Gibson Brands Forums

John, Paul, George, Ringo, and Epiphone!!!!!!!!!!

charlie brown

After reading a few Beatles bios (well' date=' about 6-7 of them), the Beatles seemed so fragmented at the time of the Let It Be session, I'm almost afraid to watch it. Apparently nothing was worse than the White Album recording period (fortunately, those sessions are only in memories, not film). [/quote']

Love the White Album

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What?!!!

Are you sure it's a bona fide release? I'd love to get hold of a copy because my copy suffers from not being colour timed' date=' and (I'm sure in comparison to an official release) having inferior sound quality.

Anybody seen this anywhere like ebay or anything?

[/quote']I've seen it on a torrent site before, that's about it.

Heather? Maybe Paul wanted to get things sorted out first. Just guessing. Ex's and income are a bad combination.

I thought that George was against releasing it because of the bickering between him and Paul. He commented in several interviews that it was embarrassing for that to be seen, and how they were trying to have a fight off camera and off mic.

I have an 'extra' DVD with my copy of the film, and I must say that it is a revelation. Even after the wonderful spirits of the rooftop performance, the bits that are shown in this extra DVD show the Fabs laughing and joking, and Yoko painting, and even singing with them.

Now, anything can be done with editing, but these scenes do seem to substantiate Glyn Johns's claims that the sessions weren't all glum and painful.

Be warned, though, if you get this extra disc, the video quality is HORRENDOUS, sometimes a total loss of sound, a bit of it black and white, mostly totally distorted footage. It looks like this was video footage that was copied, and copied, and copied for many generations. Also, the performances aren't very good (as with a lot of the bona fide film), but are fascinating (e.g. watching/listening to George develop his first 'Let It Be' solo).

As an artifact that shows the Fabs having fun, within an otherwise very depressing context, this footage is wonderful.

I can't believe they've vetoed the release yet again.

I'm off to stick my head in a bucket of cold water.

January (31st) 1969' date=' on a London Rooftop. It's amazing to me, they played that well.

They must have been freezing there Arses off?!

LOL! [/quote']

Incredible playing, and you can tell that John was cold, as he blows on his fingers to warm them at one point.

I remember those cold, Januaries in the U.K. before central heating became the norm. I remember mold on the walls and ceilings, and I'm only going back to the late 70s for these memories. The most bone penetrating cold that you can imagine. No wonder the Romans left.

O.K., now I'm really confused.

I found this http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005JKGT/abbeyrdsbeatlesp?creative=125577&camp=2321&link_code=as1 via an old post. The comments (reviews) are from the early 2000's but the DVD seems to be more recent, because it mentions bluray, and implies that the DVD isn't out yet.

However, when I went to amazon in the usual way, through my browser, and did a search on 'Let It Be DVD', I got the following

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=%27Let+It+Be%27+DVD

which all look like boots to me.

I know I should have learned by now, but this is getting me all excited and confused.

Apparently all the DVD's out now' date=' are bootlegs, or copies of the Laser Disc released, back then?

"Apple" which is supposedly going to be the official company to release the authorized version,

says "Not yet!" But, that they WILL, eventually. So...???

CB[/quote']

Yes, I was under no allusions that mine was real. The colour timing is appalling, for one thing.

It's really easy to copy video footage to DVD, and there are many Beatle products, which aren't really Beatle products, out there.

Unfortunately, I also found this, recent article

http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com/entertainment_popmachine/2008/07/guns-n-roses-ch.html

Even if what they say in this article is correct, I agree with the columnist - The Fabs can survive the resurrection of old, distateful issues.

Back to the bucket of water.

In interviews George said many times he felt the best bits that occurred were left out of the film. I know it would be hard to watch a film with scenes of me bickering with family members. Especially something we we put behind us years ago and if 2 of those family members had passed away.

GetBack.jpg

In interviews George said many times he felt the best bits that occurred were left out of the film. I know it would be hard to watch a film with scenes of me bickering with family members. Especially something we we put behind us years ago and if 2 of those family members had passed away.

GetBack.jpg

It would be nice, IF/When they do decide to do this...that they include all the really "Great" stuff, that

was left out of the original cut, to do a more positive...or at least more balanced view/perspective.

One can only hope!

CB

I remember seeing a bootleg once of the before/after when George played I Me Mine for them. None of them seemed too interested to start, and afterward John made a comment about how they can't do a waltz and it looked like George was about to cry.

Not to change direction but went to vegas last year to see Beatles Love show and one of the best parts for me besides the incredible sound system was at the beginning. They went into Get Back and on 4 screens those 4 famous sillouettes from the apple rooftop are jaming again. Cue goosebumps

100_1611.jpg

January (31st) 1969' date=' on a London Rooftop. It's amazing to me, they played that well.

They must have been freezing there Arses off?!

LOL! [/quote']

January 30, 1969 was when the roof top concert took place...not January 31, 1969.

I am a huge fan of the Beatles but I find that film completely depressing. The overall mood is gloomy, the playing is uninspired, achieving embarrassingly awful at times and the image quality of the remaining prints is horrible. There are moments I've seen in out takes where some of the old magic appears but for the most part you're watching the agonizing death of a major cultural force. 1969 was a bad year all around for music and this was the first of some rather profound moments in a year that culminated with the Stones at Altamont. If I were Paul or Ringo the last thing I would want would be for that to be re-released and to go out like that...even at the time the Beatles recognized how awful the entire Get Back/Let It Be thing was and agreed to re-group and dig down deep so as to leave on "Abbey Road" rather than be remembered by that cinematic and musical debacle. While you can say how great it would be to have input and voice-overs from Paul and Ringo at the same time it would only be equitable that Yoko and Olivia...or actually Patti Boyd also have input on behalf of John and George...does it still seem like such a good idea?..I saw Let It Be the day it opened in the U.S (May of '70). and for two weeks previous I was excited beyond words. I was just about sixteen at the time and it hadn't really been announced that the Beatles were over but when I left that theater I felt an incredible sadness and knew that it was the end. No thanx, I'd rather forget the entire mess and I'm certain Paul and Ringo probably feel the same.

Yeah, the 30th is correct, Al...My Bad! I had forgotten the exact date, and guessed!

Should have looked it up. A "Thursday" they said. So glad you're around to keep us in line!

LOL! You must have a photographic memory or an amazing data base, at your fingertips.

CB

Well the bands history is the bands history. Warts and all. We've all gone through those periods when we felt and played like crap. I for one wish I was that awful and could still come up with Don't Let Me Down / Let It Be / I've Got A Feeling / Across The Universe etc. etc. (y'know misery loves company)

Well, at any rate...I think it should be released! No one claims it's their "best," but it's what it is...

and most "Beatle" fans love it, for that. Painful, maybe...interesting, yes...depressing, that too,

but so is most history! I like the "rawness," in fact. It's Real! They're still the best damn band

there's ever been...IMHO, and "Let It Be" will never alter that feeling.

CB

I saw it years ago, and agree it is pretty depressing John and Yoko are strung out most of the time. I think they should clean it up, find one of the original prints like they did with Help, and add some bounus stuff.

The best parts are after Preston shows up the whole mood changes that and the move to Apple and the rooftop concert, but yeah it is a documentary of the Beatles breaking up.

There's just so little in movie form, of the Beatles...especially "live!"

It would be nice, if Apple would do a DVD on ALL the "Live" stuff,

they did, including Shea Stadium, and others. Concerts in England,

and Europe, that we don't (easily) find or get to see. Even a mulit-

DVD set, if need be. It's always been amazing to me, that The Beatles,

had (by todays standards) so little coverage, that way. Tons of

"Still" images, for sure...but "film" especially of the "live" stuff, is

pretty sparce, considering who they were, and their amazing impact

on the world!

CB

Archived