Gibson Brands Forums

Mind Boggling Decision..

Bangbang

I have the Faded G400 SG modded with Gibsons 490t and 490 r......my buddy has had it for about 6 months and wants to give me $600 for it. I am looking at the Prophecy SG GX and am really tempted to do it. However my head says....don,t because although the Prophecy has Dirty Fingers and looks real pretty I realy like the sound of my modded G400 and my shop does not a Prophecy for me to test out. Ughhhh!!!!! Besides by the time I get it set up and pay taxes I am out about 150 bucks or more. Does anyone have the Prophecy?

Follow your "Gut!" At least until you can test out a Prophecy' date=' and see if you really like it, more that the G-400.

You have time, right?

CB[/quote']

My buddy is looking at a banjo that he will get if he does not buy my G400...my gut says keep it. Plus my wife will have a fit. Crazy womano:)

Yeah, I think I'm to utilitarian, to buy into too much "bling," that so many "Asian" made guitars seem to have.

My Sheraton is at the upper end of acceptable "bling" for me. When it's "too pretty," it seems/looks "cheap,"

even if/when it's not! So...??? But, that's just ME.

CB

Yeah' date=' I think I'm to utilitarian, to buy into too much "bling," that so many "Asian" made guitars seem to have.

My Sheraton is at the upper end of acceptable "bling" for me. When it's "too pretty," it seems/looks "cheap,"

even if/when it's not! So...??? But, that's just ME.

CB[/quote']

No, it's also me. But that Gibson SG in Autumn finish is nice............

Well, you knew I was gonna have to chime in on this one ...

So much of what we like of dislike about a particular guitar is totally subjective. I can only share my thoughts with you:

I never cared for SG’s … the Epiphone versions in particular. To me the necks seemed ridiculously wide and they just sounded … dead! A “thunk” where you wanted to hear a “ring”! The Prophecy GX changed all of that for me.

I had owned the Les Paul version of the guitar for a while, so when I had the opportunity to play the SG, I did so with high hopes … that were ultimately rewarded. The neck is just wonderful … slim and fast with an ebony fret board that is a work of art. The Dirty Fingers pup’s will never … I repeat: NEVER need upgrading. They are never muddy, and unlike the EMG's (IMHO), are very versatile in that they can produce a warm, clear tone as well as a scream.

Someone said that they are heavy … I offer this quote from Guitar World’s review of the Prophecy line:

“Even with the quilted maple tops, the SG models had the comfortable, light feel of a vintage Sixties SG, and the Les Paul models had the “just right” weight you’d expect for a new Les Paul. However, the Floyd-equipped Futura FX felt significantly heavier than my almost featherweight stop-tailpiece Futura EX example. I noticed a similar but not as drastic weight difference between the EM-2 FX and EM-2 EX.”

It is a great slab of wood that resonates and rings acoustically when unplugged ... and who needs to say anything about the looks of this guitar. It can be a bit of a challenge for a more traditional player (the gold and the lightning bolts), but I'm 52 ... far from a head-banging kid ... and I love the look. I've gotten nothing but compliments from fellow musicians and audiences members for both the look and, more importantly, the sound of both of my GX's.

In conclusion, let not your heart be troubled nor your mind boggled. The SG Prophecy GX is an amazing guitar! Obviously you're going to want to play it first or find a place with a good return policy in the event you just don't bond with the guitar. A few of the folks on this forum own them now ... hopefully they will chime in.

Jim

Nice axe MIDI....then again I'm a big SG fan anyways.

One thing I wouldn't care to much about it though, other than the gold hardware. Would be the single vol and tone controls shared between both P/Us. Probably not a big isuue to most but it would mostly get old real quick with me.

I relly on my guitar controls to much I guess....just what I got use to. I'm constantly fiddling with the guitar controls and most of the times have the tone and vol. set different between pickups.

Anyhow just a personal hang up of mine....not a big deal to most probably. But just because of that my vote, or preference, would go for the G-400....still, definitely a nice SG for sure.

BTW...curios. I was checking the prophecy at MFs and it states to have two volume and one tone. How that be done?...I only see two pots. Push/pull pots maybe? LOL...the controls getting more complicated to change on the fly for this old knot head.

Well, at least the Prophecy has better "beveling" it looks like, from the photos. And, it may well be a "great guitar?"

But, I like "traditional" SG's...that is early '60's styling, appointments, etc. But Again, that's just ME! The only real point

initially, was that the original poster should try out a "Prophecy," first...to see if the trade/sale of his G-400 (for him) was

going to be "worth it?" That's all... And yeah, you're quite right, about all this being "subjective!" It's nearly always that,

beyond the obvious looks and/or construction/materials differences.

CB

I have FOUND a Prophecy that you CAN AFFORD!!! Wife CAN'T get mad!!!

Uhhh....unfortunately it's in the Ebay "U-Fix" section:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Epiphone-SG-Prophecy-Custom-GX-Electric-Guitar-U-FIX_W0QQitemZ380111953211QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item380111953211&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

"This guitar got damaged in shipping.

The neck is broke near the headstock. The electronics have been tested and all works correctly.

This guitar HAS NOT been marked with a stamp that indicates ...USED, BLEM, "B", 2nd, etc.

No case included"

319epiPROPH024.jpg

319epiPROPH023.jpg

Man! I just noticed how "dusty" my guitar was in that second pic. Spring has arrived in Las Vegas and all of the plants and trees (most of which have no business being here in the desert) are blooming!

Rafeal: The LP and the SG both have coil taps ... a tug on the volume control filps the Dirty Fingers into single coil mode. I never really use it myself. There is only one volume and one tone on these guitars. The Prophecy Futura has two volume controls. I guess MF got confised ...

CB: 100% with you on the subjective nature of guitars ... and just about everything else from the cars we drive to the beer we drink. As Lucretius said in 637 AD: "One man's meat is another man's poison".

Jim

Man! I just noticed how "dusty" my guitar was in that second pic. Spring has arrived in Las Vegas and all of the plants and trees (most of which have no business being here in the desert) are blooming!

I bet they use up a ton of water to keep those plants watered...(not to mention the golf courses!)

Bangbang,

Stay with your faded G-400. I think it's a more (classically) good looking guitar than the Prophecy. The whole line is one of those "what were they thinking?" moments--admittedly IMHO. It's also more versatile with two controls per pickup. And don't forget your mods.

Save you money for your next big GAS--maybe an LP or Dot! Cheers.

If someone offered me $600 for a g400 it would be gone on the spot. I did well to get just around $400 for mine and it also had upgraded pickup, nut, pots, switch, ect.

Sell it asap, then look into to prophecy if that's what you want, you could wait for a used one.

But IMO the best bang for buck would be to take that $600 and buy an Elite/Elitist from ebay...they go for right around that or less these days. And it will be a MILLION times better than the faded g400 in sound, looks, and playability right out of the box.

Archived