Gibson Brands Forums

Great solos from not-so-well-known tunes.

rocketman

Where do I start?

Don't Let Me Down by Bad Company. A real simple kinda sloppy solo. The bends are just a touch flat but sound like they're screaming to get up to pitch. Mick Ralphs is a true unsung hero

Blinded By The Light by Manfred Mann. I like the use of the wah and that far away sound that comes and goes. Well constructed solo

Down Payment Blues by AC/DC. Can't explain, I just love it,

Ballad Of TV Violence by Cheap Trick. One simple lick repeated over and over and over. It could have gone on for another minute. Tricks first album is amazing. Unpolished and rough edged.

Xanandu by Rush. It seems to be the perfect end to that song.

Rikki Don't Lose That Number by Steely Dan. Maybe this doesn't fit here cause you expect great solos from them, but it's real tasty and well put together.

I'm sure I'm missing a few more

Jaxson, Jose Feliciano was/is an amazing guitarist. It's cool that you brought him up. He did "flight of the bumble bee" in the 60's and played amazing classical guitar pieces (shown on YouTube). He was sadly not recognized as a great player b/c Hendrix, Page, etc, took the limelight. That certainly didn't mean he wasn't. He's blind and can also sing. Too bad he's recognized more as "the guy who sings 'feliz navidad'".

Jaxson, Jose Feliciano was/is an amazing guitarist. It's cool that you brought him up. He did "flight of the bumble bee" in the 60's and played amazing classical guitar pieces (shown on YouTube). He was sadly not recognized as a great player b/c Hendrix, Page, etc, took the limelight. That certainly didn't mean he wasn't. He's blind and can also sing. Too bad he's recognized more as "the guy who sings 'feliz navidad'".

I agree, he is one of the best, and deserves to be recognized.

I have always thought that J. Mascis from Dinosaur Jr. did some awesome solos. He really gets a lot of feeling into his playing, sort of similar to a "modern David Gilmour" in my opinion.

The sound quality of this is unfortunately very bad. The solo begins around 4:04...

I always thought early Jr had a Neil Young sound

Bad Company.

Mick Ralphs is a true unsung hero

Down Payment Blues by AC/DC. Can't explain, I just love it,

Rikki Don't Lose That Number by Steely Dan.

Damn straight Rocky!

[thumbup] B)

Honestly, I was never really a Steely Dan fan but I always loved that clear, precise Strat work on Rikki.

Archived