Gibson Brands Forums

Any opinion on a Mexican-made Tele?

heymisterk

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks nice. You can always slap some good pups in later. I'm a big fan of the RS Guitarworks kits too. Generally the stock electronics parts in those guitars are pretty bad. It's a little more dough than buying the pots, caps, switches, etc separately, but you can slap them in a a couple minutes!

http://store.rsguitarworks.net/PWVINTTELEKI.html

Thanks Surf, that's a great price for an upgrade!

Actually I posted the wrong stock pic. The one I bought has a maple neck.

Interested to hear how you like it. Since mine is rosewood, I am thinking I need another one with a maple board. Might go the Mex route and upgrade it or might make a partser.

Interested to hear how you like it. Since mine is rosewood, I am thinking I need another one with a maple board. Might go the Mex route and upgrade it or might make a partser.

Surf,

I'll let you for sure.

Now's the hard part, telling my wife I bought another guitar.

Perhaps I can declare it an early Christmas gift. :-k

Heymisterk,

How long till the bidding ends?

Not a valid comparison.

Mexican guitars share many parts with American pieces, lotsa parts commonality.

American versus Squire?

No contest there, Squire is comparable to most Epiphones if that's what you're after.

I would compare Mexican Fenders to Japanese Gibsons and Fenders in many cases.

Close anyway.

A plus for you.

To the guy who compared MIM Fenders to Chinese Epis:

Go play a bunch of them, and then tell us what you think.

Well, since you already got one, no need for me to add but, I love mine...MIM Teles are better than squires.....Lots of good responses...Suveryor says he's gonna get a white one for his collection; me too.....Love Teles, but I'm on a small budget so I had to go with MIM.....Of course, any more Gibbies will be real re-issues.......Congrats Big Bill; interesting color; Love that Cookieman Strat...

Opps!! This a Heymisterk thread !!! .....Seems like the concensus favors the MIM Tele, good luck with your choice...Will be many sales this season, you should be able to get one for a song (pun intended) !!!

2 days left and 13 bids already? Early bids drive the price up....if i buy stuff on ebay i wait til the last day to start bidding...it doesn't always work but i've gotten some good deals that way.

Good luck - purdy guitar!!

2 days left and 13 bids already? Early bids drive the price up....if i buy stuff on ebay i wait til the last day to start bidding...it doesn't always work but i've gotten some good deals that way.

Good luck - purdy guitar!!

You are probably right; I should have waited. I don't ebay much so don't always know the unwritten rules.

MIM Teles are better than MIM squires.....

Squires are NOT made in Mexico.

I first changed my mind about Mexican Fenders when I started running into guys playing them at gigs.

Not bar bands, but professional recording artists.

Even guys with Fender endorsement deals were using them so the American ones could stay home.

MIM Tele or Strat is a great place to start if you wanna mod it or hot-rod it.

Parts commonality makes it a snap.

Fender's Ensenada plant has grown HUGE, and they make all kinds of stuff there now.

The only real quality issue for me is electronics, but some of the parts are identical to American Fenders.

May be fine, and if not it's usually a brain-dead easy fix.

Buy a Squire (or Pacific Rim Epiphone) and you'll find that NONE of the parts interchange with American guitars.

They might as well be Chinese counterfeits, regardless of whose name is on the headstock.

Archived