Gibson Brands Forums

Got my new Wilshire.....Initial observations

Hidalgo

FedEx just dropped my new RED Wilshire at the front door.....that's right.....it's RED. :-$

Initial observations are: The factory set-up is terrible. Action is WAY high. Finish is great and flawless. Strings will have to be immediately replaced (do they use real strings on these things?). Overall, it seems like it's well worth the funds. And the "Limited Edition Custom Shop" decal on the headstock is a nice touch. Neck is slick and the frets are better than I expected. The Grover heads are a nice touch, also.

Only bad thing is that they left off the retaining nut on the jack. #-o Does ANYONE look at these things before they are shipped? :-s

So far I'm pleased....after I get it set up I'll know more. Neck, on initial observation, seems straight, so we'll see. =D>

Hope they didn't drop it too hard.

Actually....I took it from his hands at the front door. But who KNOWS how it was handled before that. It was packed very well' date=' though.

I wish I could get a job as a final inspector.....doesn't seem as though they have to do much more than make sure there is a guitar in the box.

Jeesh....that's an understatement. All I think they do is drink coffee and shoot the crap. :-s

Here are a few photos.......

DSC_0085-2.jpg

DSC_0084.jpg

DSC_0083.jpg

And one of it's "Big Brother" that I've owned for several years now. Everything under the pickguard has been replaced with Gibson electronics. Like some others, I STUPIDLY sold the original EDS1275 GIBSON that I gigged with for many years. Live and learn, I suppose. =D>

DSC_0086.jpg

Looks good, congrats.

I've been told to expect two ten foot drops in shipping ups or fed ex.

I tend to believe that having sold guitars that wound up with broken headstocks in the case.

But I also think many guys watch those drops and soften them, 'cause that's pretty rare.

I noticed in GC the other day that even the les paul customs had high action.. that seems to be more common now than it had been.

TWANG

Is the neck bound?

Nope. But the neck/fingerboard transition is extremely smooth and well done. The more I look at this thing, the more I like the quality. Like I said.....I haven't finished getting it "playable" yet, but after a few initial adjustments it looks like the action is going to get to an acceptable point without too much neck adjustment.

One final question' date=' are the Wilshires made in China (EE on serial) or Indonesia (SI)?

[/quote']

Yep......bug sticker on the back....."MADE IN CHINA" ](*,)

I finally got time to look more closely at the neck, and did a little adjustment. It is now very "playable", although still not as low as I would like to see it. I think that after a little time, a string change to something more appropriate (it appears to have 10-48's on it), and some tinkering, this guitar will be very adequate. Still haven't hooked it to an amp so I can't comment on the electronics side.

Nice 'Shire, Hidalgo! In reference to the ridiculously high action, this unfortunately seems to be an Epiphone tradition, despite being "Set up in the USA by #25". My Dot came from the store with the same "slide guitar" high action but after a professional setup the tech was able to lower the string height significantly.

hey' date='hidalgo

where did you get a cherry one? all I am seeing are white....[/quote']

I have a friend who is a Gibson "Custom Shop" dealer. From what I "think" that means, he either gets stuff before other shops, or else they get special runs. Not really sure of the specifics. At any rate....he ordered it and had it drop-shipped to me from Gibson. I didn't know they even offered it in red until he asked me what color I wanted. [-o<

Duane, it's a set-neck.

WireWhipper, I got this one down now to a "respectable" height. These Epi necks will only let you get it to a point and that's as far as she goes without buzzing like a beehive.

Greetings all,

I'm a newbie here! Just wanted to say "Hi"!

I picked mine up through MF and was quite surprised that it came "set up" really nice! Nice low action and surprisingly sounds really good! I'm thinking of replacing the stock pick ups though with higher out put pick ups. I love the feel of the neck, wide and not too fat. Plus I really do like the Alpine White finish! Really flawless finish! For the price can't beat it! This will be a nice project that will only get better with a few upgrades.

"WireWhipper, I got this one down now to a "respectable" height. These Epi necks will only let you get it to a point and that's as far as she goes without buzzing like a beehive. "

Actually FWIW most of the Epi's Ive seen in this price range can Really benefit from a good fret dress/leveling and then you'll find you can get the ation quite low without the buzz.

Archived