Gibson Brands Forums

Always Up-grade your pickups!

rowdy27

Epiphone makes a fair product..but, I've yet to own ONE that didn't need some upgrades to bring the guitar to its fullest potential.

My most recent acquisition is my Epiphone Les Paul Custom, in black.

The stock pickups were lame..but a pair of PAF Humbuckers breathed life into this marvelous instrument.

Try it yourself & thank me later. Cheers Dan..Let there be ROCK!!!

Guest icantbuyafender
I'm thinking of making a custom SG Special with a P-90 at the neck and some kind of good coil-tapping humbucker in the bridge. Haven't got that far into the planning process yet :-k
a VEH GFS humbucker, cts push-pull pot, and orange drop caps.

the VEH splits very convincingly and the .047uf orange drop will give it some bite. that's my 2¢.

I guess that (as usual) i'm the "odd bird" in this flock........I currently own 2 Epi's (#3 is supposed to arrive today !)

and i'm quite satisfied with the stock p'ups in both, for the exact tones that i WANT from them.

My G400 Custom Flametop & My Sheraton II both put out the vintage Bluesy moderate tones I want from them.

For something hotter theres my GLP w/Gibson origionals........my Flying V with insanely hot 496/500 p'ups.......and my Tele w/a Kent Armstrong hot twin in the bridge.

When my '98 ELP Std. arrives i'll give it a while, then decide exactly what it'll be used for, and act (or not act) accordingly. (I've read that the pre '02 Epi p'ups are better.....we'll see)

Hey..do what ya want. When ya learn how to play' date=' then you'll know what I'M SAYING!![/quote']

Nothing wrong with the stock Epi Alnico V pick-ups in my G-400. The neck pick-up is nice and round, warm and almost jazzy...the bridge pick-up is suitably bright, without being brittle.

But according to you I guess I'll need to "learn to how to play first," and then I'll understand that I was wrong all along, yeah?

Epiphone makes a fair product..but' date=' I've yet to own ONE that didn't need some upgrades to bring the guitar to its fullest potential.

My most recent acquisition is my Epiphone Les Paul Custom, in black.

The stock pickups were lame..but a pair of PAF Humbuckers breathed life into this marvelous instrument.

Try it yourself & thank me later. Cheers Dan..Let there be ROCK!!![/quote']

rowdy,

I have the same guitar, a black Epi LP Custom, and would like to do the same.

Where would I find the PAF Humbuckers, and were any modifications to the guitar necessary for the change?

Thanks,

Lee

Where would I find the PAF Humbuckers' date=' and were any modifications to the guitar necessary for the change?

[/quote']

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/humbucker/vintage/59_model_sh1_an/

Easiest place to pick them up would probably by Guitar Center.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Seymour-Duncan-SH-1--59-Model-Electric-Guitar-Pickup-300010-i1127357.gc

I don't know if they have them in stock in store however. I'm not a big fan of the GC in Durham, and I've never tried the one in Raleigh.

Seymour-Duncan have provided some on-line videos about how to change the pick-ups in a Les Paul:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/choosing-installing/installing-pick/

I guess people's angst wasn't caused by suggesting a pick-up change per se, but rather the dogmatic phrasing of the title thread + the implied suggestion that anyone who likes the stock Epi p'ups is obviously a novice guitarist!

IMHO Epis pick-ups have improved dramatically since the '90s. The stock Alnico Vs that now come in G-400s are nicely voiced, and seem to be very well potted.

It's natural to want to change pick-ups for a particular reason (for example, you're not going to get a G-400 to sound like Angus without swapping out the stock-pickups for real '57s). But that isn't reason enough to declare that the stock pick-ups suck...

Hey..do what ya want. When ya learn how to play' date=' then you'll know what I'M SAYING!![/quote'] I do know how to play, and I do know what you're saying .... was just messin' .... but I do still have my stock pups in my LP :D

I'm not terribly fond of the current Epiphone humbuckers, and would generally agree regarding those-I've had mine swapped out; but Epi P90's are really just fine. They are quite nice actually. And I have Gibson P90's to compare them with...I wasn't convinced at first....but several months into it I am a believer...I like 'em as much as the Gibsons......I also have several other American guitars w/ American hardware...and I can play somewhat-so I consider my opinion "qualified."

It just all depends...but for the guitar mentioned in the original post-I would probably do the same thing. Then again, a jazz guy I know and have taken lessons from, with close to 40 years of experience and I swear he could give guys like Joe Pass and Wes Montgomery a run for their money (maybe not guys like Pat Martino or Tal Farlow though) who has an Epi Lucille, all stock, and it's his go to over a Heritage Les Paul, a Gibson Les Paul and a couple Ibanez George Benson models. He has no intention of changing those babies out as he is happy with it as is. There's no standard to go by!

i have four epiphones and the stock pickups are fine for me' date=' besides i can't afford to upgrade.[/quote']

????Was ist los mit Ihnen? Gehen Sie zu http://store.guitarfetish.com/pickups.html und kaufen

Sie einige GFS PICKUPS!

Und dann werden Sie Rock 'n' Roll mit Energie spielen!!!!!

Ja, Ja, Ja!!! Schnell, Schnell, Schnell!!!!

Archived