Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar weight

Tim Plains

Been a while since we've had one of these threads, I think.

I took all my guitars out and threw them on the ol' digital scale today.

Gibsons:

SG Classic - 7.7 lbs

SG VOS - 7.07 lbs

LP Traditional - 8.73 lbs

'68RI Custom - 9.54 lbs

R8 - 9.3 lbs

R0 Stinger - 9.3 lbs

R0 50th - 8.9 lbs

Pearly Gates - 8.7 lbs

PRSi:

SC245 - 7.69 lbs

513 - 8.0 lbs

Custom 22 - 7.2 lbs

Custom 22 LTD - 7.36 lbs

Custom 24 - 6.78 lbs

McCarty - 7.3 lbs

Fenders:

Stratocaster - 7.96 lbs

Nocaster - 7.36 lbs

The only ones that I'm surprised at are the two Fenders. I thought for sure the Strat was around 7.5 and the Tele was an even 7.0.

Not that it matters but they both feel lighter than what they actually are.

Anyone else weigh theirs (note: the proper use of their) on a digital scale?

Been a while since we've had one of these threads, I think.

I took all my guitars out and threw them on the ol' digital scale today.

Anyone else weigh theirs (note: the proper use of their) on a digital scale?

You're right, Your Fenders, they're lighter than their counterparts over there in the Gibson corner although heavier than you thought.

My Zebrawood Forebird is really heavy, around 11 pounds. I'll have to weigh it at home tonight. I have a Tele with Ash as the main body wood and a Zebrawood laminate. It's by far the lightest guitar I own.

I think pretty much all guitars - even parlor acoustics - weigh a lot more than we perceive they do in ways. A lot of perceived weight is how we keep them attached to us when we're playing. Frankly I always felt like the Precision bass was the heaviest thing I ever played - but I doubt it's that much heavier than some of the others.

m

The last time I weighed my Les Paul I used a luggage scale. I can't remember how much it was but I believe it was 8-9 lbs.....I can't weigh it now because when I used it last time to weigh luggage the hook slipped off the handle, whacked me in the forehead, giving me a nice bruise, and the internal spring broke.

"In the day," there was a big Rick single cutaway "semi" I played that was huge and heavy. A good 12 pounds wouldn't surprise me at all.

I'm convinced straps are more important than some credit them. I've used a backpacker's strap pad that made a world of difference in terms of comfort even with a 2" leather strap on an SG. And that habit started when I was under 30 and in pretty decent shape...

m

I think it has a lot has to do with the way it is balanced with the strap as well.

I'm convinced straps are more important than some credit them. I've used a backpacker's strap pad that made a world of difference in terms of comfort even with a 2" leather strap on an SG...

I agree comletely with both posts.

As far as balance goes; this the main reason I don't get along with most Chambered Pauls. They are, for me, unbalanced and very uncomfortable to wear.

I had a lesser, but similar, problem with a LP which had a set of Grover tuners. The extra weight over a set of Klusons was enough - positioned as they were - to allow the neck to head floor-ward.

And the importance to me of wide straps; Since the late '70s I've used the same strap for my #1 guitar. It's 2 1/2" wide and very soft. It is the most comfortable strap I've found.

Two of my other 3 LP straps are also 2 1/2" wide and the last one is 2" wide (used on the lightest instrument . It was the widest they had in the shop when I bought the guitar).

Due to the load-spread I've never experienced any fatigue even over a 2 1/2 hour set - albeit with a break or two.

Wide straps are, for me anyway, essential.

P.

Archived