Gibson Brands Forums

LP Buying Advice

BoyVader

Got the go ahead to buy a new guitar after a house sale. Really want to get a Les Paul, and am thinking of LP Traditional in HC. Any advice? The standard looks great too, but really want Kluson green tuners (yeah I know) as I think they complete the look.

Is there any major difference apart from pups?

I currently have an SG std 2009 and want the LP neck to be similiar profile....I think its quite thick...like me!!!

All feedback\advice appreciated... [thumbup]

Got the go ahead to buy a new guitar after a house sale. Really want to get a Les Paul, and am thinking of LP Traditional in HC. Any advice? The standard looks great too, but really want Kluson green tuners (yeah I know) as I think they complete the look.

Is there any major difference apart from pups?

I currently have an SG std 2009 and want the LP neck to be similiar profile....I think its quite thick...like me!!!

All feedback\advice appreciated... [thumbup]

If money isn't a huge issue, you simply can't go wrong with one of the re-issues. I prefer a slim tapered neck so I have the 1960 version. 1959 has a heavier neck but even heavier I believe are the 57 or 58.

Try a few out if there is a shop within driving distance and feel and hear for yourself.

Getting the green light is a great feeling. Been there recently as well. I went for a ES-339 semi-hollow. Already have some LP's. Love them all.

Enjoy the hunt and harvest.

Dave

Nothing wrong with a Traditional but the reissues are a cut above. Try one or two in a store and see how you like them. If you do, search for a used one because there are some great deals right now. A used R7 or R8 can be had for less than the cost of a new Traditional...and a new R7 or R8 can be purchased for the same price listed on the sticker of a new Standard. If you want a flame top, you'll pay substantially more. I suggest you read this before buying anything. http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/gibson-les-pauls/50210-gibson-les-paul-101-a.html

Nothing wrong with a Traditional but the reissues are a cut above. Try one or two in a store and see how you like them. If you do, search for a used one because there are some great deals right now. A used R7 or R8 can be had for less than the cost of a new Traditional...and a new R7 or R8 can be purchased for the same price listed on the sticker of a new Standard. If you want a flame top, you'll pay substantially more. I suggest you read this before buying anything. http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/gibson-les-pauls/50210-gibson-les-paul-101-a.html

I love my traditional and chose it over the standard due to the fact, that i prefer weight reief over chambering, and among some other minor features. ( 57's, 50's neck, etc), but as R9 stated the reissues are the elite's...I got mine for 2030$ (includ. ship.) But I've never seen a new R7 or R8 for 2600? Or are you referring to MSRP?

Gibson has a minimum advertised pricing (MAP) policy; so, you'll never actually see any authorized dealers advertise a new R7/R8 for less than the MAP...nor will any dealers put any lower price in writing if you email them. Trust me, you can buy new ones for that much if you shop around.

Gibson has a minimum advertised pricing (MAP) policy; so, you'll never actually see any authorized dealers advertise a new R7/R8 for less than the MAP...nor will any dealers put any lower price in writing if you email them. Trust me, you can buy new ones for that much if you shop around.

Well thanks for the advice! I appreciate it. [thumbup]

You're in Australia, correct? That complicates my advice a bit, as I do not know the general cost of Les Pauls down 'under' there. Can you buy from Musician's Friend there? If so, they have Traditional Plus Les Pauls for $2299.00, and they are beautiful guitars they sound and play well. Did you say you insisted on brand new? That leaves out good deals on used reissue Les Pauls. I'd skip Les Paul studios, except for the "satin' finish ones, which are $799.00 at Musician's Friend; I've got one, but it is not one of my main Les Pauls. If buying from the U.S. is really that much cheaper than buying where you are at, maybe you could arrange for one of these 'Advanced' members to choose and purchace a Les Paul for you and ship it it to you. Of course, I would not know how to go about this; maybe one who reads this can take this unusual suggestion a bit further. Maybe they'll slam me for even thinking of this as an option. They are correct that reissues are usually supurb investments - if you have and want to spend the doe. As far as pick-ups go, I prefer the '57 classics, which are dreamy and creamy, but the Burstbuckers are nice as well ( a bit like the PAFs ). Some players like the 498T/496R pick-ups which are hotter and more 'modern' sounding. I'd still recommend a Traditional Standard Plus with '57s, but that's my opinion, and there are too many Les Pauls, so little time, and never enough money. And remember, a guy may have a girl, but a guitarist will always have his pick.

Archived