Gibson Brands Forums

R1, R2, R3, R4, R5, R6, R7, R8, R9, etc.?

Gutch220

The R means Reissue and the number means the last number in the year. (i.e.: R9= '59 Reissue, R0= '60 Reissue)There's no such thing as a R1, because the Gibson Les Paul didn't come out until 1952. I also think there's no such thing as a '53 Reissue or a '55 Reissue. The reissues are the R2 ('52 Reissue), R4 ('54 Reissue), R6 ('56 Reissue), R7 ('57 Reissue), R8 ('58 Reissue), R9 ('59 Reissue), and R0 ('60 Reissue).

Now I edited it, sorry for the problems before.

The '52 Reissue is just referred to as the '52 Reissue (not R2) and it's the same case with the '54 Reissue (referred to as '54 Reissue' date=' not R4) and the '56 Reissue (referred to as '56 Reissue, not R6). [/quote']

Where did you get this from? They are referred to as R2, R4, etc.

The R means Reissue and the number means the last number in the year. (i.e.: R9= '59 Reissue' date=' R0= '60 Reissue)There's no such thing as a R1, because the Gibson Les Paul didn't come out until 1952. I also think there's no such thing as a '53 Reissue or a '55 Reissue. The '52 Reissue is just referred to as the '52 Reissue (not R2) and it's the same case with the '54 Reissue (referred to as '54 Reissue, not R4) and the '56 Reissue (referred to as '56 Reissue, not R6).

The R part doesn't come in until the '57 Reissue. Then, there's the R7 ('57 Reissue), R8 ('58 Reissue), R9 ('59 Reissue), and the R0 ('60 Reissue).

Yes, I know, the system is a little weird.[/quote']

Not entirely true.

The COA for my 1954 reissue lists the model as R-4. I can't speak to the '56 reissues.

Tim...

If I could find an R9 close to the look of yours id buy it on the spot.

Thats a beautiful guitar.

To me, and R9-R0 would be where id look if I were in the market today.

Im still trying to explain the Leslie speaker to my wife...its bigger then her! (almost)

Not entirely true.

The COA for my 1954 reissue lists the model as R-4. I can't speak to the '56 reissues.

My bad. I thought it was that way. If it's that way for the '54 reissues, the same is probably true for the '52 and '56 reissues.

Im still trying to explain the Leslie speaker to my wife...its bigger then her! (almost)

Do you have a ceiling fan in your house?

Put your amp on one side and your wife on the other, put the fan on a medium speed.

Presto! Poor man's Leslie!

I've heard of people recording that effect, drives me crazy in my living room...

Do you have a ceiling fan in your house?

Put your amp on one side and your wife on the other' date=' put the fan on a medium speed.

Presto! Poor man's Leslie!

I've heard of people recording that effect, drives me crazy in my living room...[/quote']

I have heard of people using a table fan, never a ceiling fan....interesting.

I have heard of people using a table fan' date=' never a ceiling fan....interesting.[/quote']

It's all in the mic placement. Ceiling fans turn much slower. With a rheostat you could vary speed to match tempo...

Hey I have a couple of questions.

1. I am thinking of buying a Gibson R0 VOS and I was wondering do they come in a Nitro finish?

2. What is the difference between the Les Paul classic 1960 reissue and the gibson r0 VOS, if any?

3. And finally, what is the quality difference between the two guitars?

Hey I have a couple of questions.

1. I am thinking of buying a Gibson R0 VOS and I was wondering do they come in a Nitro finish?

2. What is the difference between the Les Paul classic 1960 reissue and the gibson r0 VOS' date=' if any?

3. And finally, what is the quality difference between the two guitars?[/quote']

1) yes

2) google

3) Historics are better

2. What is the difference between the Les Paul classic 1960 reissue and the gibson r0 VOS' date=' if any?

3. And finally, what is the quality difference between the two guitars?[/quote']

In addition to what FennRx said...lol!.

2. Yes, there are many differences between the two...too many to list, actually.

You're in Ontario? Where exactly? Your best bet is to walk into a Long & McQuade and ask them to explain.

3. The quality difference is night and day. R0 is a higher end guitar. Better? Well, you be the judge of that.

The R0 costs also 2-1/2 times more than the Classic.

What makes the Historics better? because I have heard that they are the same as a VOS other than the Finish. I was wondering what the price of a used R0 should be if its in good shape?

use the search button on this forum. this has been discussed ad nausem.

they sell new for like 5200, so low 4000s is prolly fair. maybe lower is you get lucky.

Better wood, long neck tenon, true solid-body.

VOS & historic & reissue all refer to the same guitars. VOS is just the finish that gives the guitar an aged look...that's all it is. It's not a different model.

Reissues are made in the Custom Shop, that 1960 Classic is not. It's "just" a Gibson USA guitar. Honestly, just go try them out and ask the guys in the music store for details. This has been covered time and time again in this forum. If you want more info, just spend some time and browse through the threads...but honestly, reading about them will only get you so far. You have to physically hold them and play them to see the light...

What do these mean? Can someone explain..........

Thanks Gutch for asking. I looked all over the web for that type of reference and only found forum posts that didn't explain it. Having only been an LP owner for about a month, I didn't have a clue.

So.... if it isn't a reissue, do people just say " my 58" or "My 60" ?

Archived