Gibson Brands Forums

My new look SG is complete! More Pics Added!

Swoop

Picked up the new, custom made, full size pickguard for my G400 today. And also picked the guitar up from the luthier, had a new nut fitted and a full setup. I will of course have to reset the action and intonation, as I removed the strings he fitted so I could put the pickguard on. I want to use my favoured DRs on it too. But that's an easy fix.

Fitted the pickguard. It's not quite perfect, which I fully expected, given that the guitar is not meant to have the large pickguard, and it's totally custom made. But, it's pretty close, yoy probably wouldn't notice the imperfections unless I pointed them out and I think it looks great.

Here's a couple of pics. I really want to play it to test out the new setup, but I will have to wait until I get some strings.

DSC00284.jpg?t=1257387093

DSC00286.jpg?t=1257387124

The new guard does just barely foul with the switch washer, so I might remove the washer. What's the best way to do this, and how can I remove any sticky residue it might leave behind?

I think the washer is just on like any other washer, held on by the retaining ring for the switch. if there is residue, then naptha will remove it easily. Naptha is the same as Ronsonol lighter fluid. I just used it a few months ago to remove the pickguard residue on an acoustic that I removed. worked like a charm. don't smoke while you are doing this. or be near ANY open flame.

nice SG. I jsut put a Bigsby and GFS Mean 90's on mine.....I will try to get pics this weekend...

Jeff

Cheers fellas. I wonder if I could ream the switch hole a little, and move the switch down towards the control knobs. I'm talking just a few mm here. The switch washer would hide the extra gap. It would be more Gibson like to have the switch more in line with the tailpiece. I like having the switch washer on there, it makes it look finished to me. Not too keen on reaming the hole though.

TWANG, not sure why the pics are small. They're not huge, just 640x480, but sounds like what you're seeing is much smaller.

Oh, and just for the sake of comparison, here's the old vs. the new.

Body2.jpg?t=1257408394DSC00286.jpg

Twang it happens on my computer too. Usally happen on the gibson site tho. Press F5 after the page has loaded and it will refresh and reload and normally the pics come up full size. Its a pain in the arse tho!

Loving the full pickguard by the way. I always though i liked the smaller one but my views have changed

Thanks mate. I don't really have a preference. I like both of them. I just wanted a change.

I don't muck around, I've just moved the switch! I removed the switch washer, just lifted the edge of it with a screwdriver, then slid a pick under it and away it came. They are typically backed with self adhesive, so it did leave a little residue when I pulled it off. I managed to rub that away with a cloth, but unforunately it pulled a little of the finish away around the hole, which is to be expected. So the switch washer has to stay. Fine by me, I prefer it anyway. So I simply slotted the hole so it's a little oval shaped, and fitted everything back up again. The switch washer hides everything, and it all looks stock.

Now there's a bit of real estate between the pickguard and the washer. Much better!

Excuse the crap picture. it's after 10pm here, so there's no natural light to speak of! I'll have to get a nice new washer I think, it got a little beat up when I removed it. Stuck it down with some double sided tape, but somen ice new self adhesive would be good.

DSC00293.jpg

Excellent. as a rookie I look forward to the time I have the knowhow for such 'modding'.

When I purchased my G400 it was incredibly neck heavy. Switching the 10 ton grovers out for grover classics made a difference (and look much better as well). Also inserted a bag of lead shot into the back cavity to provide weight relief. Since then I have switched out the standard pickups for Gibson 490's. It has turned out to be mighty sweet.

Guest icantbuyafender

I guess Im the "gear snob"...

...I like the small pickguard. So much that i even fit one onto my originally pickguard-less SG special.

Good job though, swoop. Looks like a winner.

Horses for courses fellas. Like I said, I don't really have a preference. My preference has chopped and changed really. Back in the days of my G-310, part of the reason I bought that guitar was for the large pickguard. Of course I soon wanted something better, and bought the G400, the small pickguard grew on me. Now I'm back to loving the large pickguard again, hence my desire to put one on my SG. Change is as good as a rest, or so they say. I'd like to get another SG someday, probably a faded one this time, that'll probably keep the small guard. Though that Walnut '66 G400 looks fantastic, with the large guard.

Anyhow, off I trot to get some strings.

Now she's totally complete! Got some strings on her, tuned her up, set the action and pickup height, and she's sweet! Plays exceptionally well now. Super low action, and not a hint of fret buzz. The tech did a great job of fitting the nut and setting it up, even if he did mark the fingerboard a little. Of course, I am insanely pedantic, and you cannot see the marks at all, they are very minor. I just happened to notice them as I was oiling the fingerboard. I smothered it in lemon oil and left it for 5 hours to soak in before giving it a quick wipe with a cloth. Makes it feel super smooth, and bends are ridiculosuly easy now. Sounds great with the new nut too. It's a Tusq XL which I believe has teflon in it, or is it graphite? I've had the new nut in my posession so long I've forgotten. Anyway, clarity is greatly enhanced, and it has a much nicer clean tone now.

Very pleased with the way the cosmetic and nut upgrades have gone. Here's a few more pics for you all. I think the new pickguard makes teh grain stand out more, which is odd considering it covers up more of the wood.

DSC00296.jpg

DSC00298a.jpg

DSC00306.jpg

DSC00307.jpg

DSC00310.jpg

Plenty of clearance between the switch and pickguard now!

DSC00309.jpg

DSC00314.jpg

Archived