Gibson Brands Forums

Which amp

lpfan

Hey everyone I am looking for a new amp but my limit is gonna be around 400. What do you guys recommend? I play classic rock, country, 80's, 90's. A little of everything but I don't do the thrash metal or punk stuff. Nothing wrong with it, just not my style. Anyway what amp should I get? I would like to ge a tube and I will probably have to go used but not sure what to get. I know 400 isn't alot to spend on an amp but thats all I can do for now. I have tried the vox ac4 and i reallly like it but I would love to find a used fender blues jr too. I don't need anything huge but I will play some friends from time to time. So what are your ideas?

Options, options. :-k Here's the newcomer to the table. New, with reverb, and $36 bucks cheaper.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ValveSr/

Basically, it boils down to what kind of tone you're looking for. The Blackheart with its el84's is more akin to a single channel 18watt Marshall 1974x variant with the TMB mod. The Valve Senior with its 6V6's has a preamp more like a Fender Deluxe Reverb. Two completely different worlds of tone to choose from for making your guitar sound like your guitar!

Gil...

Options' date=' options. :) Here's the newcomer to the table. New, with reverb, and $36 bucks cheaper.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ValveSr/

Basically, it boils down to what kind of tone you're looking for. The Blackheart with its el84's is more akin to a single channel 18watt Marshall 1974x variant with the TMB mod. The Valve Senior with its 6V6's has a preamp more like a Fender Deluxe Reverb. Two completely different worlds of tone to choose from for making your guitar sound like your guitar!

Gil...

[/quote']

Totally Agree here!!!:-k

Blues Jr is great, Blackheart is better, but my money is in the Fender Super Champ XD. It is much more versatile, and can do a reasonable aproximation of any sound you are after. even acoustic. give one a listen.

Also, the same mods for the Blues JR, OT and speaker apply to the SCXD.

check out this http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=super+champ+xd+review&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=foIES7HXBcmTnQfB6qx5&sa=X&oi=video_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4&ved=0CB8QqwQwAw#

I'll say it all day long' date=' you can't go wrong with a Blackheart, no matter what you play.[/quote']

Perhaps checking out the blackheart/epiphone shootouts that the tone king did on youtube would be a good idea... I know where I stand in the epi/blackheart debate mostly because of that guy...

Amazing how much influence personal taste has on this, I suggest you do what I did and go out and play lots and lots of amps in your price range. See, I tried Vox, Line6, Kustom, Marshall, Fender (yes the Super Champ XD), Roland, Orange and Hiwatt and I finally ended up with Kustom.

I didn't try the Blackheart or Blackstar because they were out of my price range. Actually, so was the Fender but it was there in the shop so I tried anyway. Personally, I loved the Fender clean, it was beautiful, but everything else I found very disappointing.

If you are making a purchase that you will live with for years, it might be better to stretch your budget and get the one you fall in love with to start with. Make a consolation on that and you will end up losing money when you finally trade it in on the one you should have gotten to start with.

Take your time and make a good choice and spend another hundred or two... Or, compromise and spend the money later to trade up. I've been there and bought 4 amps in the last 3 years. My total outlay for those four was $1649. I sold two for about $50 to $100 less than I paid and my final choice was a Peavey Vypyr Tube 60. I kept my Roland Cube 60, the Vypyr, and sold the Line 6 spider 75 and Vox Ad50VT.

or here...

www.tedweber.com

fender, marshall, or vox copies....

start with a tweed champ 5F1, Clapton sure liked to record with them, as well as Joe Walsh and a ton of others....

but, you gotta know what you are doing at least a little bit to put one together.

Hey there, I too was in the market for a good , reasonably priced tube amp and was coming up short on funds when I found what I wanted. Then my buddy suggested an Ampeg. I researched and found a mid 90's Ampeg Reverberocket re issue with a Eminence Texas heat speaker upgrade for $350.00 shipped from E Bay. Very nice with two 6L6's powering it. And at 50lbs it is not too heavy and the reverb is to die for ! And this thing can get real loud and low too !

Check them out, you won't be disapointed. They also kinda have a cult following if youre into that kind of stuff.

I think they are one of the best kept secrets among tube amp players. But don't tell the Fender guys, They have no idea how much more they are paying for the Fender name !

[crying]

Thanks for all the info everyone. I was considering, Fender and Vox. I ended up with a Tech 21 Trademark TM 60/212 60W 2x12 Guitar Combo Amp. They are $745 new at GC and I scored it for $250! Heres a link to GC's page if anyone is curious. Suppoesedly this is what Les Paul was playing at his gigs in N.Y.C.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Tech-21-Trademark-TM-60-212-60W-2x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp-481114-i1175929.gc

Archived