Gibson Brands Forums

Clearness of HB pups ( Epi Dot )

tt

howdy

I am an happy fresh owner of an Epi Dot , the only HB instrument in my fleet ( -1- , -2- )

Everything otherwise perfect but i just cannot get anyhow used to the fact of the epi dot having not enough clearness to me in cleaner settings. Am I misleaded and under the influence of single coil clearness ( the teles ) ( since the HB cannot ever produce that SC glass-like clearness if desired) or is there a possibility to improve the clearness of epi dot pickups ( the tone control knobs of dot really seem pretty unefficient comparing to teles ones ) ?

How are the Epi Dot stock pickups rated in general ( on the factor of HB clearness) ?

:-

rgds,

TT

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They're not that bad, but most people here, seem to change the pickups. Some go to P-93 or similar, other just put in

"better" Humbuckers (Gibson 57's, Burstbuckers, etc.) . Some, that want the best of both worlds have gone to TV Jones Filtertron or Filtertron Plus. Has a bit of the Gretsch Twang/clarity, and can still get "down and dirty," when pushed, or used with Tube overdrive, or a pedal(s). GFS has versions, that are inexpensive (by comparison) and do an excellent job, according to all that have tried them. There will (no doubt) be a wide variety of recommendations, from others. But, those are few...

CB

Use your amp controls to tweak the sound, more highs and lower the mids and bass.

If your amp has a presence control wind that up to.

You could also use a EQ pedal.

Btw i've been playing single coil guitars all my life so it took a while to get used to the

sound of my Epiphone B.B.King Lucille.

Peter

thanks for the anwers so far

do you think/confirm that the legendary 57 classics are f a r clearer (specially on cleans) than dot´s stock pickups? the Dot´s tone controls would achieve a reason to exist ?

( I am 100% agreed that the the amp settins and the re.adjust compairing to SC ( tele) is important. My daily tube amp is Laney VC-15-110, which can sound really "boutique" with any good-quality-pickuped-Tele . However, it is almost unachievable to achieve the similar quality sound with muy otherwise very playable and gorgeous Epi Dot :-( . (My most powerful amp is PV C 50-410 (not tried it yet with the Dot as it is being under rebuild - thin OD channel cure mods) )

So, in general - Dot stock HB pups ARE muddy and the best/most practiced ( most cost effective) replacement for CLEARNESS ON CLEANER SETTINGS is to go to PAF copies ( the 57 classics) , which would really bring the sence to the TONE knobs of being existing?

Or there are any other better and more costeffective idease to offer+

bst rgds,

TT

Thanks for the answers, again

so, what would be the clearest and most cost effective and most practiced way to achieve clearer sound in cleaner settings Epi Dot ( could loose some drive ability potential in the name of clearness) ?

TT' date=' you may also want to consider humbucker-sized P90s, like Duncan Phat Cats, GFS Mean 90s, etc..

Very un-muddy.[/quote']

I put SD PhatCats in my Dot and the difference was like night and day. No more muddy low end and real clear and crisp mid's/high's.

Telbert

Before you run out and buy new pu's - make sure that your string height is as close to the polepieces as plyability will allow

you can get a fair amount of treble and clarity that way. I have a 6120 gretsch that suffered from severe mud-it is. I did end up replacing the pu's but t is worth a try first

Gibson '57 Classics are definitely going to be clearer. Really, just about any good Seymor or Gibson HB is gonna be an improvement. One of the reason's the Dot is so affordable is the realtaively low quality of the stock PU's. My Sheraton was in the same boat till upgraded.

Ron is definitely right too-check out P90 alternatives. You can get Fenderesque and Gibsonesque tones out of those. They are very versatile, though better in a solidbody for heavier music...but you are talking clean tones, so that isn't a concern.

the epiphone stock HB's are pretty crap when played as clean.

they sound like their lacking some bite, a bit of treble.

my sheraton was 'muddy'....as they are and i put a gibson p-94 in. looks great, but still not the clarity i was after.

better though, and really loud.

my band mate plays a dot, and i love these guitars but the epi HBs (same on my SG as well) arent the best.

im gonna get '57s and or SD next...

Muddy Sheraton too. Went with GFS Vintage 59's. I can now actually play the guitar through my Valve Jr. GFS are cheap but useable. I'm into good tone but couldn't afford Gibson/SD for the Sheri, GFS are a good compromise.

Ron G and Dennis G also suggested humbucker-sized P90's. If I were a humbucker fan I'd stick with my install of the GFS Vintage 59's, but I ain't so I've got a set of GFS Mean 90's waiting to go in.

Have been playing it for some time now - i turn to love it more and more every day , what a flawless finish , nice looks, etc, really cool guitar!

However, about the pickups... They still could be a little clearer and more tone defying ... Hence the following questions(sorry, but I really havent found info about it) -

Can anybody tell what is the resistance of the (later, made in China) Epi Dot pickups? What alnico magnets used?

rgds,

Telbert

Just curious. Is this the pup that everyone is changing out of their DOT's? I'm usually the 'odd man out' on the pickup controversy but these are stock in my '05 EE and I think they sound good. 'Course, I'm not doing any stage or recording work. Maybe if I was, I would need to change them out?? I play the DOT thru a '60's Magnavox Estey tube amp with one twelve and its sweet.....................J

Dot1Apr08005.jpg

The majority of Epis have that pickup at both positions (Dot' date=' Sheraton) or that pickup

at the neck and the HOTCH at the bridge (LP, Dot Studio, G400) - so chances are, the

answer to your question is "yes".[/quote']

Thanks Ron - I just checked and the sticker on both have the sticker that reads "57CH (G) DOT-NECK BRIDGE etc. but the pup casing itself is stamped F Epiphone H for the neck pup and R Epiphone H for the bridge pup. You can barely see the F just left of Epiphone in the pic that I posted which is the neck pup and the other is stamped R. Still in all they are the stock 'cheapo, faunky, undsireable' blah, blah... lol..............J

Thanks Ron - I just checked and the sticker on both have the sticker that reads "57CH (G) DOT-NECK BRIDGE etc. but the pup casing itself is stamped F Epiphone H for the neck pup and R Epiphone H for the bridge pup. You can barely see the F just left of Epiphone in the pic that I posted which is the neck pup and the other is stamped R. Still in all they are the stock 'cheapo' date=' faunky, undsireable' blah, blah... lol..............J[/quote']

I believe the "F" and "R" refer to position: F=Front=Neck R=Rear=Bridge - probably refers to pole piece spacing.

Archived