Gibson Brands Forums

Cleanliness of guitars

bobrollar

I just dry wipe them after playing them, I've never "polished" a guitar. Sometimes I clean and oil the fret board, but that is the extent. I don't beat you guitars up, but life's too short to worry about polishing them all the time. To each their own. :)

I wipe my strings off and I polish after gigs (the guitars I mean). I like the character “scrapes and such” my playing gives my guitars, they are good 10 footers (look good from a distance) I don’t beat them (guitars I mean again) but I don’t baby them either.

I banged the headstock on an overhead beam and part of the finish chipped off.....

Handling accidents are responsible for 90% of the damage.

Play it, wipe it down, put it away.

If it has pick scratches from playing, the frets are a bit worn, I'm okay with that.

The more you carry it around, take it in and out of the case, lay it on your lap for cleaning, etc....

Problems - and for no good reason.

Handling accidents are responsible for 90% of the damage.

Play it, wipe it down, put it away.

If it has pick scratches from playing, the frets are a bit worn, I'm okay with that.

The more you carry it around, take it in and out of the case, lay it on your lap for cleaning, etc....

Problems - and for no good reason.

Ain't that the truth.

All my guitars have wear and dings and some spots of missing finish, but that doesn't mean they have to look like they got chucked in a wood chipper.

I clean them up when I change strings or do action adjustments/fret cleaning.

Look at the Hammers and SG that Glen Tipton of Judas Priest plays, he's been gigging those guitars for years, they still look good.

I have no issues with my "expensive guitars" getting battle scars, but I don't go out of my way to put them there just so they can look "cool" or whatever.

Would you do that with your car?

Good analogy.

Both my trucks have over 150,000 miles on them.

Everything works, and dings are hard to find - even on the 4x4 that has seen some ugly trails.

1111796057_2443eac5aa.jpg

1111797711_062e24188d.jpg

Where's the grass Neo? I like that, I have for years threatened my wife that I'm going to spray roundup on my lawn so I can forget grass cutting!

That's a friend's house, but my front yard has the same rock - with more plants and trees.

Typical Phoenix-area front lawn since grass is so expensive to maintain.

Most people have grass only in the back so all the neighborhood dogs don't soil your "oasis" en masse.

I'm far from a clean freak when it comes to my guitars....my most commonly used axes are hanging on the wall and gather some dust....it doesn't bother much too much unless it affects the sound....which mostly, it doesn't.

I change my strings often (sound) but yeah, i tend not to polish my guitar...i play it. :)

Mine are generally caked in sweat and smell like things that are smoked when you're in a band that smokes a lot of weed.

msp_lol.gifmsp_lol.gifmsp_lol.gif

SO True, that and I am NOT a big fan of shiny/pretty, form follows function.

Mines kept operationally clean and serviceable. it's 95% free of factory finish, who in their right mind uses a solid finish color on a beautiful piece of mahogany anyway?.......sheeesh.eusa_wall.gif

I would how ever, if I ever purchased a ltd run or custom piece would keep it OG for investment value.

But where is the fun in that?

Archived