Gibson Brands Forums

Now HERE'S one I'd truly like to own ...

midiman56

It's a good-looking SG! I just cannot justify $8,000+ for the "aged" finish!

For $8000 I expect a guitar that will cause heads to snap around and jaws

to drop when I pull it out of the case (at a dollar a peek, 5 dollars to touch)

in order to get my money back! Perhaps I just haven't reattained my previous

level of appreciation for the instrument based on it's reputation and provenance...

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-Custom/Robby-Krieger-SG.aspx

What an absolute beauty. Outlandishly expensive' date=' of course, but one I'd truly love to own, both for the instrument and the legendary player it commorates!

Jim[/quote']

Well, Jim...looks like you'll need to hit the "slots," out there, get some "spending money," for that guitar!

I'd settle for the VOS version with Maestro, and "bang it up," myself. ;>)

CB

If any guitar player deserves a custom model it`s Robbie. Always overlooked as a great player.

But I`ll pass seeing as I already have one.

And mine only cost. $199.00.

Picture021.jpg

Gotta take a better picture now that I got a new camera.

3 reasons why I would not be interested in this guitar. First off, I don't like the " worn " or reliced " finish on new guitars. I would rather put the wear and tear on a guitar myself.

Secondly, I don't like tremolos on SGs. I really don't care for them on any guitar as I don't use them but hate the looks of them on a SG.

Lastly, and this may get some guys riled up, i have never cared for " The Doors ". I don't know why. Sure, they were a huge group and influenced alot of groups after them but I have just never cared much for their material.

...the Krieger Inspired By model recreates the body of his beloved 1967 SG Standard, right down to the tiniest scratches, dings and belt rash

That just seems so silly. I'll have a new SG Standard and spend the rest of something else, thank you. For those with the money to buy this guitar, well, it's good for the company so that's fine with me.

Considering that a regular VOS SG is about half that price... I can't see spending all that extra just on the off chance that some rube will get the idea that I've got Robby Krieger's guitar. Then, if I ever want to I can always pop on three witch hat knobs and learn the chords to Light My Fire...

What's next? Will Gibson offer a new Pete Townshend SG, fully relicked, where basically you get a bag full of shards lovingly smashed by Tom Murphy? Ooooooooh...

aol_poundit.gif

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-Custom/Robby-Krieger-SG.aspx

What an absolute beauty. Outlandishly expensive' date=' of course, but one I'd truly love to own, both for the instrument and the legendary player it commorates![/quote']

Interesting. I had three Gibsons in the 60s - a ES330, a SG Standard and a SG Special.

Didn't keep any of them after I stopped playing in bands (stupid). The one I liked least

was the SG Standard, mostly because of the vibrato causing tuning stability problems.

I also got tired of that ridiculously huge piece of useless chrome. As far as the relic thing,

I don't get it. Does BMW sell relic-ed 750s?

To each his own, I guess. It kinda looks like an Angus model, all beat up. It seems to me all the pictures I've ever seen of Robby Krieger, he was playing a Classic (2 P90s). That's like that Jeff Beck Oxblood Les Paul, that guitars been in their catalog forever, and someone at Gibson decides, "let's stick Beck's name on it, and charge 12 times what it's worth without his name on it." Sick. I dunno, that whole "inspired by" thing their doing is wrong, as far as I'm concerned.

It seems to me all the pictures I've ever seen of Robby Krieger' date=' he was playing a Classic (2 P90s).[/quote']

In those days, that'd be called a Special. The Classic was a 'reissue' of sorts, but with a Nashville TOM instead of the wraparound bridge originally found on the Specials:

1964_sg_special_001_resize.jpg

Archived