Gibson Brands Forums

Not an Epi, but a killer MF Stupid Deal of the Day.

Rallye44

I can understand if DEAN wants to release a couple of Dimebag guitars but the amount that they have is rediculous. They are just being greedy and trying to capitolize on his death. I think thats totally wrong! And yes if a were in the market for a shredder guitar, this would be a great deal!

the reason ( my guess ) that they keep releaseing his guitars is he was prolly on contract to do so... and who really says it is Dean that is keeping this going? idk could be me but my guess also Dime's market is prolly bigger now then it ever was and tupac... or how ever you spell his name.. that dude is NOT dead.. lmfao =D>

Personally, I don't care if they want to promote Dimebag, Hendrix, SRV, EC, John Lennon, Les Paul, Slash, or anybody else either dead or alive. It's all business.

Personally, I'd never buy a guitar just because another guitarist has his/her name on it, on the other hand, I wouldn't avoid a guitar because of someone's name on it either. I'm not into hero worship. However if the guitar had the features I wanted at a price I wanted to pay, I'd get it regardless of the name on the headstock, pick-guard or anywhere else.

On the other hand, I really dislike the looks of that Dean headstock, and the guitar would have to offer me a lot of advantages to overcome what is ugly in my eyes. To me that is one fugly guitar. Of course, other people must love it, so Dean is making the guitars for them, not for me.

Insights and incites by Notes

Personally' date=' I don't care if they want to promote Dimebag, Hendrix, SRV, EC, John Lennon, Les Paul, Slash, or anybody else either dead or alive. It's all business.

Personally, I'd never buy a guitar just because another guitarist has his/her name on it, on the other hand, I wouldn't avoid a guitar because of someone's name on it either. I'm not into hero worship. However if the guitar had the features I wanted at a price I wanted to pay, I'd get it regardless of the name on the headstock, pick-guard or anywhere else.[/quote']

+1

On the other hand' date=' it's not as bad as that new Zakk Wild SG/V nightmare. Wow, what an embarassing guitar![/quote']

+1 -- that's got to be one of the ugliest, if not the ugliest guitar I've ever seen

EpiContest0309.jpg

Besides for that, in many of the places I've played, you don't want to be wearing anything that looks like a target -- it just might be understood as a challenge by an audience member :)

If you want ugly, there's always Gibson's Holy duo... Yikes!

I agree, buying the guitar just because some artists uses it is ridiculous, if you only buy it because of the way it looks or the guy who endorses it. However, if you're heavily influenced by some artist, it's just natural to buy that guitar just to get just a little closer to that tone or style. I say "just" a little closer because 99% of the sound is in the hands and soul, not the gear.

Aside from all that, contract or not, it's a little bad taste for Dean to continue pushing his name all over the place like Corn Flakes or something. A little respect goes a long way.

I think Gibson will be pushing Les Paul guitars long after the sad day when he is no longer with us. And there will be variations that Lester never thought of. In fact, Les is playing something that isn't quite like the LPs in the music store, for one thing it has low impedance pickups.

My father owned a Stradivarius model violin (which I inherited) made by some company in the 20th century. Too bad it isn't the real thing.

They still sell John Lennon model guitars, and he was wasted way too young.

They make new Moog synthesizers even though Bob has departed.

You can consider the names either honor or disrespect, it's your choice. I consider them marketing tools with no emotional attachment whatsoever.

Some people will always buy gear because of hero worship. Some people buy clothes because their idols wear something similar. Some people buy dog breeds because of a current movie, or who lives in the white house. Some women buy handbags because of some designer's name plastered all over it. Some men buy sports equipment because some hero's name is on it. Marketers take advantage of the human tendency for hero worship.

Hero worship branding obviously works. We have the Johnny A Gibson, John Lennon Epi, Joe Pass Epi, Eric Clapton Strat, and etc., ad infinitum.

As long as it works, they will keep selling them.

Archived