Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Acoustic Releases three Limited Edition John Lennon Models

onewilyfool

Yep. I saw that a day or two ago from a Gibby email - http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/Round-Shoulder/Gibson-Acoustic/70th-Anniversary-John-Lennon-J-160E.aspx

Did you get a load of those prices? [blink]

J-160E VS burst - $4.7K

J-160E Imagine all white - $10.7K

J-160E Museum natural with Lennon doodles - $15K

Can't they tell the difference between a guitar and a piano (or a Rolls). Don't think J.L. ever painted his 160 white, but I do remember seeing him with a Diddley-like box shaped acoustic a'la the the one in 'the ugly guit. of the week'. In fact it could have been around the Imagine album.

Gibson seems to reissue the "Lennon" J160e every six months. You'd think they'd actually make ONE that is an authentic reissue. The couldn't even get his Birthday right. October 7??? Hello? :blink: And the pricing is outrageous! You can get a real '57 J160e for half the price AND it will come with a ceramic saddle. Sheesh. Even the pickguard is wrong... again.

Gibson’s Acoustic division in Bozeman, Montana is thrilled to introduce to you a line of three new John Lennon Limited Edition Guitars. October 7th would have marked John’s 70th birthday and, at the request of Yoko Ono, Gibson will commemorate his life with these three exceptional guitars.

They make them because they will sell them. There are guitar players/collectors that have money to burn......literally. They'll sell 'em regardless of price. Like the "Call Now!" ads we see on TV, some folks can't resist things like this.

I dunno Buc, I'd be surprised if they can unload all those guitars at those prices. $15 for the 'Peace' model that isn't even a replica? [unsure]

Doesn't Gibson make a J-160 with solid woods???? I thought I saw one at Guitar Showcase in San Jose.....hmmmm......Kind of like a J-45 with a neck pickup?

The J-160E Standard has a solid top, x bracing, and a fixed bridge. It's a modern take on the laminated J-160E, designed to sound better as an acoustic. The Standard was first introduced by Bozeman in the '90s. There was never a Kalamazoo J160E with those specs.

The aformentioned new Lennon-inspired models, previous similar editions (like the currently available J160E Peace), and any '60s spec reissues have laminated tops, ladder bracing, and adjustable bridges, the way they were built in the day. These are more electric than acoustic guitars, as both the laminated top/ladder bracing and the nickel strings you need to best make the P90 pick up work hinder purely acoustic performance (arguably, you can say the same about the adjustable bridge, too).

Even though the J-160E Standard looks like a J-45 with knobs, it sounds somewhat different from current production J-45's. The J-160E Standard has 15 frets clear of the body to the J-45's 14, which means the bridge and bracing is all shifted further toward the soundhole and away from the meaty part of the soundboard, which results in a less rich and more percussive tone.

Red 333

• 3 weeks later...

Archived