Gibson Brands Forums

Okay, Gibson gets to take a bit of a break...

NeoConMan

Paul Reed Smith has been Gibson's nemesis for 25 years now, all the way to the US Supreme Court.

It's no secret whose sales PRS has been taking, in addition to creating plenty of high-end customer/collectors out of thin air.

Fender has luckily been on the sidelines watching the blood bath, thanking God their market wasn't really sought after.

Price-wise, PRS has the Korean stuff to compete with the Strat in some segments, but it's Gibson getting the prison sex all these years.

Everything has changed with the 2011 Paul Reed Smith product line, and American Fender may get their asses handed to them now...

http://www.prsguitars.com/news/2010/092410_nf3_and_dc3.html?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletterlink&utm_content=dc3andnf3&utm_campaign=september

front.jpg

http://www.prsguitars.com/nf3/index.php

front.jpg

http://www.prsguitars.com/dc3/index.php

I much prefer a Strat to that. It's got 3 narrowfield pickups. big whoop.

If people want a Strat, they will get a Strat.

People who drop 2 grand on a Les Paul Standard will more likely be looking to get a bigger bang for their buck, especially with some of the finishes, or lack thereof, coming out of Gibson.

Fender has way better QC IMO.

Yeah, cuz NOBODY has ever made a guitar that looks kinda like a Strat before, eh?

I thought it was hilarious - Gibson sued PRS over the Singlecut that looks less like a Les Paul than a dozen other brands.

Hell, when did Gretsch start making the DuoJet, late fifties?

Guild did the BluesBird line for years up until 2003.

I think the headstock is different enough, they should be okay with the new PRS line...

[rolleyes][flapper]

Fender has way better QC IMO.

Than Gibson?

Yes, I would believe that to be a true statement.

Than PRS?

No way in hell.

But I agree with you on the player's desires.

I have a damned nice PRS Custom 24 that I ordered from the factory (and waited over two years for)...

But when I'm in the mood for a Les Paul, I grab a Les Paul.

When I'm in the mood for a Strat, I grab a Strat.

As beautifully crafted as my PRS is, it replaced nothing in my guitarsenal.

Yeah, cuz NOBODY has ever made a guitar that looks kinda like a Strat before, eh?

I thought it was hilarious - Gibson sued PRS over the Singlecut that looks less like a Les Paul than a dozen other brands.

I think the headstock is different enough, they should be okay with the new PRS line...

[rolleyes][flapper]

Theres more to it then that...dont know details but i know that there is more.

The PRS looks nice, but nothing special.

[rolleyes][flapper]

I like the cut a yer jibe, Neo. [thumbup]

Yeah, Gibson's lawsuit was completely ridiculous, but what was even more ridiculous is that Judge Haynes initially ruled in Gibson's favor.

I mean...WHAT?!

Yeah, the Les Paul is not a shape which was "sacred" or "unique" prior to 1998 and PRS' Singlecuts. It's definitely less like a Les Paul than many other guitars that had been made well before the Singlecut was first released. We all know why Gibson chose to file against PRS of all companies--because PRS is, as far as I can tell, very successful.

Y'know, Fender never sued Jackson for their Dinky and Soloist guitars--they just bought 'em out instead! =D>[lol] Ditto for Charvel, Gretsch (who doesn't make anything vaguely resembling a Fender,) Guild (who likewise didn't make guitars which even vaguely resembled Fender designs,) and...well, Fender is, in essence, the Time Warner of guitars.

Heck, maybe Fender will just buy out PRS (YEAH RIGHT!!!)! [woot]

No, not yet. I just got the new email newsletter and made this post.

I know nothing about them yet beyond the ad copy.

I think that will tell the tale about who (if anyone) get hurt over this model. If they're not competitive with F's price points, the F customer (I presume) will not give them another look.

I think they'll go cheap though - I like how they hype the "pattern regular" neck shape and the "new flat body style."

PRS is a study in marketing genius.

They make customers out of people who would have never bought the product at all if it was made by the likes of Fender or Gibson.

Hell, they're even selling exhorbitantly-priced amplifiers and acoustic guitars now.

Isn't there already a substantial boutique amp industry?

Aren't there already plenty of high-end acoustic luthiers out there?

The disparaging remarks about the "art collectors" buying PRS is true, and substantial money changes hands when they do.

I know several people with little to no playing ability who've bought a PRS guitar, because they've always wanted to learn.

Even if they never do, it's like having a Rolex or Mercedes in the "music room" next to the baby grand they can't play either.

People talk sh!t about 'em, but they're still privately owned (Ahem, Gibson & Fender...) and obviously doing something right.

... not that I'll be buying another one any time soon, but I would love to find a nice used Archtop...

Great points Neo! I remember when my son was born and some people would say "he looks like his father" while others would say "he looks like his mother." My response is that he looks like no one but himself! PRS is the same way. Why must we constantly compare them to Gibson? They sound nothing like them. I'm sure this new guitar won't sound like a Strat either.

I like the sounds of all my guitars, including the PRS. It is special to ME and that's all I care about. A lot of people are buying their guitars. All these people can't be wrong. The bottom line is that they are unique and flawless in every way. PRS continues to innovate, e.g. narrowfield pickups, without resorting to pure gadgets. Plus their marketing is the best out there. If you don't like them or like what they do, then that's fine. You can choose to not like their guitars, but you can't ignore the fact that their company is kicking some serious butt out there. I say good for them!!

Than Gibson?

Yes, I would believe that to be a true statement.

Than PRS?

No way in hell.

But I agree with you on the player's desires.

I have a damned nice PRS Custom 24 that I ordered from the factory (and waited over two years for)...

But when I'm in the mood for a Les Paul, I grab a Les Paul.

When I'm in the mood for a Strat, I grab a Strat.

As beautifully crafted as my PRS is, it replaced nothing in my guitarsenal.

Well no sh¡t ******....

Gibson QC is a monstrosity, the disparity in products that get churned out (yes, churned out is an appropriate phrase for Gibson)

I never said Fender had better QC than PRS... Strats are a ton more iconic to people than a Les Paul.

PRS makes some great stuff, but none of it is for me. Won't be getting a dime.

Lawsuits for this **** is stupid. Get over yourselves

Ehh I'd say Fender and Gibson's QC are about equal (based on my eperience at least). And like many people have said before; a Strat is much easier to build than a Les Paul.

I love my Tele. It's a well built guitar and I can't find any flaws on it. I love my SG more (personal taste) and it's also flawless (wel at least it was..)

Gibson's QC gets bashed unfaily IMO. Most of the time the "flaws" are created on the floor in GC. Your new Gibson needs a little setup straight out of the factory? That's to be expected.

These new PRS look interesting and I'd like to give them a try. Generally, I'm not crazy about PRS but there are some that I like. I'm just not big on wide necks. That's my main gripe.

Hmm, is it down Gibson night tonight? I personally dislike prs guitars. I favor Gibson. Plus santana plays a prs, so that's the deal breaker for me [biggrin]

I love Gibson guitars, I plan on purchasing quite a few more. However, I feel their QC is lacking, I have played guitars that have just downright sucked ****. And those were straight from a box from Gibson, not the floor model special.

I feel that Fender might not have a "better" QC, just more standard across the board, less disparity between a couple of guitars.

I don't like PRS guitars either. I think they make a great product, but I hate the feel of them, its too perfect.

I love Gibson guitars, I plan on purchasing quite a few more. However, I feel their QC is lacking, I have played guitars that have just downright sucked ****. And those were straight from a box from Gibson, not the floor model special.

I feel that Fender might not have a "better" QC, just more standard across the board, less disparity between a couple of guitars.

I don't like PRS guitars either. I think they make a great product, but I hate the feel of them, its too perfect.

Play and 80's PRS...you will think diffrent of em after it.

Fender is boreing now...dare i say there are other brands that make better strats and teles then they do.

Play and 80's PRS...you will think diffrent of em after it.

Fender is boreing now...dare i say there are other brands that make better strats and teles then they do.

I still have no interest.

I do like the Road Worn Strats, feels great. hate the looks, but who cares?

Teles, I would probably go with a G&L

Archived