Gibson Brands Forums

valve senior head release update! Geez this is a popular thread!

I've been to Sweetwater's website quite a bit and they always seem to have tentative arrival dates for a lot of the Epiphone guitars. I think that they sell them faster than than they can get them in sometimes. I don't know.

When I bought my SG, they didn't have the one I wanted in stock so I watched the website to see when they would be in and then drove over and picked one up. It's nice to only live 15 minutes away from them.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep. See what happens when some darn lunatic yells WOW I GOT ONE in the middle of a crazed mob like this? [-o< People should read threads more carefully! :-

I'm waiting for the dust to settle before I even dream of ordering one! Besides, it may be an irresistible bargain, but I still can't afford it. 8-[

Gil...

Oh well. There are still plenty of Valve Standards and Specials gathering dust at the local Mom & Pop guitar shops. Those guys probably need the money more than Sweetwater, and hey, I kinda like the VStd cab anyway! :-$ Besides, it's a chassis worth gutting if you can get one for cheep; but if not, there are always cake pans to abuse. =D>

Gil...

Man, I guess I could have warned you about Sweetwater.

They jump the gun every single time, the stuff they write about whether an item is in inventory or not seems pretty believable but once you go through this a couple of times and they changed what they said then you figure out they were never honest.

They don't like the black-and-whiteness of "in stock" or "out of stock", to them there are 14 shades of grey in between.

My personal un-favorite, "maybe in stock, but reserved, give us a call and we'll let you know if you can have one of these reserved items" - Now in the heck is that?

*Sighs*

Got the news today when I called my "dude".

weepingjesus.jpg

My dreams are shattered,

thanks Epi for dropping the ball,

or rather yanking it from us and Sweetwater...

Now that being said, (and now that I have a credit with SW)

what do you guys think of the So Cal 50 head?

And for that matter, what is your opinion on the Bugera amps,

specifically the 6262 & 333 models?

Both of those options are my more likely route now, mostly because they have reverb.

sincerely,

jesus of epiphonedestroyedmydreamsia

People are getting pretty hot under the collar about the latest version of Lucy's football trick, so they're obviously contributing to the cause of global warming along with the whole economic meltdown thing, and pretty much everything else. Hey, I found a tic on one of my cats the other day. I'm sure Sweetwater had something to do with that, as well. ](*,) Bad Sweetwater. Bad! :^o

Gil...

I'm not blaming Sweetwater for this, global warming or my hangnail. But MF's business model doesn't lead consumers on, and it doesn't put sales people in the stressful position of having to deliver bad news to their customers. You know, the customers that they are supposed to be building long-term profitable relationships with?

At MF, it's either in stock and available - or it's not and they won't take the order. Someone high up at Sweetwater needs to take some basic customer relationship training courses. There's at least 15 PO'd customers out there now who may never buy anything from them again, and they don't have the little Vox's available or carry Blackheart. If this is as common as folks say, then their model is doing them more harm than good in the long run.

And it makes you wonder if Epi was just testing the water to see how much demand was out there so they could figure out how to best distribute manufacturing and distribution resources. I'm guessing that low-end amps are far more popular now than they were a few months ago, when we were all lined up to buy $1,500 quads. Either that or they want to get all those initial orders cancelled so they can raise prices...

You're honestly going to blame a distributor because the manufacturer cannot meet their long-proclaimed production and shipping goals?

Yes, yes I will. My point is that this is not the first or only time they do this. They do it all the time. The "we are getting these in in the next 2 days" is not true yet they advertise it as true. I totally agree with Brian.

As an example, I added pickup covers to My Gibson Explorer, Sweetwater had the best price, the bridge cover was in stock for sure but the neck cover went from "out of stock" to "maybe in stock" to "give us a call to see if this item is in stock" this within the single week I was looking at the items. I called them, they told me it was in stock I bought both covers and only the bridge cover came in. The neck cover was backordered, I called them again and then they told me 2 months...

An item is in stock or it is not. MF puts an expected date out there and it is usually longer than what they have been promised, sometimes you get the item before sometimes the date changes but Sweetwater is just straight up dishonest about it. But that's just my opinion anyway.

I waited 6 months for my Explorer with 3 date extensions, the difference is that the seller never said something like "you guitar will ship very soon, according to our friends at Gibson" I knew Gibson was not making the guitar for a fact so I appreciated them not lying to me.

F**k it,

I went ahead and bought the So Cal 50 today thru SW,

it was IN STOCK and they gave me a real good price on it because of the VSr. debacle.

It should arrive Tuesday.

My "dude" said that SW was just going by what Epi told them on the VSr. as far as release date.

After being delayed last summer they were told (and re-told) by Epi that it'd be available in mid Febraury.

It's hard to fault SW when they were just going by what they were told, including that the VSr.'s were in the latest shipment from Epi right up until Feb. 20th.

I'll just wait until they FINALLY are released and try & demo one or read the reviews. I can always sell the SO Cal or just scrimp and save until I can get a VSr....if they ever are released.

Maybe it's a mix of quality control &/or material availablity in China due to the Olympics. Who knows?

And now I don't care, at least not like I did...

I considered the Blues Custom 30, but because of price, all the mod talk (cap mods, etc.) and the fact that it has 11,000 tubes in it that would need to be replaced, I backed off. Plus I don't need another combo, I have a Fender CyberTwin SE now that is my main rig & I plan on A/B/Y ing it with the So Cal & my Marshall 4-12".

Not a lot on here about the So Cal 50, this board is dominated by the BC, VJr. and of course, phantom VSr. talk.

Most of the reviews I've read on the So Cal are good and the Guitar World demo vid was pretty kewl.

As far as the Bugeras, 120 is way too much watts, but very nice features for the money.

One msg board said they look "disposable" for the price and many had to either just return the amp or exchange it for another. That scares me, especially when I know that if I have a problem with the So Cal I can just send it back to SW or find a good warranty repair guy locally if needed.

In all my years of all tube amps (- the CyberTwin which is a hybrid), I've NEVER had an EL34 powered amp, always 6L6's, so I'm looking forward to the So Cal. I've had a Dean Markley Signature 60, Carvin X100B, Fender

Fender Twin Reverb, and Peavey Classic 60/60 power amp, all 6L6 based. So this amp should be a real kick for me.

Any tube suggestions for replacement? I generally like EH & Tung Sol, they sound the best to me...

I let ya'll know how the So Cal is when I get it!!!

peace,

JOS

If you find you miss the clean tone of the 6L6, but love the grind of the EL34 pushed too far, try some JJ KT77's. They're the best of both tubes, and made to be a direct swap out for the EL34. Tweak of the bias, and it's good to go same as any tube swap.

Gil...

There is no Valve Sr. Never was.

Someone did a prototype, gutted, mock-up and put it on display at NAMM (along w/those empty, fancy painted cabs that have vanished for good -- remember those?).

If/when they de-bug the prototype to a workable unit, make it cost effective to produce, and then decide to start production..., well, as I said if/when. After this much time passage, there is no other GOOD explanation.

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

Makes ya wonder if it was the chinese chicken bones, feathers, and rat tails sticking out of the compressed cab material that triggered a last minute recall; or maybe the whole load got busted at the border for having lead in the solder! Or maybe, they were loaded with green boards! Eeek! :-k

Gil...

Archived