Gibson Brands Forums

Angry Birds - Is there a bigger time waster?

Riverside

I kinda like that game. It gets pretty challenging. As far as a waste of time though? I think the same thing can be said for all video games.

No, belive it or not, people can learn from video games. This game teaches you...?

You know how kids have learned how to read because of video games?

No, belive it or not, people can learn from video games. This game teaches you...?

Way back when (early '90s), my kids learned a lot from "playing" on the computer.

BIL hated it - he thought they'd ruin my machine.

I told him I'd buy them a new keyboard whenever they needed one.

Didn't work out too bad.

But those dang birds ate up several of my hours leaving me nothing to show for it.

Way back when (early '90s), my kids learned a lot from "playing" on the computer.

BIL hated it - he thought they'd ruin my machine.

I told him I'd buy them a new keyboard whenever they needed one.

Didn't work out too bad.

But those dang birds ate up several of my hours leaving me nothing to show for it.

Exactly its sorta like books.

You can read a book on on really nothing and not learn.

While at the same time you can read a book on physics and learn a lot.

Do they have any that teach you how to write properly as well?

I can think of a few people that I would send a copy to.

Yea, I do think it's fair to say that modern video games CAN teach you things. Newer games are more complex.

The only thing Asteroids ever taught me is that teleporters don't care if you reappear right in front of a big rock.

Video Games are no more of a mind-rotter than TV or movies :rolleyes:

For me, they are.

At least a TV show or movie is over when it's over.

Those damm birds just kept wanting more. And the only word I heard were from the Pigs grunting "Nerd"!

Does anyone remember "Lemmings"?

That one was also a great time waster.

For me, they are.

At least a TV show or movie is over when it's over.

Those damm birds just kept wanting more. And the only word I heard were from the Pigs grunting "Nerd"!

Does anyone remember "Lemmings"?

That one was also a great time waster.

Cell phone games, yes, most of those are time wasters.

If I need to waste time (like during a faculty meeting or something) I generally go for solitaire or scrabble. At least they require some brain power. I noticed that my son has put Angry Birds on my iPhone but I have not played it.

I'm listening to my 27 year old son on COD black ops. He's playing online. He goes mad at it. Like a little kid. It's quite funny. I hear him calling his mates to get the helicopter etc. They get so involved.

Perhaps he'll learn how to speak "physics" like dem00n...

My eldest son learned correct English, spelling, how to type, count money, and manage a budget, not to mention the cool aspect of "if you want money you gotta go work for it", all from playing Everquest while being homeschooled. For him it was just playing a game, but we watched as his performance in the "big 3" increased dramatically... to the point where he passed his HS proficiency exam in April of his Jr. year. When she gave us the score , the lady looked at us bewildered and said: "This is good enough for him to graduate!"

I also have had the priviledge to meet a young African lady who taught herself English by listening to Country music and watching Oprah. She'd use the words on the album sleeves while listening to the songs and such. Very clever girl!

Which is a VERY long way of saying, I think it depends largely on the individual doing the playing/watching... :)

I'm at a point where there's only one game I really play on digital media...

http://www.websudoku.com/

Better yet, I have several books of the puzzles that I can pull out occasionally. I don't play very often, but there's something I like very much about them, because they're challenging but never impossible, and the solutions depend wholly on the player's application of logic.

Archived