Gibson Brands Forums

Talked to Billy Gibbons' guitar tech

cdntac

I was able to speak with Elwood Francis, Billy Gibbons' guitar tech before tonight's ZZ Top show. Gibbons' playing amazes me but that's a whole 'nother story....

Elwood told me that Gibbons' uses 7-gauge strings. Talk about light! I had read that he uses light strings but wow! That's light!

He sets the action pretty low --- all by feel --- and there's likely some buzzing though he doesn't know for sure since he's never played them acoustically (always plugged in). He commented that John Bolin slots the nuts quite low, hence his reason to suspect that there likely is some buzzing. The Explorer-style guitar that Gibbons is currently using for "Just Got Paid" has the action a bit higher since a slide is being used.

The necks are set dead straight. He said (as he laughed) "There's no tension with those strings so the neck is going to be dead straight!"

Gibbons' guitars are modded by Bolin. Though they make originally be Gretsch or Gibson, Bolin mods them (didn't say what specifically but said Gibbons' likes very light guitars).

Effects? Dunno....couldn't get an answer to that.

Mostly on electrics I've been using 9-42 - preferably Elixirs...

But on that old Guild SG-type, I've used 8-38 since I bought it over 35 years ago.

The problem with the reeeeeally light strings - never played 7s, sheesh! - is that you reeeeally have to be right on with chords or it's way too easy to bend when you don't want to. That's even the case with the 8s. The 9s seem a lot easier for that not to happen - although I'll wager that on a longer "F" type neck it might be.

m

Archived