Gibson Brands Forums

Another one

Recycled Rocker

YYYAAAHHHHOOOOO,

Finally my LP Studio arrived today, (like just now !!) #-o it's an '02 model but not a mark on it at all still have to finish giving it some TLC. I took the pic cover off and I like it better with it off, so off it shal stay. Still awaiting for my '99 Epi Flying V to arrive hopefully today or tomorrow.[-(O:)

OK here's pics of the Studio and the rest of my clan.

LPStudio1.jpg

With pic guard removed.

Myguitars4.jpg

and the rest of the clan, L to R, Strat Mexican, SG G400, LP Black Beauty 3, Epi Wilshire, lying down cheapy strat copy.

Cheers blokes and blokets................

RR

Very nice. Are you buying these on Ebay?

PS: I bet if you sold that telescope you could get another Epi lol.

Hey ef_in_fla, so far only one off e-bay and that was the Black Beauty, the others have been through people I know or through shops.

Sell the scope, YEP It's been seeting there for ages not being used, I have suggested that several times although the wife wants a necklace, "not another guitar" so I may have to keep her happy when the scope goes. :D

Cheers

RR

wait' date=' a studio with trapezoid inlays? :D

ah well, definitely not a bad thing! congrats.[/quote']

Hi FrankS, by your reply your suspicious that the Studio's never came with the trapezoid inlays, as a novice in this area could it be possible that they where done in China. Guitar dater suggests it was made at the Muse Plant, China, in '02.

Not wanting to use the "F" word.

Just curious now.

It plays well and has great sound.

Cheers

RR

YYYAAAHHHHOOOOO' date='

Finally my LP Studio arrived today, (like just now !!) :D it's an '02 model but not a mark on it at all still have to finish giving it some TLC. I took the pic cover off and I like it better with it off, so off it shal stay. Still awaiting for my '99 Epi Flying V to arrive hopefully today or tomorrow.=P~8-[

OK here's pics of the Studio and the rest of my clan.

[img']http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff188/Kenny_H58/Music/LPStudio1.jpg[/img]

With pic guard removed.

Myguitars4.jpg

and the rest of the clan, L to R, Strat Mexican, SG G400, LP Black Beauty 3, Epi Wilshire, lying down cheapy strat copy.

Cheers blokes and blokets................

RR

I like that guitar. I like the color of it, and the basic nickel hardware setup.

So, are you planning on dumping anything into it?

I like that guitar. I like the color of it' date=' and the basic nickel hardware setup.

So, are you planning on dumping anything into it?

[/quote']

Hey Sentry, yeh I'm contemplating a set of P90' but I'm not %100 sure yet. I'll give it a few weeks playing it along side my others and see from there.

Cheers mate

RR

Hey Sentry' date=' yeh I'm contemplating a set of P90' but I'm not %100 sure yet. I'll give it a few weeks playing it along side my others and see from there.

Cheers mate

RR[/quote']

Rocker....You've already got a ton of other guitars....why not try something unusual?

Like 1 meg pots against those Epiphone pickups?

I'm open to suggestions' date=' so what will the 1meg pots do?

Cheers

RR[/quote']

Sourced this from Harmony....http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=1626382

Duncan_Pot_Values.gif

Different pot values and how they affect you!

Humbucker graph shown.

Humbuckers traditionally come with 500k volume and tone pots, wth .022 caps. Single coils traditionally use 250k pots. Remember, pickups were voiced/made to run at these values, changing the value changes their intended tone (good or bad is an opinion), as well as their output.

The top curve indicates virtually no load, the second curve down indicates a 1 meg pot, the third down is a 500k pot, the fourth is a 250k pot and the bottom curve represents a 100k pot. As you can see, higher value pots give you more output and raise the resonant peaks output. The resonant peak doesn't shift in frequency, but it does shift in amplitude. The resonant peak frequency of most HBs is around 5k to 7k. Depending how it's wired, turning a volume pot down is NOT the same as using a smaller value.

With tone controls (they react differently in the circuit), a 250k pot is the same as turning your 500k tone pot down to it's resistive mid point (5 on a linear taper pot). Even on 10, a tone pot bleeds high end to ground, but pickups were designed with this circuit in mind and some people think they sound cold and glassy without a tone pot in the curcuit. A lot of people in the 80's used guitars without a tone pot, but they also used some rack gear like a Yamaha SPX-90 that killed off anything over 8k, (the SPX-90II went to 12k) so it helped a bit to make up for the loss.

Also from Torres (and a 1 meg pot costs around 5 dollars USD...)

Lots of people, even techs do not understand how a higher value pot (potentiometer) will raise the gain of a guitar. This comes from not knowing how the pot works.

Your pickup is connected to one side of the pot. The other side of the pot is connected to ground. Between these two outside tabs, there is an "element." This is just a resistor and the pot's value. If you have a 250k pot, the "element" resistor is 250k. The middle tab of the pot is connected to the shaft of the pot. When you turn it, the wiper goes around the element varying the resistance.

The important part of this info is that one side of the pot is connected to ground. Even with the volume on 10, the pickup is connected to ground via a resistor/value of the pot. Some of the pickup's signal is "short circuited" to ground and lost.

So - raise the value of the pot, from say, 250k (which is 250,000 ohms) to 1 meg (which is 1,000,000 ohms) and the resistance to ground is higher - LESS of the signal is shorted to ground, MORE of the signal fights it's way down the guitar cord to the amp - the pickups become hotter, and frequency response is raised because there is much less load on the pickups. Higher pot value means less load, Less load means more gain. Easy once you understand it.

Biggest downside? It's like flipping a light switch off and on....But, humbuckers are not known for that, and aren't as responsive as single coils utilizing the 250K pot.

If anything...it's about a 10 dollar experiment. :D (I'm getting ready to try it out on LP standard....just gotta get motivated to get the parts ordered...)

Hey ef_in_fla' date=' so far only one off e-bay and that was the Black Beauty, the others have been through people I know or through shops.

Sell the scope, YEP It's been seeting there for ages not being used, I have suggested that several times although the wife wants a necklace, "not another guitar" so I may have to keep her happy when the scope goes. :D

Cheers

RR[/quote']

Does she have fewer necklaces than you have guitars?

I like the color of it' date=' and the basic nickel hardware setup. [/quote']

Hate to be a nit picker but that would be chrome, not nickel. The two finishes are not interchangeable and Epiphone only used nickel plated finishes on their Elitist guitars.

[

Different pot values and how they affect you!

Humbucker graph shown.

Interesting graph, but meaningless without the X axis and Y axis values.

I presume that the x axis is (x db gain ) and the Y is the frequency response 10hz to 20khz as most

graphs of that type would represent.

True. But it's more of an illustration how different potmetervalues relate to eachother.

I printed off the graph and substituted some signal amplitude values on the left side (Y axis).

If we are talking about the effects of a 1 meg tone pot vs a 500k or 250K.....

a) assuming 6 db signal amplitude (pickup is the signal source, so this may not be the right value) per graduation..

its roughly about 2 -3 db or so difference between the 1 meg and 500k tone pot.

:- if it's only 3db per graduation, then it's roughly about 1-2 db of signal amplitude difference at the same frequency band.

According to my recollection power doubles every 3 db and signal voltage every 6 db, but this is based on the dbm (db milliwatt) way of measuring, which the telecommunication companies use as there has to be a reference.

So from what I can figure out, as you decrease the resistive load (pot) from 500k to 1 meg, the resistive loading effect on the volume control is lessened, but the tone cap is still in the circuit and you will still get attenuation of the signal depending on where the volume and tone controls are set, but not as much as before.

comments?

wait' date=' a studio with trapezoid inlays? :-

ah well, definitely not a bad thing! congrats.[/quote']

my 00' Studio has trapezoid inlays also. This was one of the reasons I questioned its pedigree but I have been assured by others that it is indeed real.

It does look nice without the pick guard....might do that myself....

Archived