Gibson Brands Forums

Okay, Gibson gets to take a bit of a break...

NeoConMan

Interesting posts....

The Strat is such an iconic design

It will always attract 99.99% of those

Looking for that look and sound

This PRS looks very derivative...

It may attract a relatively small niche

Market looking for something a bit different

With a quality build...and price....

I own several Gibsons and a PRS , I do find myself trading in and out of PRSs' though. I will make this statement at the risk of getting flamed... Every PRS I have purchased has been flawless off the wall, no setup required. Sadly, I cannot say the same for Gibson or Fender. I will add that, to me there is that certain something about PRS that makes Gibson my go to guitar for that tone I love.

Neo - What do you think about PRS's? I don't think I've ever played one. Not real familiar with them.

Eh, I don't know anything that hasn't already been said.

Build quality, materials, craftsmanship, playability - all second to none.

The thing that initially attracted me in the nineties was the cosmetics.

It seemed like EVERY PRS I saw looked better than ANY Gibson.

People were starting to pay stupid money for flame top Les Pauls, while PRS did it for free.

Only as I played them more did I recognize there was quality aplenty, and study their company creed.

They set out to build the best, most beautiful, highest quality guitar and sell it at a fair price.

They succeeded.

Originally, the line was limited to only a few choices;

22 fret or 24

Set neck or bolt-on

Thin or fat neck profile

How pretty/fancy did you want it?

The lines have multiplied like rabbits now, they truly have something for everybody.

I guess the biggest thing for me would reflect what RS1959 said about the narrow field pickups;

PRS doesn't do gimmicks or bullsh!t - when they introduce a new product it does what they say it will.

Play them, play as many as you can.

DEFINITELY play the hollowbodies, and an old Archtop if you can find one.

They are the ONLY guitar on the market that is, in my opinion, worth every penny.

(As much as I hate Asian imports, even their import line ain't bad at all...)

^ nice sounding guitar!

I love PRS guitars but I don't like the direction these new ones are taking. To me, it seems like PRS has successfully managed to create an their own identity and now they're just going after copying the competition...like they're just trying to make a better Strat and a better Les Paul.

As for quality, I think regular American PRS made guitars are on par with Gibson & Fender Custom Shop...if not better. Private Stock is a cut above.

Someone mentioned pricing...

SC 58 ... List $6,437 ... SAP $3,836

McCarty 58 ... List $6,437 ... SAP $3,836

Modern Eagle Quatro ... List $7,126 ... SAP $4,247

JA-15 ... List $6,782 ... SAP $4,041

NF3 and DC3 ... List $3,333 ... SAP $1,986

I just received a Sweetwater flyer offering me "first chance" at some PRS "Private Stock" SC 245 Prototype guitars.

There were 11 made, and they're asking $8K apiece for them.

Definitely "collector" material.

In looking through the collector guitars at Sweetwater, it appears that PRS dominates that market.

Amazing. I'd love to have one, but I wouldn't do it justice. At that price, I'd have to put it behind glass.

Archived