Gibson Brands Forums

Any opinion on a Mexican-made Tele?

heymisterk

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Squires are NOT made in Mexico.

I first changed my mind about Mexican Fenders when I started running into guys playing them at gigs.

Not bar bands, but professional recording artists.

Even guys with Fender endorsement deals were using them so the American ones could stay home.

MIM Tele or Strat is a great place to start if you wanna mod it or hot-rod it.

Parts commonality makes it a snap.

Fender's Ensenada plant has grown HUGE, and they make all kinds of stuff there now.

The only real quality issue for me is electronics, but some of the parts are identical to American Fenders.

May be fine, and if not it's usually a brain-dead easy fix.

Buy a Squire (or Pacific Rim Epiphone) and you'll find that NONE of the parts interchange with American guitars.

They might as well be Chinese counterfeits, regardless of whose name is on the headstock.

Yes, you are correct NeoConMan...I stand (well, sit) corrected.....Your accuracy is always right on, and I agree with all of the above...Thankyou....

OOPS !!! I did say MIM Squires !!! My bad..I know they aren't !!!!

Teles are awesome and the MIM ones are close to the MIA and occasionally better in my experience.

I'm not sure about what that guy is saying about the Cali plant shutting down and moving all operations to Mexico for a period of time. Fender did do this with Japan. Maybe the seller is confused? Maybe he's right I don't know.

What's important is the guitar.

If you don't win this auction I'd recommend craigslist. There are usually quite a few MIM Teles up for sale at great prices on there (at least in my area) and you can try before you buy. You can get a better deal and haggle on CL. I got my Tele on CL.

I'm not sure about what that guy is saying about the Cali plant shutting down and moving all operations to Mexico

Huh?

[blink]

Must be true if you saw it on the internet, eh?

[-(

Fender did do this with Japan

Because they did not have an American Factory - at all.

When CBS sold the company, the buildings did not go with the deal.

Fender was a guitar company with absolutely no American production facilities.

While they got a new building lined out and fixtures in place to restart production, Japan filled the gap.

Most of calender 1985 if I recall.

Maybe the seller is confused?

THAT would be the truth, near as I can tell.

[thumbup]

You want first-rate guitars with zero problems?

Buy American, and it's a done deal.

Wanna save a few bucks and have nearly the same guitar?

Buy Mexican, and you'll get many similar (or the same) quality pieces.

Any electrical issues (unlikely) will be cheap to fix.

I haven't looked at any new ones in a couple years, so I can't speak with authority.

However, I know two Fender dealers very well, and they say the price difference is fair.

Pay more, get more. Save a few bucks and you can mod it to your heart's content.

You are probably right; I should have waited. I don't ebay much so don't always know the unwritten rules.

It's best to not even bid until the last second, just cascade browser tabs and use one tab to refresh to watch the current bid and keep the timer current and once you get down to about 3-4 seconds click over to your next tab with your bid already laid out in the field and click accept.

It's best to not even bid until the last second, just cascade browser tabs and use one tab to refresh to watch the current bid and keep the timer curent and once you get down to about 3-4 seconds click over to your next tab with your bid already laid out in the field and click accept.

Good advice as always from you. I just asked my girlfriend what you meant and I now understand it...Thanks

It's best to not even bid until the last second, just cascade browser tabs and use one tab to refresh to watch the current bid and keep the timer curent and once you get down to about 3-4 seconds click over to your next tab with your bid already laid out in the field and click accept.

Yup...i know some guys who use a Sniping Service...which puts your bid in at the very last second. It's no guarantee though as others may be using them as well...but it could be worth it. I don't buy enough on eBay to pay for a sniping service though.

Yup...i know some guys who use a Sniping Service...which puts your bid in at the very last second. It's no guarantee though as others may be using them as well...but it could be worth it. I don't buy enough on eBay to pay for a sniping service though.

Yeah I lost out on a white '61 RI due to a sniping bot about 3 months before I bought this standard.

I will say this about the MIM Strats and Teles, (having owned a few of both)

as good as the quality may be they still don't compare to my 52 Tele and my American Strat.

Are they worth the extra dinero? To me yes but I could afford it. Would i be happy with a mim if thats all I could budget? You betcha.

What they are is an excellent alternative for those unable to spend that much or those who enjoy tinkering and modding.

Also buying used mim is the way to go right now. Here in west PA CL has tons of Teles and Strats for $300 and lower and thats negotiable.

Some great guitars at great prices.

Yesterday, I took a trip to GC. Hoping to play a GC Duo Jet (they had none) I decided to try out different teles.

I really liked the feel of the Mexi Teles, but I preferred the pickups on the Squier Classic Vibe [blink]

To me, the difference between a American and Mexican Teles aren't prevalent enough for me to pony up the dough

Yesterday, I took a trip to GC. Hoping to play a GC Duo Jet (they had none) I decided to try out different teles.

I really liked the feel of the Mexi Teles, but I preferred the pickups on the Squier Classic Vibe [blink]

To me, the difference between a American and Mexican Teles aren't prevalent enough for me to pony up the dough

Although I really enjoyed playing my mim Fenders they were the first to go on CL when I found something else I was gassing for and all of them I made a small profit on.

This may be because my 52 AVRI Tele kicks A$$ but I'm just speculating.msp_thumbup.gif

Archived