Gibson Brands Forums

Performance???

Johnt

In the gig occasionally category.

I played my first gig in 1966. In the 70s I divided my time between a Chuck Berry-esque journeyman rock band, an acoustic blues band, and teaching guitar and fiddle (and often sweeping the floor) at a very trendy little art center. After a steady diet of Fender electrics and Gibson acoustics for some 15 years, I pretty much pulled the plug (so to speak). Still got me a bad case bandophobia. Don't get me wrong, I loved the folks I played with. Somewhere along the way it just stopped being fun.

What I do enjoy is backup work and some sitting in - usually with folk or blues singers.

I mostly play at home or our cabin or at parties on friends decks but I do have one long standing gig that I play every year. A group of "Hockey Dads" from our youth association get's together and plays at our parents only party every year. I have been doing that for about 10 years and have another few to go before the last of my 4 kids get's into high school and out of youth hockey. For most of us dads it is the only gig we have but it is always a blast and the Hockey mom's all love us like rock stars when done. Hell, they even through bra's at us last year!! Woo Hoo!!!

I also played in a Christian Contemporary band for several years at our church but due to a dramatic switch in the music and players after a new head pastor came, I decided to step back for awhile and just play at special services now like Christmas and Easter.

I also played in a Christian Contemporary band for several years at our church but due to a dramatic switch in the music and players after a new head pastor came' date=' I decided to step back for awhile and just play at special services now like Christmas and Easter. [/quote']

Yes Paul

I did that for a while too. I used to really enjoy both going to church and the music.

But they didn't enjoy my "fall from grace" that is my divorce.

Didn't excatly get drummed out of the brownies but when the vicars wife crosses the road in front of you to avoid you yo kind of get the feeling that you = cats yack!

Yes Paul

I did that for a while too. I used to really enjoy both going to church and the music.

But they didn't enjoy my "fall from grace" that is my divorce.

Didn't excatly get drummed out of the brownies but when the vicars wife crosses the road in front of you to avoid you yo kind of get the feeling that you = cats yack!

wow. huge lyric alert here. thanks for sharing, JT.

I'm in the occasional gig category.

In my teens I was in varoius bands. Post punk alt, Christian rock, Americana. Then got a proper job (Lion Taming) got married, had kids etc... didn't pick up a guitar in 15+years.

Now have lessons and gig occasionally with Robbie Gladwell who has totally transformed my guitar playing life. We do covers - Eagles, Beatles, Paul Weller, Crowded House etc and have a real laugh. I've started doing some duets with a friend of mine in the village who has a sweet voice. We did our local beer festival a few weeks back.

I'd consider myself to have a good ear so will hear something and want to learn it right away - with varying results of course.

In my teens I was in varoius bands. Post punk alt' date=' Christian rock, Americana. Then got a proper job (Lion Taming) got married, had kids etc... didn't pick up a guitar in 15+years.

Now have lessons and gig occasionally with Robbie Gladwell who has totally transformed my guitar playing life. We do covers - Eagles, Beatles, Paul Weller, Crowded House etc and have a real laugh. I've started doing some duets with a friend of mine in the village who has a sweet voice. We did our local beer festival a few weeks back.

I'd consider myself to have a good ear so will hear something and want to learn it right away - with varying results of course.[/quote']

Ok when is yours and Robbies next gig?

Sharon and I will try to come up

She's always had a thing about "butch Chartered Accountants" "nudge nudge"

and she doesn't come from Purley.

Enjoy Bulgaria stay off the red it tastes too good to refuse!

BR

John

In my teens I was in varoius bands. Post punk alt' date=' Christian rock, Americana. Then got a proper job (Lion Taming) got married, had kids etc... didn't pick up a guitar in 15+years.

[/quote']

very funny, mr lion tamer! and now for something completely different...

the larch

LarixkaempferiJapaneseLarch12-11-07.jpg

sorry. i've been dying to do that.

Ok when is yours and Robbies next gig?

Sharon and I will try to come up

She's always had a thing about "butch Chartered Accountants" "nudge nudge"

and she doesn't come from Purley.

Enjoy Bulgaria stay off the red it tastes too good to refuse!

BR

John

Will advise on next gig. We have one on 4 Oct at a mate's 50th for which I am cutting short my firm's annual director's conference in Portugal. Gig takes priority over discussing new and exciting ways of taming lions using double entry bookkeeping.

" Simba! You sit there on the left..........Mufasa! you on the right!" Chucking a weighty sales ledger at the blighters usually does the trick for me.

As for the Bulgarian red...........for laying down and avoiding.

A week with no guitars. Never mind!

very funny' date=' mr lion tamer! and now for something completely different...

the larch

sorry. i've been dying to do that.[/quote']

Nice one Cunk. Love it.

P.S. How do you get 2 quotes in a reply so I don't have to post twice?

I'm definitely at the bottom of the choices.

Larchtop? Woooo.....

The headblock and tailblock of the Gretsch style hollowbody I built are made of Larch, 'cept we call it Tamarack. I built a wooden body for a POS Dodge pickup a few years ago and bought a bunch of rough Tamarack for it. The screws and lag bolts went in fine because it was soaking wet, but once it dried.....Yowzah! Just like carving granite. I had some left over and decided to use a small piece for the blocks. Wow, did that dull the tools.

look for shops! you never know what you'll find! and' date=' maybe more importantly, you'll give us something to talk about. [/quote']

Oh yeah Albertjohn just walks down main street Sofia and bump in to "Vladimir's guitar dungeon".

VGDs has long been a source of vintage guitars purloined by retreating soldiers in WW2.

Typically a '38 Super 400 retails at 100 Lev (which is approx 80.30774 US Dollars)

He should have no trouble securing a TAYLOR K65-CE 12-STRING GUITAR & CASE for approx 80 Lev.

Whilst selecting the instrument of his choice AJ may listen to the latest rave group from Bulgaria

Antibiotika

NYAMA KAK

I think not cunk, I think not!

BR

J

I spent my teens and twenties in various Hard Rock & Metal bands. Usualy making just enough money to pay the bar tab. When I hit 30 I decided to gave it all up and work for a living. Now, playing guitar is more like therapy. I can play all night and the next day I get to work on time and without a hangover.

Archived