Gibson Brands Forums

Thanks dillweeds. The Riviera p93 is gone for good.

ChrisKevin

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I am delighted to have been the lucky recipient of his second P93. I had been looking for several weeks when I stumbled onto his thread at this forum. So I joined, emailed him, and then bought it. The guitar is awesome and then some. All I can say is thanks guys for not buying it. You made me a happy man : )

Guitars:

'08 "EPI" Riviera P93

'08 "Gibson" Les Paul Vintage Mahogany

'07 "EBMM" Luke - Blue Dawn Limited Edition

'08 "Zager" LZAD-80CE Acoustic Electric

'73 "Conn" Acoustic

Amp / pedals:

'08 Fender Blues Jr. NOS Amp

'08 Behringer Ultracoustic ACX900 Acoustic Amp

ISP Decimator Noise Reduction

Ibanez TS808 Tube Screamer

MXR M169 Carbon Copy Analog Delay

'06 Sweet Sound MoFaux Vibe

Keeley Compressor

Baja Tech Das Fuzz Ge®

Boss MT-2 Metal Zone w/Keeley Mod

Boss TU-2 tuner

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus

And, why Isn't it worth $2000? Epiphone, Chinese Epiphone, Chinese anything, etc.?

Value and "worth" are so relative, and/or subjective, too. If that guitar was built here,

(same materials, same everything) you couldn't touch it, for $2000. If it had "Gibson"

on the headstock, it would be twice that!

For $499...it's unbelievable, IMHO...as always.

CB

Here's the big question: What's the most you would have paid for it? Be honest.

At the time I located this one they were still supposed to be on backorder at MF until 3/27/09 at a price of $499. So I was willing to wait until March and only pay $499. And because I thought there would be more to come, I had also passed one up on eBay (see link below) back in mid-December that actually sold for $699.99 with the "Buy It Now" option only three days after the start of the auction and with no opening bids. The seller listed the opening bid price at $599.99 with the $699.99 BIN option. At the time I wasn't willing to plop down even $599 for an opening bid. But then again, that was when I thought there would be many more arriving in March. Frankly, I was surprised to see it sell so fast at that price when everyone thought there would be more made. Go figure.

Well anyway, to answer your question . . . at the time I bought this guitar I wouldn't have paid any more than I did simply because they were only backordered . . . not discontinued. Now, had this all occurred AFTER they were discontinued I would have gone as high as $700 plus shipping. Ironically, I've got more than that amount into it now . . . Graph Tech String Saver Saddles, Deluxe Hardshell Case w/brass hygrometer and brass hardware, Oasis OH-6 Case Humidifier, Dunlop Straploks, and a very nice Levy's Soft Suede Guitar Strap. I've also filed down the nut, set the truss rod and intonation, lowered the pups, and installed some Gibson Brite Wire strings . . .

Did I just hear an offer of $1999.99?

eBay P93 from December (might need to copy/paste link into your browser):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=270317215270

Guitars:

'08 "EPI" Riviera P93

'73 "Conn" Acoustic

Amp / pedals:

Keeley Compressor

Baja Tech Das Fuzz Ge®

Boss TU-2 tuner

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus

Dill

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (Redirected from Dillweed)

For other uses, see Dill (disambiguation).

Dill (Anethum graveolens) is a short-lived perennial herb. It is the sole species of the genus Anethum, though classified by some botanists in a related genus as Peucedanum graveolens (L.) C.B.Clarke.

It grows to 40–60 cm (16–24 in) 1 inch, with slender stems and alternate, finely divided, softly delicate leaves 10–20 cm (3.9–7.9 in) long. The ultimate leaf divisions are 1–2 mm (0.039–0.079 in) broad, slightly broader than the similar leaves of fennel, which are threadlike, less than 1 mm (0.039 in) broad, but harder in texture. The flowers are white to yellow, in small umbels 2–9 cm (0.79–3.5 in) diameter. The seeds are 4–5 mm (0.16–0.20 in) long and 1 mm (0.039 in) thick, and straight to slightly curved with a longitudinally ridged surface.

Its seeds, dill seeds are used as a spice, and its fresh leaves, dill, and its dried leaves, dill weed, are used as herbs.

According to the "Urban Dictionary" (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=dill+weed) the term "Dillweed" offers up several delightful meanings for us all-seeking and curious readers of prose:

1. A person who generaly is not smart. This person cannot realize the obvious and is oblivious to reality.

"Stop reading this dictionary you stupid dillweed."

2. (A) Pickle plant. (8-[ Word Beavis often uses when talking to someone he dislikes.

(A) "Wow! This dill weed is growing quick!" (#-o "He, he he he, DILLWEED!"

3. Self-censored version of the word "dildo" or the word "dickweed" for use in polite society.

"Stop being such a dildo!" becomes: "Stop being such a dill weed!"

4. Poor quality marijuana, reefer, weed, pot, 420, skunk, etc., etc.

"Walter Bailey broke out his swag bag and wanted to add some of his reefer to Willie Joes blunt, Willie Joe exclaimed, "Yo get that schwag bag full of dill weed the hell away from my blunt *****!" "Dat **** be some serious dill weed!" Walter Bailey cried and said "I'm so uncool."

5. A person not having AT&T as his/her service provider. Being oblivious to the fact that his buddy was trying to call him with free basketball courtside tickets.

"Bill is a dill weed because he doesn't realize the importance of having AT&T wireless cellular service."

______________________________________________________________________________________

Guitars:

'08 "EPI" Riviera P93

'73 "Conn" Acoustic

Amp / Pedals:

Keeley Compressor

Baja Tech Das Fuzz Ge®

Boss TU-2 tuner

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus

Well' date=' I am delighted to have been the lucky recipient of his second P93. I had been looking for several weeks when I stumbled onto his thread at this forum. So I joined, emailed him, and then bought it. The guitar is awesome and then some. All I can say is thanks guys for not buying it. You made me a happy man : )

Guitars:

'08 "EPI" Riviera P93

'73 "Conn" Acoustic

Amp / pedals:

Keeley Compressor

Baja Tech Das Fuzz Ge®

Boss TU-2 tuner

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus[/quote']

Ouch! What a burn!

Back to the topic' date=' snas the dillweeds.

That guitar is not coming back, right?=D>

I want a riviera, not a dot or a sheraton...

WHERE CAN I FIND ONE???????????

Please help a fellow rivieran?

[/quote']

Although there's a limited few out there in mint condition no one seems to want to let them go for the time being. If you wait a year or two perhaps they'll start to surface on the resell market with just a few scuffs and scratches.

This was a very limited edition production run and because so many of these were crushed and/or received neck and headstock damage during a large shipment to the warehouse that there are even fewer available than what was produced originally. And, because they're so rare (relatively speaking), even the damaged ones on eBay (cracked necks & headstocks) have been selling for over $300 plus shipping: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=390022109665

Currently, there is another damaged Rivy P93 that just listed yesterday on eBay for $199 . . . but it's a 7-day auction, so I suspect it will go much higher: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=390026175292

If you want one in mint condition you may never find one - or if you do, it's probably going to cost you a lot more than what they sold for at MF originally. With that being said, I have one in mint condition with a pro setup, upgrades, and HS case that I might consider letting go for a price starting around four figures. Then again, maybe not - I'm still in love!

Anyway, keep a watchful eye on eBay - sooner or later something might just surface. Also, I would suggest watching Chris's Guitars at: http://www.chrisguitars.com - he turns over a lot of equipment Good luck in your quest!

______________________________________________________________________________________

Guitars:

'08 "EPI" Riviera P93

'73 "Conn" Acoustic

Amp / Pedals:

Keeley Compressor

Baja Tech Das Fuzz Ge®

Boss TU-2 tuner

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus

• 1 month later...

They are coming back so get a phone and call MF there not online, i got this email, and called today to see if they were discontinued and they are not!!!!!

email from MF:

We've just heard from our supplier that the backordered

item(s) shown below are now due to arrive at our warehouse

at a later date.

Backordered Items:

Item: 516284 025 03 EPIPHONE L E RIVIERA CUSTOM P93 ELCT GTR WINE RED

Previous Date: 20090115

New Date:20090522

We realize this is different than you were originally

quoted and sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this

may cause. We know that waiting can be frustrating but please

know that we are working to get your complete order to you.

If you have any questions, please contact customer service

at 1-800-776-5173. We're here 24/7 to help.

Thanks again for choosing Musician's Friend and please

accept our apology for this additional delay.

They are coming back so get a phone and call MF there not online' date=' i got this email, and called today to see if they were discontinued and they are not!!!!!

email from MF:

We've just heard from our supplier that the backordered

item(s) shown below are now due to arrive at our warehouse

at a later date.

Backordered Items:

Item: 516284 025 03 EPIPHONE L E RIVIERA CUSTOM P93 ELCT GTR WINE RED

Previous Date: 20090115

New Date:20090522

We realize this is different than you were originally

quoted and sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this

may cause. We know that waiting can be frustrating but please

know that we are working to get your complete order to you.

If you have any questions, please contact customer service

at 1-800-776-5173. We're here 24/7 to help.

Thanks again for choosing Musician's Friend and please

accept our apology for this additional delay.

[/quote']

Treat MF's promises for backordered stock with a degree of skepticism...

i am but i went one further and called epi in nashville, got there director of sales/marketing had him look the guitar up and he says that its real and they are haveing another production run, schedualed for 3 diff delivery dates in the U.S. he said they span them out , part of the "limitied edition" thing so i really hope it comes in, when i called they said mine was actually coming in at the end of April so ill keep my fingers crossed

Good luck Max I hope it works out for you Lord Summerisle is right about MF but the info that I've gotten from Gibby/Epi about prod runs has usally been reliable in the past .Do you remeber the name of who you talked to?

mgm

The used guitar market is like the used comic book market.

Everyone wants the shiney X-Men #1 Varient cover with foil stamped logo and holographic lens.

$3.99 when it came out.

$75 on the back market.

Give it five years, you can pick it up on e-bay for $5.99 (still a profit)

Supply and demand or quasi demand. Like inflated gas prices.

This is how the speculation market is.

Just because people say it is rare and there will never be another one like it does not make it so.

Everyone that pays over $699 for the Riviera, with a case, will feel taken when the next batch arrives.

Never pay retail!

MG

• 2 weeks later...

its from the big guys so i guess im just gonna wait.......the email i got from gibson

Thank you for writing! We have not discontinued these models. They are currently on back order, but we hope to have them available soon. Please keep in close contact with your dealer for details on your specific order. Thank you for the inquiry!

Best regards,

Benton Cummings

Gibson Customer Service

1-800-4GIBSON

This thread made me laugh. I will admit that I do a bit of buying and selling to fund my own purchases but to buy something in 2008 and try to sell it in 2009 for a big profit (minus paypal and ebay fees) is a ridiculous idea. Good to see that the guitar has gone to someone who wants to play it though...

I have NEVER seen one of these in the U.K but would certainly snap one up. They look great. I like the Jorma Kaukonen guitar as well.

I would just like to thank everyone for the thoroughly enjoyable read! As a fellow dillweed, I feel honored to know we finally received the recogniton that's been long overdue=d> Like Sakky Fields said, You Likeme. You really like me."

Archived