Gibson Brands Forums

You gotta be kiddin' me

tulsaslim

I will only say that your definition of an ICON is subjective. I certainly do not consider her to be one but my opinion is subjective, too.

At the same time, I don't recall her playing at an arena near me, either.

EDIT: Ticketmaster lists 6 gigs she has booked between now & mid-August opening for those other icons Def Lepard & Huey Lewis & the News.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You know' date=' if Fender feels that Avril Lavigne deserves a Squier signature Telecaster... I'm not too upset that JJ gets a signature Gibson.[/quote']

Even worse what about the Blink182 signature fenders?

You dont have to be a good player to get a signature model, it needs to be able to sell is all, and im sure there is a plentiful supply of JJ fans to buy up those guitars!

And for the record, the Goddess SG 's are amazing, I'd love to own one! Would you rather play with a guy or a girl? Im fine with my guitar being a chick :D/

If you were allowed to ask any world class rock band if they would let Joan Jett sit in on a session the answer would be an immediate and unqualified yes.

That is complete rubbish. How is it that you know what every world class rock band would or would not do.

You have no idea. It's your belief, not a fact by any means. And yet you state it as though somehow it is proof to your argument.

I don't believe it at all.

And as far as playing with all her heart and soul. What powers do you have that are able to detect such playing?

How is is possible that you know this? Again, your belief. Not mine, or countless others.

BTW, I have nothing against her. I have 2 Runaway albums actually from my teen years.

But Icon?????? Top 100 guitarist??????

Give me a freakin' break!!!!!

Lutheran' date=' I've gotta say that JJ French elitist is one great guitar, though. Really.

[/quote']

Just saying that for me, Twisted Sister was an odd selection for a Les Paul endorsement - particularly in a line being reduced in models available.

Wholeheartedly agree, Lutheran. But my brother bought one (turned on to it here on the forum) for $600 new and I'm extremely jealous. He named it 'Pinky' & it is a fantastic ax (with BB pups).

I did go to MF & look at the JJ guitar & it is pretty cool. I like the TOM bridge instead of the wraparound. What is the switch for, coil tap? Anyone know? MF doesn't say.

I can't say I'm wild about 1-pickup guitars but that Leslie West Dean is pretty cool, too.

I think some of you really need to take a look at her career...or maybe separate your dislike of that style of music from the

person...if you don't think joan jett is an "icon", I don't think you really understand rock and roll...it ain't all clapton, folks...

a hard working, touring, rocking, independent musician, producer, and business woman...no one hit wonder...and still in the trenches

if a guitarist's impact was merely measured in technical skill, we'd all be discussing the great classical players...

You know' date=' if Fender feels that Avril Lavigne deserves a Squier signature Telecaster... I'm not too upset that JJ gets a signature Gibson.[/quote']

Yup. Also...would this have been as big of a deal if it WAS an Epiphone?

(BTW: I'm not going to lie about this...I also like the Squier guitars. Specifically the Deluxe series.)

PS: There's a reason I like it when artists get signature models. It's not necessarily that I am going to run out and buy one, but any time there is a artist endorsement, the chances are pretty good that more units are going to move.

And, as a result, said company has more revenue to R&D new products and release them. This was certainly the case with Epiphone, and specifically the Ultra II model.

It's the whole "point A to point B thing".

Now, I will admit that sometimes I sort of scratch my head over which artists companies like Gibson choose to endorse. (I went to this store a while back and noticed...Ace Frehley guitar strings. In a .009 gauge. Heh...hehehe...)

Irregardless.....I think it's great whenever an artist lends their name to a model, and offers a variation. There are instances where the mod is so cool it ends up becoming standard on future products.

I've got no qualms about a Joan Jett MM at all....EXCEPT that I think Epiphone should also do something with her.

I think some of you really need to take a look at her career...or maybe separate your dislike of that style of music from the

person...if you don't think joan jett is an "icon"' date=' I don't think you really understand rock and roll...it ain't all clapton, folks...

a hard working, touring, rocking, independent musician, producer, and business woman...no one hit wonder...and still in the trenches

if a guitarist's impact was merely measured in technical skill, we'd all be discussing the great classical players...[/quote']

Yes, but we must make a distinction between 'guitarist' and 'entertainer'. She is an entertainer who plays guitar. Like Elvis was.

The fact is, as Andre Aggassi would say, 'Image is Everything'. From a pure talent perspective she's a vocalist with limited range and a guitarist with limited skills. But she did have a nice *** and cultivated her image as a 'punk girl' (with a lot of help from her record company spin machine, no doubt).

I gotta chime in to respond to Voodoo's assessment of Tulsa guitar players, though (it's a slow day here in the office) and defend my present hometown. (I'm originally a Chicago boy who moved here 40 years ago).

Pound-for-pound I believe Tulsa to be one of the most prolific breeding grounds for guitarists anywhere. Most of them, however, don't achieve fame or fortune until they leave town since Tulsa has always been a 'buyer's market'. Going all the way back to the Bob Wills days T-town has sired a lot of big-name guitar players. Most of them, however, end up in the country market.

I've never considered myself to be any more than a garden-variety bar-band lead player but I did make a living out of playing guitar for 17 years. That said, I went into GC just before Christmas last year & there were about 20 players fooling around in there and EVERY ONE of them was better than me. I'm reasonably sure I couldn't make the top 300 guitar players in Tulsa, either.

There is one guy in particular that is a very sad story. There's a guy here named Steve Pryor who had a real good shot at the big-time several years ago but because of horrible management and long-term substance abuse (I'm not telling any secrets here) is still playing small-time dumps around town. This guy is without doubt one of the 10 best guitar virtuosos I've ever seen or heard and every time I hear him I walk away extremely sad. He recorded two 'major label' albums back in the '80's that were horrible (management tried to completely change his style to commercial & totally screwed him up) and his own lifestyle has kept him back ever since. What a shame.

How many of you guys are considering buying the Joan Jett MM? Just curious.

In all honesty, after reading about it, I am.

I've been looking into a Melody Maker for a few weeks, and I've always liked the pre-SG double cutaway (it separates the MM from the Les Paul and SG). The only thing I'm not sure of if the Dirty Fingers.

And the price tag, of course, but it's still only (roughly) $600.

Jeez Louise.. If the Gibster wants to put her name on a guitar, then why not?

If you don't like it, don't play the f**cker!

I'm not a big Joan Jett fan, but I remember more of her catchy guitar riffs than I do any shredder solo.

Now' excuse me while I hunt down an epi supernova..

are you guys serious??? joan jett is one of the only female artist that was able to always hold her own and never back down or mold to the way things changed. it takes a female frontman (front woman) 8 times the amount of work to get any respect at all from crtics or cynics.

joan jett is frigging amazing. everyone loves her music.

who gives a crap if what she releases isnt technical? its good.. the lines are good, the rythms are good,. the sound is good.

people are making a fit about a GREAT, talented artist getting a signature line of one of the CHEAPEST most worthless guitars an american company ever made.... i would buy that pile of crap JUST because jaon jett had one.

she is awesome

and rediculously hot. (even with the smaller chest, she is still a 10 in my book.

music isnt about who can be the vertuoso-- look at dream theatre-- they sound like GARBAGE. RUSH sounds like crap as well..but they are all renouned musicians.. but their music is terrible.

joan jett had and still has the same impact now as she did then, and that is my definition of an icon..

joan jett is to bar rock and gritty rock and much as tom petty is to classy always the right time music. a true icon with a niche thats long lasting and extremely valuable....

the melody maker sucks. hands down.. but i would buy one because of joan jetts impact on me 15 years ago and 15 minutes ago.. you see joan jett and you still rememver the first time you heard her. thats an icon... hell, billie joe of green day is have the rocker that jett is and he got the les paul special... bb marley should have gotten the special for gods sake.

But she did have a nice *** and cultivated her image as a 'punk girl' (with a lot of help from her record company spin machine' date=' no doubt).[/quote']

No. You're letting your prejudice get in the way of the facts.

"Jett's self-titled solo debut was released in Europe. In the United States, the album was rejected by 28 major labels. Jett and Laguna released it independently on their own Blackheart Records label, started with Laguna's daughter's college savings. Laguna remembers, "We couldn't think of anything else to do, but print up records ourselves, and that's how Blackheart Records started. It was more or less Joan's idea to do it ourselves." Jett inadvertently became the first female performer to start her own record label."

Pretty determined lady if you ask me. She may not have been a Stevie Ray Vaughan, but she had the balls to go out there and succeed. Iconic? Definitely.

Joan Jett is a 4. She is an ICON.

An icon of what? Female rock guitarists? Not exactly a gigantic pool to choose from' date=' is there?

If you were allowed to ask any world class rock band if they would let Joan Jett sit in on a session the answer would be an immediate and unqualified yes.

I guess that depends on your definition of "world class" and "rock band." Toto have just split up, you know.

Sorta like a velvet Elvis.

Sorta like a... Velvis!

its the sound that that a guitar makes that make the guitar what it is NOT WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE.

I would venture it's the guitarist not the guitar. Get a hack to play a top of the line LP and then get (insert axe god's name here) to play my $60 plywood LP Jr. I know what I'd rather listen to.

rush does sound like crap... in my opinion.. singer is god aweful. whiney tinny treble all day long.

rush is just burn out rock and roll in my opinion. over done over processed and over produced.how many tracks are dubbed into each song? 64 guitar tracks? 34 drum tracks? come on! individually, they are awesome, but as a whole- i think its garbage. i couldnt play anything as well as they can tecknically, but as a band, i cant stand it.i cant even start to appreciate them because of the god aweful middle school quality cliche lyrics---(into the limelight is a good song though)..

you have to really be a rush fan to like them. they are truly a love it, hate it group.

my friend matt wore his "roll the bones"shirt almost daily when we were growing up.... i thought to myself, man that shirt is the coolest thing i have ever seen, these guys ought to totally rock!,,, yeah... bland music that drags on and on and on.... dream theature still sucks too.

remember folks, i didnt insult you or your beliefs, only stated my feelings on how rush is aweful..

in my eyes, joan jett is stupid hot--- hey, i grew up a rocker, so rocker chicks always have a huge think to me.. she always looks bad ***, and she doesnt need pink hair or sleve tattoos to do it-- she just emulates, hey dude, you know im hot and my band is better than your band, go get me a beer.

Oh...Joan's cool! I like the fact that she's been true to pretty much ONE guitar, her whole career.

I'm sure she's played a bunch, but you see her, most often anyway, with the double cut Melody Maker!

She's made her mark, regardless of percieved guitar skills, or not...and that's saying something, in an

industry, that is still "male" oriented, despite an ever increasing gamut of good/great female

players/singers/songwriters.

CB

I just noticed... on Music 123.com, they say

Body Wood: Mahogany

Top wood if applicable:

Scale Length: 24-3/4"

Neck Joint: Set-in

Neck Wood: Mahogany

Fretboard: Rosewood

Neck Shape: C-Shape

Frets: 22

Nut Width: 1.695"

Fretboard Radius: 12

Bridge: Fixed

Pickup Bridge: Dirty Fingers Humbucker

Controls: Volume / Tone

Tuners: Other

Hardware color: Chrome

Pickup selector: Other

Finish: Lacquer

Limited run of 400. Plus a Hardshell Gibson Case + Lacquer + DF Humbucker all for around $650. Not too bad. The normal MM goes for about $300-350 new.

PS> Not just Fender made Blink 182 Guitars. Does the Tom DeLong 333 ring a bell?

Archived