Gibson Brands Forums

Your choice

Silenced Fred

My dream set up for when I start playing shows... A Tweed Blues Junior cranked for dirty, a Deluxe Reverb for cleans. Run a 339 or a tele through that. tell me I need pedals...

If you had that rig, you would not need a single pedal.

...Then again, I struggle to believe that anyone would need pedals. Ever.

For me it's my SG (or a Strat-style guitar--at the moment I'm very enamored with the G&L Comanche) through a wah pedal (because I like wah-wah) and into a Marshall 2061x. To be honest nothing I play really calls for those "shimmery, crystal-clean" kind of tones that everyone seems to be so enamored by. I like them too, but I prefer my clean tones to still be a little chewy--hence the preference for Bassman-style circuits.

If you had that rig, you would not need a single pedal.

...Then again, I struggle to believe that anyone would need pedals. Ever.

For me it's my SG (or a Strat-style guitar--at the moment I'm very enamored with the G&L Comanche) through a wah pedal (because I like wah-wah) and into a Marshall 2061x. To be honest nothing I play really calls for those "shimmery, crystal-clean" kind of tones that everyone seems to be so enamored by. I like them too, but I prefer my clean tones to still be a little chewy--hence the preference for Bassman-style circuits.

I like my Distortion +, my fuzz, the Classic Overdrive, etc. But really the only pedal I "need" is a fuzz, everything else is just the amp. Classic Overdrive is great for fattening up the tone though.

I have been craving a tele (with a really hot bridge pickup to push the amp like a mack truck)

If you are talking silver face Fenders like the Pro Reverb or a made in USA 4x10 Deville, yeah. Any of the newer Fenders like my mid 90s Deluxe Reverb reissue? Don't make me laugh. I would trade my DRRI for an AC15 any day. Offer me an AC30 and I'll roll around on broken glass for it. Tonal heaven. Fender wishes it still made amps like the AC30.

Well they're different but not really apples and oranges different. More like apples and pairs. I have to say both.

Obviously I love VOX. My ac30 sounds great. I can get some really cool tones out of it and it's great for my style.

I have also always been enfatuated with surfy guitar tone and reverb so I love Fender too. I would kill for a vintage Twin Reverb.

I really have mastered my ac30 though. I can get a really wide range of excellent tones. It's a really stylish amp.

I'd probably choose a Fender.

The only amp I've owned for the last 30 years is my 2x12 Music Man which is, in essence, a re-badged Twin-Reverb* and it does everything I need.

I've played lots of nice things over the years and think I'd be happy with pretty much anything decent, really.

* (Yes I do know it's not really the same, thank-you. lol!)

If you are talking silver face Fenders like the Pro Reverb or a made in USA 4x10 Deville, yeah. Any of the newer Fenders like my mid 90s Deluxe Reverb reissue? Don't make me laugh. I would trade my DRRI for an AC15 any day. Offer me an AC30 and I'll roll around on broken glass for it. Tonal heaven. Fender wishes it still made amps like the AC30.

I hate the Hot Rod series stuff... I'm telling you man, go to midwest buy and sell, and try out that Chicago Amps Deluxe Reverb. For cleans, I can't find anything better.

And I'm pretty sure you could trade your DRRI for an AC15... any day. I see those used all the time for like 800, AC15s for like 400 used

I hate the Hot Rod series stuff... I'm telling you man, go to midwest buy and sell, and try out that Chicago Amps Deluxe Reverb. For cleans, I can't find anything better.

I hear you, but it's apples and oranges. You cannot compare a hand built, hand wired beauty to some factory produced noise maker. I am going to try to clean up my DRRI with a new speaker. The Eminence wet rag they put in these isn't fit for a $10 solid state amp. Maybe that will help.

I hear you, but it's apples and oranges. You cannot compare a hand built, hand wired beauty to some factory produced noise maker. I am going to try to clean up my DRRI with a new speaker. The Eminence wet rag they put in these isn't fit for a $10 solid state amp. Maybe that will help.

Jensen. end o story

My first amp was a Fender Pro Reverb. Only bad thing about it was it only had a clean channel and no master volume.

Master volume is the work of zombies. You don't need it. Just crank the channel's volume and you'll be OK.

Archived