Gibson Brands Forums

between 4 manufacturer

elleon ricardo

so.. for my birthday's i want to buy my self a brand new guitar, since i never had a gibson before, i think it might good to buy an SG for a starter, but that gorgeous PRS MIRA keep bugging me.. ( silvery and it have gorgeous sound ) i wish one day fender could produce a SET - NECK Joint Guitar.. but that tele 72's also so beautiful, with 2 humbucker and 2 tone / 2 vol come with ebony color ...

between 5 of them i think most affordable is fender strat , PRS or Schecter and the priciest is Gibson..

so what do you think i should buy???????? PLEASE HELP ME!!!! :P

so.. for my birthday's i want to buy my self a brand new guitar' date=' since i never had a gibson before, i think it might good to buy an SG for a starter, but that gorgeous PRS MIRA keep bugging me.. ( silvery and it have gorgeous sound ) i wish one day fender could produce a SET - NECK Joint Guitar.. but that tele 72's also so beautiful, with 2 humbucker and 2 tone / 2 vol come with ebony color ...

between 5 of them i think most affordable is fender strat , PRS or Schecter and the priciest is Gibson..

so what do you think i should buy???????? PLEASE HELP ME!!!! :P [/quote']

I voted got the PRS. the Mira is nice but that blue denim modern II is nice. If you get an SG look for a used one it will save you $$$

Here's another vote for the '72 tele ... I'd recommend you give the Thinline semi hollow a try. It's an amazingly versatile guitar sound-wise and a joy to play. I go back and forth with the second guitar I take to work, but that tele goes every night.

JIm

SANY0011.jpg

between 5 of them i think most affordable is fender strat ' date=' PRS or Schecter and the priciest is Gibson..

so what do you think i should buy???????? PLEASE HELP ME!!!! O:) [/quote']

The price of the Mira is about $1800 USD, more than a Gibson SG Standard and substantially more than a Gibson SG Special Faded. Makes the decision more difficult.

yes, PRS mira it does like Gretsch corvette.. i choose it because of that but i more into PRS sound rather than Gretsch.. and about the money.. i put sweetwater price to compare -

PRS is around 1800 USD

SG standard ( ebony ) 1600 USD

Telecaster 72's deluxe ( 2 humbs ) 1000 USD

Strat american std 1400 USD

schecter PT fastback - i cant find it anywhere so i just stick with amazon.com price - 600 USD

I Really love Tele( i have one ) and i dont mind to get another one with humbucker LOL but compare with PRS AND SG which one is more wise to buy?

and just another question.. does anyone have any idea, is the SG also have some kind H - H - H routing system or H -S - H routing System behind the pickguard like Fender does or just simply H - H routing system ? cause my tele come from the factory with 2 single coil routing system but when I take out the pickguard i found that i have H S S routing system.. does anyone know that?

Yeah, PRS makes some really versatile guitars and the tones that one get out of them just runs the gamut of Single coil through Humbuckers with the flick of a switch. They are light weight yet solid to the feel. The neck is just smooth to the touch and is so easy to play. I love mine and those Miras look wonderful too!

Here's my Custom 22 10 top:

Picture287.jpg?t=1241009764

Picture288.jpg?t=1241009807

In late 2006, I had been playing single coils for a very long time. My #1 was a Jazzmaster style made of parts form Warmoth and Fender USA. With the encouragement of my wife, who is also our bass player, I set out to find a humbucker guitar so our band could beef up the guitar sound a bit. I had recently sold an amp and a guitar and saved up a bunch of $$, and wanted to buy based on how the guitar sounded and played and felt, not based on price.

I thought for sure I was going to buy a SG standard. I even registered for an account at EverythingSG.com. However, earlier that year I ordered a guitar online that I thought was going to be perfect for me, but it turned out to be not me at all, and I lost a few hundred dollars reselling it. So I went shopping this time to play before buying. I went to a shop that had a ton of Gibsons, Epiphones, PRS, and others. I spent several hours.

The SG fell to the bottom of the list quickly. Its tone was muddy, unbalanced between the pickups, and generally weak, though I liked the neck profile a lot. Not good enough.

I played several Les Pauls, standards, studios, a Historic Reissue, and an Epiphone LP Elitist which was the least expensive guitar I played. The LP Standards were all either muddy or weak. Couldn't find one I liked in the slightest. The 58 Historic Reissue sounded like the heavens parting and light shining down, but was well beyond my price range without going into a lot of debt. The Epi Elistist came in a close second to the 58 Reissue. It didn't sound quite as good, but man, less than a grand! I could have bought three for what the R8 would have cost, and it was a great guitar. The neck was just a touch too skinny for my tastes, but it was a contender.

Then I played some PRS guitars. They were so heads and tails above the majority of Gibsons and I played, it wasn't even funny. I was simply blown away. Walked away from the whole process with a Custom 22, solid black with natural binding, trem. It's the only guitar I have owned since 1994 (high school for me) that I have not swapped out the pickups and/or electronics.

All that said, my recently acquired Epi Sheraton has risen to the top of my humble pile of guitars as my #1 player. It's far from stock, but with the mods I've done to it, it sounds phenomenal, even better to my ears than my PRS. However, I am reminded when I play the PRS exactly what a quality guitar is. Every PRS I've played since (including a couple Miras) has the same thing, some may call it mojo, I call it quality. It's something you feel the moment you pick the instrument up. My Epi doesn't have that. But since we're talking music, what matters most is the sound coming out of the speakers.

Nice to see that SG making a late charge.

I'm sure PRS are nice high quality guitars but I've never personally GASed for one. For me, the SG is the hard rocker with all the character. I prefer the attack and sustain of the SG to the equally character laden Strats and Teles.

Either this guy is big' date=' or the body on that PRS Mira is tiny. It reminds me of a Gretsch Corvette somehow. Sounds solid though ...

JIm[/quote']

He's gotta be a really big guy. I have Mira & it's about the same dimensions as a Strat. It's a *****in' guitar, with the expected PRS quality. You can get some really sweet sounds out of it. Very versatile guitar. I picked mine up at GC about 10 months ago. It had a hairline scratch in the finish on the back, so after a little haggling, I was able to walk out the door with it and a hardshell PRS case for $1500.

MiraCloseup.jpg

Not quite sure how you recommend a guitar for somebody else.

But of those listed I would probably go with the Gibson SG because it is was of those guitars everybody should own at least once.

If it were me though, I would be looking at something like a used Suhr or Grosh.

i have put it in simple way.. so there's 3 major choices : Mira, SG, Tele.. with pro and cons

SG : "cheaper" than Mira, but what about the sound?

Mira: better with sound and feel, but more expensive

Tele : no comment

i have tried the SG standard, and my first impression was they are easy to play, light weight, but i dont hear any

miraculous sound, its good its gibson for sure but its wasnt enough ( YET... ) and i also tried PRS SE Custom ( i know at this point, mira cant be compare with the SE custom but the thing is i cant play mira because i have to seal the deal with the seller first, just to make sure im serious buyer and at the end i have to buy it, whenever i like it or not ~ sighhh ) but all im saying is i like PRS sound but because its SE and the other contender is gibson, SG is my first choice.. but im still not sure with it.. HELPPP!!!

any suggestion or reviews for those two?

MANY THANKS TO ALL MEMBERS THAT ALREADY PUT THEIR MIND TO MY THREADS BY GIVING ME SUGGESTION OR THEIR INFO ABOUT THESE GUITARS. THANK YOU

Archived