Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson/Epiphone vs Fender

leicester35

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I play mine sitting down. Don't see how I can get it any lower.

Unless the strap is shortened up, when you stand the bottom of the guitar body moves to mid thigh and the top to under the last rib, instead of waist level/mid rib cage (as it is when you sit).

Either way, the vol know is still less than an inch from the 1st string, so it gets in the way, especially if you are used to "posting" your hand on the bottom of the bridge p/u.

I thought I would add a nice strat to compliment my LP and G400.

But I quickly became annoyed when playing b/c my pinky tends to roll the volume knob.

Tried out a tele last week. Pinky on the selector switch.

So as much as I like the sound' date=' both are ergonomic no-go's for me.

AJ[/quote']

Here's two more ideas if the pinky removal isn't an option:

1) replace the volume with a push/pull know that locks in when pushed in.

2) replace the volume knob with one that "clicks" into ten different settings. It could be easy to adjust with deliberate turning using a finger and thumb, but would move if pumped by the pinky.

Now I don't know if either is available, but it seems like a good idea.

I've owned many different guitars of almost as many types and brands. My two all time favorites are my SG Standard and my '72 Tele Custom, which perhaps not coincidentally has a 12" radius fretboard, like a Gibson. I owned a LP that I got for a nice deal, because I'd never had one and figured every guitarist should. But I just never took to the weight and the neck shape.

And my Fender Custom Reverb is all the amp I need.

I started with a Strat and was always happy with it. I pondered the strat vs. LP debate and decided the only thing to do was get the (epi) LP. They sound and play completely different; I think the start is more comfortable to play with the beveling and the weight disribution.

I still can't figure which is my primary; it seems to change day to day. Most times I feel bad for the one I'm not playing.

Of course, now thinking about a g-400. Or a dot. That Jackson looked good a few posts ago. =D>

As Mark Twain once said - I must have a lot of mind - it takes forever for me to make it up

I love my LP guitars, and that includes my Gibsons and my Epi. I'm not a Strat fan but it's not like I hate Fenders. I love my Tele dearly, great tone and better looks.

If I had tons of dough I'd buy the GE Smith Tele, love that thing, sounds just great...

I love my LP guitars' date=' and that includes my Gibsons and my Epi. I'm not a Strat fan but it's not like I hate Fenders. I love my Tele dearly, great tone and better looks.

If I had tons of dough I'd buy the GE Smith Tele, love that thing, sounds just great... [/quote']A Tele is a must have in one's arsenal. I've got a pieced together mutt with The original first issue Fender Nocaster Clean pickup set and it is glorious.O:)

I've always had a Gibson Off brand guitar. Till my wife bought me a Gibson Robor guitar for Christmas.It's my first gibson in about 38 years. My first guitar was a Kalamazoo, It looks like a strat, and I guess Gibson made it sound like one to, These are just opinions other musicians have given me after playing it. My first Epiphone I guess was a DOT. My next was An epiphone Hummingbird 6 and 12 string. the next was an epiphone Zepher Blues Deluxe, and I picked up a PR-4E pack to mess with. Now My SG Robot Guitar in Cherry. I also just replaced my Humming bird 6 string after a drunk fell on it and broke it. After that I make sure my guitars go back in the case after playing and before partying.

• 1 month later...

I love a 12" radiused neck and fenders 7 1/2 and 9" radiused necks are like putting strings on a baseball bat... too much of a curve for me... O:) Plus I had problems with the high E-String sliding off of the frets if your hand wasn't perfectly positioned...

Nothing wrong with a fender if that's what you like but give me a Epi/Gibson anyday...!

I love all of em, Epiphone, Gibson, Fender, PRS and many more!! If you have to choose take all of them! I actually started on a Strat so I guess I am partial to them. My oldest guitar is a late 80's Strat plus that I've had since I was 15 or so. I guess she is my favorite, the black and white one. Here are some of my guitars:

gibsonprs.jpg?t=1234892090

fenders.jpg?t=1234892117

Picture102.jpg?t=1234892141

Guest icantbuyafender

i have to say, i do love the texas grit tone that SRV made as his own sound.

ive even thought about ways to drop some fender single coil pups into a slab bodied epi, like a special II or on a G310 (utilizing custom a custom PG) or even on my flying V that has the 68 large PG. (once again a custom PG could be made)

or just throw some singles in humbucker spots and go to town.... just to test the sound and see if it matches the strats neck pup tone.

Gibson/Epi all the way-with the exception of the Telecaster...and there I prefer G&L's ASAT to Fender's tele, owning both. But I like a Tele just fine. Have had a half dozen Strats-half of those US standards...they all were cannibalized at one time or another for a Gibson. Just never bonded with one. Teles though are another matter. My first good guitar was a Japanese Fender Tele back in '88...well no, really it was a Esquire reissue...I traded that it for the mustard yellow Japanese tele so I could get the neck pickup...that first tele is long gone...still regret letting the esquire go!

I love all of em' date=' Epiphone, Gibson, Fender, PRS and many more!! If you have to choose take all of them! I actually started on a Strat so I guess I am partial to them. My oldest guitar is a late 80's Strat plus that I've had since I was 15 or so. I guess she is my favorite, the black and white one. Here are some of my guitars:

[img']http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x263/svetkt88/Guitars/gibsonprs.jpg?t=1234892090[/img]

fenders.jpg?t=1234892117

Picture102.jpg?t=1234892141

Would you let me be your friend? Man, lovely collection...

I think to answer the question correctly - you'd have to consider when the particular guitars were made . I happen to own a brand new epiphone SG which I am very happy with . I know a guy who plays semi professionally with a very used and self rebuilt early 70's Tele . another guy who played semi pro and teaches with a late 70's Strat . Now if you were to consider which guitars you'd most rather own , manufacturing era of no specification ,I'm sure you'd have a heck of an argument mostly landing in the 1960's of either brand. Guitar brand arguments are like the various Harley motorcycle model arguments ... the Ford Vs Chevy vs Mopar...you get the picture. there is no right or wrong answer. A matter of personal taste ,feel, budget and what you like .

Archived