Gibson Brands Forums

Country music

Silenced Fred

Starting to listen to a ton of it. Not necessarily for the musical ability (some of it yes) but all the music I listen to is about the bad stuff in life (blues, rock, etc) everything is "lost your girlfriend, wife is cheating on you, have a drug or alcohol habit, things don't go your way, etc) and country is all about "beer in hand, hot girls, good food".

Just thinking out loud.

Zac Brown Band is pretty good, nothing special musically, but I like their stuff.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my opinion, most country is WAY more depressing than rock, blues, etc. I do dig some country, mostly older stuff, in my neck of the woods you have to.

Zac Brown is pretty good, though, for the most part I hate newer country.

Here's some of the country I like [thumbup] (Though back then I think they called it "Country and Western")

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dXR5Dk8YNw[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9coh7mBHwr4[/YOUTUBE]

Yep.

And though not a bluegrass fan, Alison Krauss caught my attention.

Jerry Douglas and his Dobro - shivers up the spine!!!!

I grew up as an abused child - I was exposed to WAY too much country music.

Even though it's NOT my first choice, I have to say there's some good stuff to be found.

Spent 15 of the last 25 years in Texas, surrounded by it, so I still know an act or two.

I saw Vince Gill 15 years ago under duress.

Turned out to be an excellent show.

Played all of his own leads, used three different guitars for the whole show.

Tuned his own guitar between songs as he bantered with the audience.

He was a studio pro and song writer before he gained fame for himself and it shows.

Don't put too much stock into "today's country" since it's more pop. Most of it truly sucks.

Think of Vanilla Ice being a rap icon, or Britney Spears being a soulful torch singer.

Yeah, right...

Jennings, Coe, and others are a good place to look.

Cash, Haggard, heck go all the way back to Hank and work your way forward.

Country evolved just like rock did, it pays to learn the landmarks along the way.

And country will teach you to play a Tele like a mad man.

Low pickup output, clean amp cranked to expose every squeak or flubbed note - you'll learn to PLAY.

So that's why you're looking for a tele! :) It's a phase - and a lot of the new country sounds more like old rock than old country. I listen to it every now and then. Brad Paisley is a great guitar player if a bit overplayed sometimes.

Not just that, I love the Tele for blues. I just started listening to country whilst driving to college... Zac Brown has some good stuff, Brad Paisley is pretty good. Not to get all into it, I need brighter music in my life right now, rough patch, blah blah blah.

It's good stuff though, just livin' life as it should be lived

Here's a song I'm working on, just a taste of what it is

Country-ish song

Only Hank and George Jones were allowed to be played in our house.

Everything else was considered (RACIAL EPITHET) music.

So we fought back with Nazareth's Hair of the Dog, Kiss, BTO, Rush, etc....

Hee Haw was a weekly EVENT, never missed.

Girls were beautiful, but the Stupid Act reminded me of all my cousins in East Texas.

Dumb.

Yeah, therapy is a good idea....

Only Hank and George Jones were allowed to be played in our house.

Everything else was considered (RACIAL EPITHET) music.

So we fought back with Nazareth's Hair of the Dog, Kiss, BTO, Rush, etc....

Hee Haw was a weekly EVENT, never missed.

Girls were beautiful, but the Stupid Act reminded me of all my cousins in East Texas.

Dumb.

Yeah, therapy is a good idea....

Yes, we did the weekly Hee Haw ritual as well. As least we got to see Roy Clark throw some good ones down. B)

"Country Music." Well, I always liked the "music," itself, as "Rock & Roll," is really just

Blues 1,4,5 structure, with a "Country" back-beat, more often than not. However...some

unfortunate life experiences, growning up here, in "God's Country," soured me on it, for

a long time. I'm past that, now...but, it took a lot of time, to get back to it. Lyrically,

and/or subject wise, it's certainly no worse, than a lot of pop, rock, or blues music. And,

there are some amazing "pickers," some of whom have already been noted.

CB

Hah!

Roy was a MONSTER!

My stepdad didn't like him, thought he was too flashy and showy.

So, I'm seeing Clark fly around the fretboard and play several instruments.

Then I contrast that with Porter Waggoner and Buck Owens.

All hat and no cattle to use a stereotype.

Give me playing skill over red/white/blue guitars and cowboy costumes.

Some new country is ok, most is pop junk. I like the red dirt stuff for the most part. Classic is cool with me (Cash, Coe and the like). Hank III is trying to move county in a new/old direction I like but Nashville is gonna bleed the pop country cash cow dry before they will ever let that happen.

I've listened to a good amount of country music in my life--the first Hank, Waylon Jennings, Willie, Dwight Yoakam (I love his voice,) Lyle Lovett, Loggins And Messina, the great Bob Wills, the Merles (Travis and Haggard,) Light Crust Doughboys, Vince Gill, Gram Parsons, and all the way back to Spade Cooley etc. I find it hard to believe that anyone could or would classify country as strictly or categorically "happy music." You listen to "$1,000 Wedding," "Silver Wings" or "Sweet Mental Revenge," and tell me that country is "happy." Country has themes and subjects that range as wide as any other genre of music. What's important, more than the subjects specifically, is that it's about life. Really good country music has the same effect as a really good novel--it grabs you by the mind and puts you into a place separate from your own experience. Doesn't matter whether it's a song about a divorce or a song about "beer in hand, hot girls, and good food." (?)

I've listened to a good amount of country music in my life--the first Hank, Waylon Jennings, Willie, Dwight Yoakam (I love his voice,) Lyle Lovett, Loggins And Messina, the great Bob Wills, the Merles (Travis and Haggard,) Light Crust Doughboys, Vince Gill, Gram Parsons, and all the way back to Spade Cooley etc. I find it hard to believe that anyone could or would classify country as strictly or categorically "happy music." You listen to "$1,000 Wedding," "Silver Wings" or "Sweet Mental Revenge," and tell me that country is "happy." Country has themes and subjects that range as wide as any other genre of music. What's important, more than the subjects specifically, is that it's about life. Really good country music has the same effect as a really good novel--it grabs you by the mind and puts you into a place separate from your own experience. Doesn't matter whether it's a song about a divorce or a song about "beer in hand, hot girls, and good food." (?)

Dude, it's the Internet. Chill out. Listen to country music on the radio and it's all happy stuff. I like it. God damn

Archived