype since the Beatles invaded the USA back in the early 60's.[/quote']

It's called the publicity/public relations/hype machine. Slash is a once-high profile guitarist now in the twilight of his career. He's had little if any chart action of late but still has a following,most of whom have carried him from their adolescence. Since he isn't a tier one star these companies are going to get him cheap..Like Lindsay Wagner for Sleep Number beds or Wilfred Brimley for some breakfast cereal or diabetic supplies or the countless once-big name peddlers of life insurance. These people are never going to get work at the level where they were once "A" listers so they take gigs that at least help pay the rent. It's kind of sad but true. I'd venture that most of Slash'es G'NR's money is long gone on the life style and trappings of that life. While he still has some name recognition left he's exploiting it the best he can. I can't say I blame him but it is going to sad in another ten years when he and Ronnie James Dio have their own infomercial selling the top spandex and hair spray bands of the 80's and 90's greatest hits on late night television after the CSI reruns..

...and Al's your uncle.

It's called the publicity/public relations/hype machine. Slash is a once-high profile guitarist now in the twilight of his career. He's had little if any chart action of late but still has a following' date='most of whom have carried him from their adolescence. Since he isn't a tier one star these companies are going to get him cheap..Like Lindsay Wagner for Sleep Number beds or Wilfred Brimley for some breakfast cereal or diabetic supplies or the countless once-big name peddlers of life insurance. These people are never going to get work at the level where they were once "A" listers so they take gigs that at least help pay the rent. It's kind of sad but true. I'd venture that most of Slash'es G'NR's money is long gone on the life style and trappings of that life. While he still has some name recognition left he's exploiting it the best he can. I can't say I blame him but it is going to sad in another ten years when he and Ronnie James Dio have their own infomercial selling the top spandex and hair spray bands of the 80's and 90's greatest hits on late night television after the CSI reruns..

...and Al's your uncle.

[/quote']

You are absolutely correct and it's always sad to see icons, whether deserved or not, in their declining state, in what ever industry. I just can't help feeling some sympathy for the folks that actually buy the hype and don't realize that they're being manipulated to part with their cash, especially in this this case where their money could go further otherwise, i.e. more guitar without the sig. Oh well, live and learn i guess. I don't blame Slash at all, I believe most of us would make the same decision.

Okay' date=' don't get too ruffled by this question. I cannot pick up a guitar magazine from the USA or the UK without seeing "Slash" on the cover. And I have received email after email from Gibson, Epiphone, and the big music stores with nothing but Slash, Slash, Slash.

What happened in the past 3 months to put Slash on the tippy top of everything guitar-related? I haven't seen this much hype since the Beatles invaded the USA back in the early 60's.[/quote']

GOD, only knows?!! Usually, when "Hollywood" (for example) hypes something THAT hard,

you can be sure, it's a "Turd" of a movie! But, maybe Gibson put a lot of money

into this signature guitar, and wants to make sure they get it all back and a LOT

more?! Even their "Robot" guitar didn't get THIS much "hype!" Who knows, OR

cares? LOL! And, if your question is any indication, it's having the opposite effect!

Sure is, on a lot of us, I think? But...I never got the "Slash" thing, anyway! So....???

CB

I'd venture that most of Slash'es G'NR's money is long gone on the life style and trappings of that life. While he still has some name recognition left he's exploiting it the best he can. I can't say I blame him but it is going to sad in another ten years when he and Ronnie James Dio have their own infomercial selling the top spandex and hair spray bands of the 80's and 90's greatest hits on late night television after the CSI reruns...

Ouch! The truth DOES hurt!

The most recent Epi review I have read of the Slash model made no sense to me. They liked the fat neck' date=' but listed it among the cons. Then they said that the string tension was too high. I'm not a physicist, but that makes little sense. Either use lighter strings or.......use lighter strings. An "E" is an "E" on a 24.75" scale guitar. This comment has always perplexed me when I have read ratings of Yamaha guitars. The action seems too "stiff". Lower it, or use thinner strings. Is there another "fix" for that? I would welcome it, as I have weak fingers.[/quote']

Yeah, I read that in Guitar World. It confused me. I guess I'm not the only person to notice that.

Archived