Gibson Brands Forums

John, Paul, George, Ringo, and Epiphone!!!!!!!!!!

charlie brown

Hi Charlie' date='

I'm not talking about the videos. You said that you had read recently about this, and I was hoping that you'd say where.

Thanks,

GVDV[/quote']

I know...I've actually been trying to find that site, again...;>b

I'll post it, when I do...but, I think it's been mentioned, already,

that it came from the 1980 Playboy interview, originally. Which,

as I remember, was the December issue...??? Black cover with

Barbara Bach (Mrs. Ringo Starr) on the cover...I THINK?! Been

awhile, you know?

CB

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A J160E has a very woody sound like a fat old hollowbody plugged in. Like the sound on "I Feel Fine" not the tone of DT. You can find the bootlegs of the backing tracks and remember that they are tracked live so all 4 were playing at the same time on that BT you have John Ric' date=' Paul bass, Ringo drums and George what sounds like his Tennessean.

They then overdubbed a srong semi distorted 2nd riff solo guitar. I still say ES345. As you can't get an AC100 to distort at studio volumes I'm betting Norman Smith let the board on the U47-48 mic pad go into slight clipping and going to tape not digital you get that nice compressed distorted sound you can't get today on digital it would just be spitty. Geoff was not the only one to get killer sounds but he never wrote a book.

The J160E is confusing you have several out. The new stock line Gibson is an X braced solid top guitar and is really a souped up J45 with a P100 PU. Sounds nice acoustic but will not sound like the Beatles. The Lennon Peace out now has a plywood top, ladder bracking and a P90. This is what they had in the Beatles and does sound like a J160E. The final one is the same as the Lennon sig but in the heritage series. Mine is burst and Gibson told me mine was left from the burst Lennon run but no sig but all the same stuff.

Wanting that tone because of the Beatles I bought that one. It sounds like a loud unplugged electric and plugged it is not great but that is the only guitar that can nail that tone. Like I said if those songs were not famous and that tone such a part of them the J160E would be in the joke columns like Ford and the Edsel. It designed as a do everthing model and in reality it did it worse than either thing it was trying to be. The Beatles saved it from being a joke and even Harrison would not touch his after Pepper. He still had his but I really doubt he played it after 1967. I have not heard every Harrison solo track but that guitar would jump right out and I have never heard it on anything he did later on.[/quote']

Hi byrds1965,

re. your "Geoff [Emerick] was not the only one to get killer sounds but he never wrote a book", as others, and I, have said here, Geoff Emerick *has* written a book, called 'Here, There, and Everywhere', and so has Norman '2Db's'/'Normal' Smith as well.

GVDV

That quote comes from the Playboy interviews. I have the paperback book that has the complete interviews done for that 1980 issue and is in the section where they go through the songs one by one asking who wrote did what. Lennon is quoted as saying on DT "That was mine the riff solo whole thing......."

Lennon is also quoted in the same place on "And Your Bird Can Sing" ........."Not mine' date=' piece of rubbish"

John knew he wrote the song but obviously did not like it so I would not put too much faith in some of the answers he gave in 1980 now if it had been 1998 when you were really looking back on your career. 1980 was still too soon to have that kind of reflection on the past.[/quote']

Hi byrds1965,

I remembered that quote of JL from 'The Playboy Interviews', but I don't think that that means that he played it on record. There were a few riffs, guitar parts that McCartney and Lennon came up with that Harrison played.

I also remember that in the Playboy Interview (as opposed to the 'Lennon Remembers' Jann Wenner, Rolling Stone interview) J.L. talks with wonder about 'Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite', whereas in 'Lennon Remembers' he disparaged it.

GVDV.

Hi byrds1965' date='

re. your "Geoff [Emerick'] was not the only one to get killer sounds but he never wrote a book", as others, and I, have said here, Geoff Emerick *has* written a book, called 'Here, There, and Everywhere', and so has Norman '2Db's'/'Normal' Smith as well.

GVDV

Will have to look online again now that I know the title. Thanks for the info.

Hi byrds1965' date='

I remembered that quote of JL from 'The Playboy Interviews', but I don't think that that means that he played it on record. There were a few riffs, guitar parts that McCartney and Lennon came up with that Harrison played.

GVDV.[/quote']

That was my point. I think Harrison played the solo in DT on his ES345. It is played too well to be Lennon and more complex than Lennon could pull off in 1969 on "Get Back" 4 years later.

Hi Charlie' date='

I'm not talking about the videos. You said that you had read recently about this, and I was hoping that you'd say where.

Oops, just saw your other post.

Thanks,

GVDV[/quote']

If you have Anthology they play it live on NME with Lennon on J160E and Harrison on his Tennessean. Later in Anthology you will see the videos they shot miming with Lennon and his Ric and Harrison and his ES345. Either way Lennon plays the riff to I Feel Fine out of the chord shapes themselves. I have not played it years but tried it when I got my J160E and that is the sound but remember why I don't play that one it's a *****.

John' date=' Paul and George all had Epiphone guitars but how did Ringo's name get associated with the title of this thread?[/quote']

Seems the only guitar associated with Ringo was a six string acoustic Harptone.

It belonged to Nashville Guitarist Pete Drake who played on Ringo's Beaucoups of Blues album.

Ringo is seen pictured with it on the inner sleeve of the album:

http://www.jpgr.co.uk/pas10002_c.jpg

George Harrison owned a 12 string Harptone and he somehow ended up with Drake's Harptone too.

Ringo used it again for the photoshoot of the single sleeve for It Don't Come Easy:

http://www.rarebeatles.com/sleeves/solops/spseasy.jpg

I'd like to see how much of a guitar player Ringo is. I know he does, to an extent.

I saw an interview with him where he told about how he wrote "Photograph" with the three or four chords he knew, and then George took it and turned it into twenty chords.

Hi byrds1965' date='

re. your "Geoff [Emerick'] was not the only one to get killer sounds but he never wrote a book", as others, and I, have said here, Geoff Emerick *has* written a book, called 'Here, There, and Everywhere', and so has Norman '2Db's'/'Normal' Smith as well.

GVDV

Found it title "John Lennon Called Me Normal" have to get it.

Considering it was John' date=' I wonder if that was a compliment, or an

insult?

;>)

CB[/quote']

I think it was just John's play on words they all called him Normal in the Lewison book. I would have to read it again to see but when he stepped down and Geoff took over the Beatles gave him a watch and I think it was engraved To Normal. He was also known as 2db becuase he was always asking Lennon and Harrison to turn down a coulpe of dbs.

A quick question for the Beatles enthusiasts...

What is that sneaky little jazz chord that appears throughout "You can't do that"? Most Beatles tab that you find online is completely wrong in my opinion, and this song is no exception...

The riff is easy to figure out, and the G7 pattern that opens the song is fine too. The kicker is that chord under the lyric which starts..."because I told you before" (looks like a Cm7 at the 3rd fret, but it it's not!).

I found a live performance on youtube from the Australian tour (great perfomance of this song by the way).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3O79UtLotc

If you watch Lennon's hand, the chord shape starts at the 3rd fret at 0.24 ("because I told you before") the fingering stays the same as he slides down to the 1st fret ("oh...you can't do..") before he returns to the G7 at the 3rd fret ("that").

What is going on here? Any thoughts much appreciated.

A quick question for the Beatles enthusiasts...

What is that sneaky little jazz chord that appears throughout "You can't do that"? Most Beatles tab that you find online is completely wrong in my opinion' date=' and this song is no exception...

The riff is easy to figure out, and the G7 pattern that opens the song is fine too. The kicker is that chord under the lyric which starts..."because I told you before" (looks like a Cm7 at the 3rd fret, but it it's not!).

I found a live performance on youtube from the Australian tour (great perfomance of this song by the way).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3O79UtLotc

If you watch Lennon's hand, the chord shape starts at the 3rd fret at 0.24 ("because I told you before") the fingering stays the same as he slides down to the 1st fret ("oh...you can't do..") before he returns to the G7 at the 3rd fret ("that").

What is going on here? Any thoughts much appreciated.[/quote']

Looks to me like he's playing D7 at the 5th fret and sliding down to the 3rd fret to play C7.

According to "The Beatles Complete Chord Songbook," (Hal Leonard © 1999)

all the chords, for "You Can't Do That" are Seventh's, except the minors (Am, Bm, Em),

and a standard "D!" The one exception, in the area discussed, is a D7#9 (4th Fret).

Hope that helps, some?

CB

It's a D7#9 on the fourth fret and it ain't a complicated "jazzchord" by any means....the Beatles used some pretty simple chords most of the time...especially early on !

Thank you for your help...but a D7#9 at the 4th fret is a fair way away from a 'simple' open chord..I guess complexity is in the eye of the beholder. Still, your input was much appreciated. Thanks.

Thank you for your help...but a D7#9 at the 4th fret is a fair way away from a 'simple' open chord..I guess complexity is in the eye of the beholder. Still' date=' your input was much appreciated. Thanks.[/quote']

If your playing it on the 4th fret that is either a C7#9 or a D7b9 but can't be the other. D7#9 would be 6th fret.

But the fingering is no different to the C7 he plays. He simply moves from one fret to another with the same fingering.

It's possible Harrison is playing something other than a D7.

Billybob may have a point here.

This situation may be like that of the 'A Hard Day's Night' opening chord which all the books, and even Gary Moore (when talking to George Harrison) got wrong. George always described it as an F with a G on top, or something, meaning that he played a (barred, I think) F chord at the first fret on his 12 string Rickenbacker, and put his little finger on the G note (1st. string 3rd. fret).

I think that people kept on getting this chord wrong because there were several instruments playing at the same time there, so giving a different impression. That other chord (C Major 7? Know the fingering, don't know the name) sounds more 'right' than the 'F with a G on top' if you're playing by yourself, but it is, nevertheless, the wrong chord.

One of the many things that I find fascinating about the Fabs is that while they may have used many conventional chords, the way they used them, and the melodies and harmonies they created, were totally original. Also, from very early on they strayed from the 3 chord rock song formula - 'If I Fell' has (if memory serves) 12 chords - a mite unusual for 1964.

As somebody else said many, many years ago, The Beatles were technically conservative, and artistically revolutionary.

GVDV

This situation may be like that of the 'A Hard Day's Night' opening chord which all the books' date=' and even Gary Moore (when talking to George Harrison) got wrong. George always described it as an F with a G on top, or something, meaning that he played a (barred, I think) F chord at the first fret on his 12 string Rickenbacker, and put his little finger on the G note (1st. string 3rd. fret).

I think that people kept on getting this chord wrong because there were several instruments playing at the same time there, so giving a different impression. That other chord (C Major 7? Know the fingering, don't know the name) sounds more 'right' than the 'F with a G on top' if you're playing by yourself, but it is, nevertheless, the wrong chord.[/quote']

I've always played (I think it's a) Gsus4. Basically an open G plus a C on the second string, first fret. It sounds great on its own on a 12 string Ric!

Archived