Gibson Brands Forums

IMO, Metallica are the modern day Beatles...

swleary

Sorry, dem00n....i'm gonna call you out on this one. Metal dead since 1999. You need to get out of your mom's basement....or stay there and browse the internet more. Get out of the USA Billboard bubble you are forced to be surrounded by. Metal is struggling a bit in the USA but I promise you, it is alive and well. Don't believe me? Guess how many tickets Wacken Open Air sold this yr........darn close to 80k which is a lil more than 2009. For the record, 2009 sold more than 2008, etc. Fact: In Finland, metal is mainstream. There's a documentary about it. uh oh.....I just used metal and mainstream in the same sentence? Tell the legion of die-hard Slayer fans that metal is dead. while you're at it, tell the legion of Iron Maiden Fans too.

Brian Posehn would be very disappointed.

In short, Metal WILL NOT die. The true fans love it way too much to let that happen.

Check out the documentaries "Metal: A Headbanger's Journey" and "Global Metal." You will feel better after you watch them. DOn't worry about the state of metal.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...Check out the documentaries "Metal: A Headbanger's Journey" and "Global Metal." You will feel better after you watch them. Don't worry about the state of metal.

These movies are AWESOME. I own both.

Sorry, dem00n....i'm gonna call you out on this one. Metal dead since 1999. You need to get out of your mom's basement....or stay there and browse the internet more. Get out of the USA Billboard bubble you are forced to be surrounded by. Metal is struggling a bit in the USA but I promise you, it is alive and well. Don't believe me? Guess how many tickets Wacken Open Air sold this yr........darn close to 80k which is a lil more than 2009. For the record, 2009 sold more than 2008, etc. Fact: In Finland, metal is mainstream. There's a documentary about it. uh oh.....I just used metal and mainstream in the same sentence? Tell the legion of die-hard Slayer fans that metal is dead. while you're at it, tell the legion of Iron Maiden Fans too.

Brian Posehn would be very disappointed.

In short, Metal WILL NOT die. The true fans love it way too much to let that happen.

Check out the documentaries "Metal: A Headbanger's Journey" and "Global Metal." You will feel better after you watch them. DOn't worry about the state of metal.

Metallica morfed, survived and kept themselves current in their own style, they are still carrying that flag.

People that call them sellouts are the same people that bought those millions of Creed records in the 90's.

I never saw Metallica as a sellout, if they put out the same record everytime, (like some bands do) I would call them a sellout, not risking is a sellout as well IMO excluding AC/DC that is.

Please. Metallica is the textbook definition of a sell-out. The band has been putting out nothing but crap since Justice for All. Oh yes, and I never bought any Creed records. Slayer and Manson are two metal bands that stayed true to their roots and continue to put out solid records. Metallica got their last $ out of me when they released the black album. Even Rick Ruben has said there new stuff is crap, and he produced it.

Please. Metallica is the textbook definition of a sell-out. The band has been putting out nothing but crap since Justice for All. Oh yes, and I never bought any Creed records. Slayer and Manson are two metal bands that stayed true to their roots and continue to put out solid records. Metallica got their last $ out of me when they released the black album. Even Rick Ruben has said there new stuff is crap, and he produced it.

I really don`t care what one person says or everyone for that matter. I don`t think it`s crap.

Slayer have been re-doing themselves for a long time. Not risking change is a sellout from a conformist standpoint.

When Slayer came out I bought each one of their records after the 4th album it was just 192bmp stuff. If you like it good for you, I don't

I don't see how you can say the latest Metallica record is not solid. My guess is nostalgia if you were there in the 80's or you are a young fellow like Dem00n looking from the outside in.

Too bad I already used the Skeptical Dog pic on this thread.

[citation needed]

I have a hard time believing he said that, even if it is bad.

"Personally, I don't know whether I should laugh or cry. I'm not a big Metallica fan, but to hear this much pure damage done to what was obviously originally a decent recording, in the mistaken belief that it sounds good, is hard to stomach. I'm no audio purist, but the end result on the samples I've heard is genuinely un-listenable."- Rick Ruben on the mastering of Death Magnetic.

Hard for me to buy the "as great as the Beatles" argument when the producer of their latest album describes it as "genuinely un-listenable."

If you love Metallica, good for you. Its a free country. But its hard to compare them to the Beatles when such a significant chunk of their fans abandoned them when the Black album hit shelves.

You can make metal records, or you can make records that will sell a bunch of copies. You cant do both. Many have described Slayer as releasing the same record over and over, and I must disagree. Slayer has done an album of punk covers, released thrash inspired discs, explored dropped D grinds, and super fast speed. The result is some great records, some good ones, and a few that are less than inspiring. I resent the notion that a metal band has to go limp and lame (like Metallica) to "keep it fresh."

When Load and re Load came out, I made a genuine attempt to appreciate the records for what they are, not what Metallica was when I was a kid. I listen to all kinds of music, everything from Cannibal Corpse to Dixie Chicks and Westside Connection, but found no entertaining value to either load album.

The Beatles sold a ton of albums because no one had done what they did musically before. Metallica has sold a bunch of records because they figured out the Business and how to be successful playing the game.

"Personally, I don't know whether I should laugh or cry. I'm not a big Metallica fan, but to hear this much pure damage done to what was obviously originally a decent recording, in the mistaken belief that it sounds good, is hard to stomach. I'm no audio purist, but the end result on the samples I've heard is genuinely un-listenable."- Rick Ruben on the mastering of Death Magnetic.

Thanks! And dayum! At least it wasnt Rubin or Metallica's work with Rubin that made it bad. Poor choice in a mastering engineer, apparently. I've experienced this same thing on a local level with a metal band that I do artwork for. They cut the tracks with Ben Sheigel and they sounded fantastic in their raw form. I was pretty stoked to hear it. Then it came back from mastering and it was just overpolished and unlistenable to me. Havent listened to it since. I cant even explain how bad it was. It went from raw tracks with great potential to a $15k turd.

You really think the band had any say in the Mastering of the album? Hell, even major Metallica fans hated the mastering of that album...although it doesn't seem as that has any bearing on the band themselves. Blame the record execs for the poor mastering job, not the band.

Oh please, you call this new stuff metal?

Sounds like glam metal with screaming, history repeats it self.

Sure metal may be "alive" but its long lost its status.

The day when you were in a mosh pit and you fell someone picked you up?

Those days are gone.

But what do i know im just some 16 year old. [flapper]

Exactly my point....I've been there. Recently. You like Death and seem to hate everything else. I don't mean any disrespect. You have not heard everything the world has to offer. None of us have. But like you said...you're 16 and a typical 16 yr metal head at that (some things never change). I went to school with kids like you. You are in every high school. Eventually you will come to realize you DON'T know everything (that goes for ALL high schoolers). It will take another 5 or 6 years until you figure that out. Again, that is not aimed specifically at you, dem00n.

History repeats itself as do you "it all sounds the same." [-(#-o

Seriously, a lot of the bands in the US sound alike (with a few exceptions) which is why I listen to metal from pretty much every other continent.

Damnit Scott, look what you have created!

Exactly my point....I've been there. Recently. You like Death and seem to hate everything else. I don't mean any disrespect. You have not heard everything the world has to offer. None of us have. But like you said...you're 16 and a typical 16 yr metal head at that (some things never change). I went to school with kids like you. You are in every high school. Eventually you will come to realize you DON'T know everything (that goes for ALL high schoolers). It will take another 5 or 6 years until you figure that out. Again, that is not aimed specifically at you, dem00n.

Seriously, a lot of the bands in the US sound alike (with a few exceptions) which is why I listen to metal from pretty much every other continent.

What? [blink]

You know what, i dont want to get banned again so just **** everything my posts are gone.

+1 [biggrin]

I see what I created, didn't think it would go down like this but it's good to see everyone's point of view...

I see what I created, didn't think it would go down like this but it's good to see everyone's point of view...

Naw it's cool. Good conversation and opinions until immatures wanna rant instead of just stating an opinion and giving a few facts to back it up.

I'm not a real Metal fan per se but I respect and like alot of what Metallica has done. They are hugely successful and if you're a fan and their more recent stuff doesn't move you it doesn't mean you can't still be a fan.

Being a fan means hanging in there with the good and the bad. Very few artist can maintain a high level of excellence through their whole body of work.

You really think the band had any say in the Mastering of the album? Hell, even major Metallica fans hated the mastering of that album...although it doesn't seem as that has any bearing on the band themselves. Blame the record execs for the poor mastering job, not the band.

Metallica and Ruben are both to blame as well. Yes, Metallica has plenty to say about the mastering of their album. Both parties have been around long enough to know when some engineer is butchering their tracks. Were not talking about some garage band with no studio experience here. And I doubt one of the greatest producers in rock history and a band with almost 30 years in the game would be bullied into giving an engineer complete discretion over the final cut. This is a clear case of laziness on the part of Ruben and Metallica. Sure, the engineer lives on a different planet than the rest of us, but its Metallica's name on the record. This isn't the first crappy sounding record this band has released. Listen to Justice and tell me you ever actually hear a bass guitar anywhere on that record.

Metallica and Ruben are both to blame as well. Yes, Metallica has plenty to say about the mastering of their album.

While I disagree with about 99% of what you have said in this thread, I'll give you that. I like the songs but the sound quality is lacking. <_<

dem00n, I wasn't trying to piss you off. Just trying to show you there is hope. Metal is near and dear to both of us and since you are younger, you are part of a group that has to continue to carry the torch. I will do it till the day I die. I and I have been to Amon Amarth shows recently (April 2010 to be exact) where the crowd gets nutty, some one falls, people help em get up and the chaos resumes. Don't lose the faith.

I don't think the Beatles lifted 2 albums worth of material from some sad drug addled angry dude and then left him at a bus stop.

Without Mustaine's music to get them off the ground Metallica would have made it about as far as Stryper or Testament.

If Metallica is anything, they are highly effective opportunists.

Archived