Gibson Brands Forums

Quick question about strap locks.

heymisterk

Okay, quick question about strap locks for my Les Paul...clearly I need them.

Will most of them (I have looked both at Schallers and Dunlaps) fit right into the existing screw holes? (Wow, that sounds dirty.)

Thanks!

JDK

Check out the Ernie Ball ones, never had a problem with them. Mine went in without any modifications

My dunlops went in without an issue. But if I were to do it again I might use the Schallers instead. NeoConMan put up a tutorial to install schaller straploks using Gibson's original screws by grinding the head a little. I think that the schallers are more reliable. I have no experience with Ernie Ball Straplocks.

Hi,

I've fitted both Dunlop and Schaller and found I needed to use a small infill plug of wood to get a good fit (similar to matchstick size), solid fit with screw and no problems. Feel the schaller are a more secure and easier to use straplock. Regards, Mike

I use schallers too. No mods required on my Robot LP, but I drilled out the the part the screw goes through to accept the original screw on my re-issue. Another option as mentioned is to fill the drill hole a little with hardwood to accept a smaller gauge screw.

I'm installing them on my new ES-339 tonight.

To me they are a must. I've had a few close calls and got lucky.

Dave

In just the week I have had my LP, there have been several times where it has come off the strap and nearly bounced off the ground...not good. So I am being VERY careful until I can make the mod.

Eeeek! I hate those tiny strap buttons. When I finally buy a Gibson LP, I'll make the store throw in a set of Schallers. Be careful until then! I don't want to read another "my guitar broke" thread.

I bought a strap I really like that is too thick for the straplock

GRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!

With the Schallers, pretty much EVERY strap is too thick for the locks (why they haven't added another 1/8" of thread by now is beyond me). What I do is put the lock in a vice then take a socket wrench and use that to crank down the nut which causes the leather to compress and act like a washer.

When I inquired about strap locks here a few years ago, somebody sent me a couple of Grolsch Beer Bottle Washers. They work like a charm.

grolsch_033-300x201.jpg

(not my guitar)

Sorry, I forgot who sent them to me, but whoever you are, thanks again.

Notes ♫

Never having drinken (drunk or drunken or whoever you say it) Grolsch, whats this about the bottle washers? Don't believe I've heard of this before...

Archived