Gibson Brands Forums

nitro laquer fades a little where arm meets the body

theswede

It's called SWEAT!!! Always wipe your guitar down after playing. I always wipe down the neck, strings and the top where the arm makes contact. Gibson Pump Polish every two or three weeks will keep that shine. There are some very good cleaners on the market today also. I'm sure someone will chime in on their favorite. Take care of your Gibson and it will take care of you!!!

Yes, the nitro can and does cloud up where your forearm lays on the body. Chemical reaction thing, you know. And yes, you can wipe the guitar down after playing or polish out the haze from time to time if it bothers you. Mine does the same but I don't let it bother me.....it's just part of the wear and tear an instrument acquires as it's used. A guitar is a touchy-feely kind of thing and as such it will show wear here and there. It's the cost of doing business, if you will.

Yes, the nitro can and does cloud up where your forearm lays on the body. Chemical reaction thing, you know. And yes, you can wipe the guitar down after playing or polish out the haze from time to time if it bothers you. Mine does the same but I don't let it bother me.....it's just part of the wear and tear an instrument acquires as it's used. A guitar is a touchy-feely kind of thing and as such it will show wear here and there. It's the cost of doing business, if you will.

Same here. Not really something that concerns me too much but it does with some.

I've seen a couple of guardy type things you can attach but they do nothing for me. You can always play in a long sleeved soft cotton shirt as well, which will avoid further haze.

I think it's the case that, as the nitro really hardens off, after a couple of months or so, the problem diminishes. But that could be complete nonsense though. You say your Gibsons are new and the nitro may still be a little soft which will not help.

Cut off the toe of a white athletic sock and pull it on your arm. It's an easy way to prevent haze build up. It's a Guitar geek thing but does the trick. [biggrin]

I always play in a long sleeved shirt. I'm also beginning to like the John Pearse armrests. But if you do get the haze going on, Naptha takes it off (go gently).

Finally, Virtuoso brand cleaner and polish are the very best for cleaning, polishing and removing the haze.

Yes this happens. It's worse for some people that others as everybodys sweat is a bit different. The main thing is to avoid having insect repellant on you when you are playing as that can eat through the finish like nobodys business!

Yes this happens. It's worse for some people that others as everybodys sweat is a bit different. The main thing is to avoid having insect repellant on you when you are playing as that can eat through the finish like nobodys business!

I remember visiting Australia a few years back. Mrs AJ and I were walking somewhere with our Duty Free bags clinking away. The insect spray on our legs melted the plastic bags!

Can you guys recomend a good polish to get the shine on a vintage guitar? I tried the Gibson pump polish on my vintage '63 Country Western and its left a cloudy dull finish.... [confused]

buffed her up with a brand new Gerlitx microfibre Polish cloth to be safe but maybe I used a bit too much polish? I was thinking of trying some martin Pro Guitar polish next.

What do you guys use old your old Gibo's?

S

Can you guys recomend a good polish to get the shine on a vintage guitar? I tried the Gibson pump polish on my vintage '63 Country Western and its left a cloudy dull finish.... [confused]

buffed her up with a brand new Gerlitx microfibre Polish cloth to be safe but maybe I used a bit too much polish? I was thinking of trying some martin Pro Guitar polish next.

What do you guys use old your old Gibo's?

S

Like I said, Virtuoso cleaner and polish is the best. After you try it, you'll never go back to anything else.

P.S. That Martin polish is garbage.

Huh,...very interesting! I'll have to try that then. Hey BK - What guitars of yours do you use it on then?

:rolleyes:

I'm no lover of MARTIN but I think that's a bit harsch mate. I really can't believe that MARTIN would Licence a product and let the company use there name if it was not a very high quality product and endorsed by them....

The Martin polish I have is made by Guardsman = they've been around at least 50 years and are recognized as a quality product for expensive furniture. I use it on my 45 year old Gibby. Like any other polish - less often is better and be sure you use equal parts elbow grease.

Huh,...very interesting! I'll have to try that then. Hey BK - What guitars of yours do you use it on then?

I use Virtuoso on all my guitars: Taylor, Gibson, Goodall, Eggle, Yamaha, and others - but mostly Gibson. The Nitro finish requires more polishing than the Urethane ones. Taylors seem to like the Turtle Wax.

Generally, I use the Virtuoso Cleaner once or twice a year on my Gibsons, and I hit them once every 2 or 3 months with Virtuoso Polish. In between polishings I touch up with Gibson polish (it helps keep the neck from getting sticky, mostly).

I'm no lover of MARTIN but I think that's a bit harsch mate. I really can't believe that MARTIN would Licence a product and let the company use there name if it was not a very high quality product and endorsed by them....

My suggestion is you buy some, as I did, thinking "I really can't believe that Martin would Licence a product and let the company use there name if it was not a very high quality product," and see how it works for you. As stated above, it's furniture polish. And lousy furniture polish at that.

This is a very good read:

http://www.cumpiano.com/Home/Articles/Articles/fbrd%20oil.html

Archived