Gibson Brands Forums

Worst Lyrics

freak show

There are about a dozen words to this top "rock" hit from 1960.

The kids loved it because it was mushy and was a slow song the girls liked and the boys liked the girls so they danced ... very close.

Why not.

As for "Hound Dog," it can be taken literally or as a metaphor. Take your pick. Never cared much for it myself.

There have been schmaltzy lyrics through "pop" and "folk" music history. Funny thing is some have half decent tunes. Some are fun simply 'cuz they're schmaltzy. I happen to like "Three Little Fishies" 'cuz Dad sang it when I was little. Ditto Mairzy Doats.

Orbison, IMHO, got better when he started doing more his own stuff his own way and created pretty much his own genre of "Orbison rock" nobody else has matched regardless of vocal range. Pretty Woman is a classic, of course. Blue Bayou... Runnin' Scared is a classic simply because it has a guy admitting he's afraid of losing his girlfriend - kinda anti-macho. Musically they're as unique as the lyric.

m

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hound Dog is a song about useless men hanging around a woman's house.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_nNNIYTy9g

Elvis did it after Big Mama.

[blush]

You know, you're absolutely right. I stand corrected. That songs makes total sense, now that you've told me what it's about! Thanks.

On the other hand, now that I know the song is about a no-good guy who mistreats his woman, it doesn't seem like the right subject matter for Elvis to be singing...

I don't know who is worse - STP or Bush. Might have to go with Creep by STP. That line where rhymes mouse and house? Epic.

Forward yesterday

Makes me wanna stay

What they said was real

Makes me wanna steal

Livin' under house

Guess I'm livin', I'm a mouse

All's I gots is time

Got no meaning, just a rhyme

Yup, the house-mouse rhyme is terrible! [lol]

But at least he was trying. [biggrin] To me one of the worst things about Bush lyrics is that often there's supposed to be a rhyme, and there isn't. For example:

"I am the vapor

I am the gas

You be the angel

Of everything."

I cringe every time I hear those lines...

[blink][lol][blink]

Hey Fred... Is that song with 3 words that your sister plays "Around the World" by Daft Punk?

Lol the lyrics are literally just "around the world around the world" over and over again. I think it's a pretty cool song though. Daft Punk is pretty sweet.

No lol, I actually like that song. Daft Punk is cool.

It's one of those teen heart throb singers from the 60s, makes me wanna kill myself

Nathan...

Seriously, in 30-40 years if the "60s heart throb" thing is still in your head, and you're doing your own arranging on "old standards," you might be surprised that you actually like the thing.

Been there, done that. Especially, I think, if one has a teenage "little sister" in the house during your own teen years. <grin> Yupper. Now my little sister the ballerina is a grandma. <chuckle>

You must be drunk!!! Oh! You're working on it [blink] I read your other post [cool][rolleyes]

Hahaha...yes I am drunk but I genuinely like Lady Gaga. Drunk, sober...I can't help but like her songs. Yeah, I have her albums and not ashamed to admit it. No qualms about it. If it makes you feel better, I did guitar arrangements for like 10 of her songs.

Heavy metal versions. Like some on a 7 string really using that low B where necessary. I'll post em on youtube someday due to popular demand just haven't gotten around to it. I'll have time in December. Taking a week long vacation/stay-cation.

For some reason, I'm really tempted to get a 7 string lately... listening to a lot of Deftones. I used to rag on 7 strings a lot, but they have great uses.

I have a major pet peeve of folks who just come up with random lines that rhyme that have absolutely nothing to do with anything. There are SO many, but LFO's "Summer Girls" is a perfect example.

Stayed all summer then went back home,

Macauly Culkin wasn't Home Alone

Fell deep in love,but now we ain't speaking

Michael J Fox was Alex P Keaton

Poetry...just poetry. ](*,)

WORST SONG EVER!!

I've really enjoyed reading all four (so far) pages of this thread.

Plenty to think about. On which note, some observations on some of the posts;

....... or Gilbert & Sullivan

I respectfully suggest you are missing the whole point of W. S. Gilbert's libretti if you think they are bad. He had quite a subversive wit and many of the lines sung are a critique of hypocritical 'Victorian Values' and the corrupt practices of the British governments of the time - especially certain passages in "H.M.S. Pinafore".

I love Madness, and 3 words are barely a sentence, let alone lyrics [flapper]

I love Suggs too. "One Step Beyond" is not, just to be pedantic, a sentence. There is no verb.

I'll take silly and fun over endless repetition any day.

Silly and fun makes me happy. That's why I love Fats Waller so very much.

That Barbie song by Aqua something. Ugh [thumbdn] Seriously, WTF?

You'd have a hard time persuading my 6 year-old daughter that "Barbie Girl" is anything other than wonderful.....................I know; I've tried myself!

"Different Strokes for Different Folks", I suppose.

Worst ever from Bob Dylan, IMO:

"You used to ride on the chrome horse with your diplomat, who carried on his shoulder a Siamese cat

Ain't it hard when you discovered that he really wasn't where it's at

after he took from you everything he could steal"

I'll take silly and fun over endless repetition any day. When I think of bad lyrics ACDC and Highway to Hell is what pops into my mind, that same statement repeated over and over for almost the whole song, t's like a bad ringtone that lasted three and a half minutes.

I think the most brilliant line in that song is:

"Hey mama! Look at me! I'm on my way to the promised land!"

Only old Deftones does it for me...first 2 albums ...i didn't lick much past that...:)

They had nonsense lyrics too which don't bother me...

I love the Deftones, but they're one of those bands that don't really put out solid albums. Their are three or four songs on each album that are just fantastic. I thought White Pony was great, but Minerva is probably my favorite Deftones tune.

Archived